GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which front tire to match an E3 on the rear?

• Avon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metzler

• Bridgestone

• Other (which one?)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the Dunlops are so hard to get and I need a new front tire NOW (lol), what do you guys recommend? I have an E3 on the rear with less than a thousand miles on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It doesn't make any difference one way or the other. The only ones that claim it makes a difference are the tire manufacturers and the tire dealers. The only difference it makes is in the thickness of yours and thier wallets. They prefer that yours be as thin and light as possible while thiers is as thick and heavy as possible.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Didn't vote... no choice for "Any of the above".

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Running an E3 70 on the rear right now with a Stone on the front. Works fine, handles pretty good.

The 70 E3 was my only choice to continue our adventure when I ran out of tread on the rear Stone in northern AZ. :oops:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
David M. - actually that is a tough call. Not so much in what front tire I think is best (IMO, it's clearly the G709), but when it's all said and done, you still have the E-3 on the rear, which I personally have found just doesn't cut it on the 1800 The rear E-3 is still going to be very noisey and in wet weather, I still found the rear Dunlop broke loose on wet pavement, so I didn't like it a bit. I couldn't get my rear E-3 off fast enough following a wet 2500 mile trip last year, so I don't plan on revisiting that rear tire ever again.

IMO, get the Stone G709 front and then ask the question again.

DaleC

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, Bridgestones it is. They should be here Monday from Hal, whose salesman said they have 17 in stock.

Thanks, guys!
David M.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
A lot of guys run a small rear tire on the front, Such as a 130/70-18 Michelin rear. Gives very good life and they handle just fine. Then install a good car tire on the rear and you have a husky set of tires that will take a pounding.

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
I would say E3 but since you cannot get- I hear good things about the Brigstone 709s. I will try these next.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
currntly ME880 front D250 rear

I am another "couldn't vote" as I would not have an E3 on the rear. It was the worst rear tire I have had on a GL1800 (haven't tried Avon). An E3 on front is OK, but it unnerves me a bit not having any "chicken strips" as I run it out to the edge of tread. Although, I will put an E3 on the rear before I put a D250 or Avon on the front because of tread design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts