GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for a ride this am (1100ish), when I was headed out of town going thru a school zone so luckly I was going 40km. When out of no where I deer jump in front of me no time to hit the brake In one bounced was in front of me then in the ditch across the road. I don't know who was more surprised Me, him or the 3 ton stake truck on my a$$. Any faster I would have hit him any slower I would have been layed out by the truck behind me. Nobody got hit so I kept going on my ride with dinner plates for eyes. Deer are very commond here you get to know where the hang out but sometimes they like to suprise you. My lesson learned was no matter how many time you go down the same road keep alert.:shock:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Stupid deer don't know the difference between SCHOOL CROSSING signs and DEER CROSSING signs ... :roll:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Never understood why they put deer crossing signs on busy roads... Why dont they just put them out in the country with less traffic and let them cross there..

Smitty:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Never understood why they put deer crossing signs on busy roads... Why dont they just put them out in the country with less traffic and let them cross there.. Smitty:popcorn:
Actually...they put them up only where they have a lot of collisions...it's not like they actually know WHERE the deer actually cross. Not very scientific.

·
Registered
264 Posts
A co-worker hit a deer yesterday morning on his way to work. He was riding a Sportster, and did not fair well. Broken ribs, clavical and road rash. Still in the hospital in St. Louis....

:eek:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Actually...they put them up only where they have a lot of collisions...it's not like they actually know WHERE the deer actually cross. Not very scientific.
It was a joke. ;) Ya know put the signs out in the country so the deer will not cross in town. Lol!

I am glad the guy missed the deer. Sorry about the guy on the sportster. They will be moving a lot soon, hunting season will be here.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Was on the BRP last month and a Buddy hit a Bambi (small Deer) with his Valk Interstate. He was riding two up. The deer died he kept the bike up with minimal damage. He also had deer whistles.

They scare the heck out of me

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm Very defensive of cars and trucks but deer are the only thing that scare me on the road.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
We missed a bear yesterday. I saw movement in the woods ahead of me and got it slowed down to about 30 when the bear ran out and across the road about 25 yards ahead. That's close enough.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Was on the BRP last month and a Buddy hit a Bambi (small Deer) with his Valk Interstate. He was riding two up. The deer died he kept the bike up with minimal damage. He also had deer whistles.

They scare the heck out of me
Deer whistles scare the heck out of me too. I removed mine just for that reason...

·
Registered
673 Posts
We hit a deer last night . In our 2005 Toyota Highlander . Wife was driving , no one was hurt . He came out of nowhere . Now waiting on the Insurance adjuster.
thomas

·
Registered
200 Posts
ok, I know that you all will not believe this but my wife has hit 15 deer. 8 of them since we have been married! woman is a deer magnet.

·
Registered
340 Posts
We missed a bear yesterday. I saw movement in the woods ahead of me and got it slowed down to about 30 when the bear ran out and across the road about 25 yards ahead. That's close enough.

BEARLY missed him, eh?

·
Registered
803 Posts
A few weeks ago the wife was in a car and she saw a bear run from the woods
toward the road. It was scared by a van in front of her and ran back to the woods. I'd hate to hit a bear as it might want some pay back when and if he could get to you.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
So ... what was the bear doing in the woods ???

:roll:

The usual ???

·
Registered
386 Posts
To mike06gw,

Mike, get your wife a rifle or bow and tell her to stop hunting deer with the truck. :joke:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Some of those signs are needed in the cities as well. That's were I've had the largest number of close calls. No signs.
Keep aware of the surroundings.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Glad all came out AOKAY for you!

Came extremely close myself to hitting a HUGE Buck last night coming up the mountain. Looked like he was one of about 4 or 5 bucks running together. Although, I think he would have lost? Since I was in my 1 ton dually crewcab that I have one of those aftermarket front bumper and grills like a freight train.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts