GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda Canada has acknowledged that the odometers in 2000-2007 Honda cars are not accurate.
A lady in BC went after Honda and proved that the mileage on her car is higher than actual mileage she travelled, which affects cost to customers on lease returns, warranty issues, & trade-in value.

Wonder if this may affect their motorcycles?

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I sure would like to know how she proved it, unless it was a rental with a tracker GPS in it. If it's rental, why would she complain?????:shrug:

Have a link to the story?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Honda's rational might involve the fact that they have a 3 year unlimited mileage guarantee. It could still effect the resale value though.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,551 Posts
Honda Canada has acknowledged that the odometers in 2000-2007 Honda cars are not accurate.
A lady in BC went after Honda and proved that the mileage on her car is higher than actual mileage she travelled, which affects cost to customers on lease returns, warranty issues, & trade-in value.

Wonder if this may affect their motorcycles?
Honda fixed the issue with their cars. My 09 Honda Civic is dead on with my GPS, both the speedometer and the odometer.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just wondering. Could this be fixed by Honda with a simple firmware update? And is there such a thing as a simple firmware update fior the GL1800?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just wondering. Could this be fixed by Honda with a simple firmware update? And is there such a thing as a simple firmware update fior the GL1800?
I don't believe so. I had a senior Honda GL tech tell me back in 2001 when my new GL1800 was running rich that the engine control module on the GL1800 had about the same computing power as a Honda Accord ECM from the mid 80's.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
No ability to flash the ECU, when they needed an update for the overheating issue they had to physically replace the units...

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Ok. My brain still wants to fall back on the Valkyrie ODO showing LESS miles while the SPEEDO showed MORE MPH.

The stuff you linked said nothing about how the evidence was presented. One would presume proof is a simple metered test of enough vehicles in the class against a GPS or one of those "BICYCLE WHEELED" meters hooked to the back bumper that Consumer Reports used to use.

Easy enough.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
The information package sent out by Honda Canada to the owners of involved vehicles says in part...

"Although these odometers were within the design tolerance standard of the Society of Automotive Engineers ("SAE"), Honda has agreed to settle the class actions in the interest of customer satisfaction. It has agreed to do so without any admission of liability."

"Please note that although the proposed settlement affects warranty mileage limits, the time limits on all warranties remain unchanged."

"The proposed settlement cannot be implemented until it is approved by the courts in Ontario, B.C., and Quebec. It is anticipated that court approval will be obtained by April 2009."

More information at www.canada-odo-action.ca

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Why does everyone keep mentioning the ECM? The ECM has nothing to do with the odometer. All speedometer and odometer functions are self contained in the instrument cluster.

I haven't seen the inside of a Goldwing instrument cluster, but it is highly unlikely that it contains a flashrom. Any modification would probably involve replacing the microprocessor. In most devices like this, programming is hard coded in ROM in the micro.

Don't hold your breath on a change for the Goldwing. While the speedometer may be off by 5-6%, the odometer is only off about 2-3%. With unlimited mileage, there isn't a warranty issue. There aren't any lease turn in issues with a motorcycle, and a bike with 97,000 miles on it isn't going to be worth any less than a bike with 94,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I think it already has. The 2009 models no longer have the 5mph speedo error. My guess is that the class action lawsuit was the reason for Honda stopping this practice.
A correct speedometer reading does not necessarily mean a correct odometer reading. It is possible that even though your speedometer is accurate per GPS, the odometer can still be off.

The class action suit is related to odometer error, not speedometer error.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
The difference would be in the magnitude of something like this:

Odometer mileage reading: 37,550 miles

Actual mileage on vehicle: 36,470 miles

Obviously not really significant as far as typical resale, but mighty important as far as warranty work or an <excessive mileage> charge on a lease return.

A 36 month lease with 12,000 miles per year and a $.40 penalty for excessive mileage would result in about $390 in bogus fees.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
My 02 added 4 miles every 100 miles, thats 40 every 1,000 miles 400 every 10,000 miles, it does add up after a while. Will putting a 70 series tire on the back help?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Will putting a 70 series tire on the back help?
Well you are probably getting around 3.75% error now, with the 70 series tire your speedometer will be almost spot on, but you will still have an odometer error of maybe 2%.

Soooo to answer your question, yes it will help, but it won't be very much help. It really doesn't make much difference if a bike has 103.750 miles on it or 100,000 or 102,900 miles anyway.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Well you are probably getting around 3.75% error now, with the 70 series tire your speedometer will be almost spot on, but you will still have an odometer error of maybe 2%.

Soooo to answer your question, yes it will help, but it won't be very much help. It really doesn't make much difference if a bike has 103.750 miles on it or 100,000 or 102,900 miles anyway.
Ok, I am obviously a little slow, so you have to explain that one to me. From what has been reported by most people over the years on this board, the speedometer is off by about 6% on most bikes, and the odometer is off by about 3%. How is a larger tire going to make a 6% correction on the speedometer, and only a 1% correction on the odometer?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,551 Posts
My 02 added 4 miles every 100 miles, thats 40 every 1,000 miles 400 every 10,000 miles, it does add up after a while. Will putting a 70 series tire on the back help?
My 03's odometer was the same way....4 miles more every 100 miles. I installed a Yellow Box set for a 6.5% correction factory and now my speedometer reads true speed and my odometer now reads 2 miles less for every 100 miles.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Why does everyone keep mentioning the ECM? The ECM has nothing to do with the odometer. All speedometer and odometer functions are self contained in the instrument cluster.

I haven't seen the inside of a Goldwing instrument cluster, but it is highly unlikely that it contains a flashrom. Any modification would probably involve replacing the microprocessor. In most devices like this, programming is hard coded in ROM in the micro.
You are absolutely correct... The only way to correct is with an electronic frequency changer (Yellow Box or Speedo Healer)...

FYI: The instrument head contains ALL the electronics for the displays.. If you swap a US head for a Canadian the temp and odometer read metric units..

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
How is a larger tire going to make a 6% correction on the speedometer, and only a 1% correction on the odometer?
My answer was directed to a particular post that was experiencing only about a 3.75% speedometer error, not 6%. He asked it a 70 series tire would help, and of course it would, since it has a larger circumference than the OEM tire.

Apparently the instrument panel logic board has two different algorithms, one for the speedometer and one for the odometer. If the algorithms were the same, it would be possible to ride your motorcycle at an indicated 60 mph for 10 minutes and have the odometer show exactly 10 miles, regardless of the speedometer error. Both indicated readings would still be incorrect, but at least they would agree. As it is now, they won't agree and I suspect they never will. That suggests two different algorithms, since there is only one electrical pulse.

Regarding the discrepancy between odometer and speedometer accuracy after the installation of a 70 series tires, the anecdotal evidence has been pretty clear: Speedo is spot on, odo is still slightly off. The percentage of error correction after the tire install is not linear between the two instruments. It is quite possible to correct a 3.75% speedometer error yet still have a 1% odometer error.

Those with speed-o-healers indicate that when the speedometer is corrected, the odometer is still off. One recent post indicated a true GPS distance of 254.9 miles and an odo mileage of 259.1 miles..showing a 1% error on the odometer of a motorcycle with a calibrated (within 0.1%) speedometer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts