GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any F6b pilots also had a full wing? Do you miss not having the reverse feature? Even with reverse do you choose parking position carefully like we do on the F6b? I’ve done alot to my bike to make it perfect for my needs. Traxxion, Henrys final drive, ultimate seat, windbender windshield, Centramatics are the major stuff that makes me really like the bike. Reverse is the only feature I want that I don’t have. According to Greg it is not something that is obtainable. So those that have bikes with reverse, do you park wherever it’s convenient or do you still think out the position then park?
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Tour DCT and find I like the reverse feature. I can back into a space comfortably with my wife still on board. It's not a MUST have feature but nice.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Nice to have, but not essential for me. BUT, my wife rides a 2006 and flat out could not back up the bike without it.

I do use it all the time. I used it to back the bike in the garage just a bit ago. I use it to back out of a parking space all the time... I'll only back in a spot if it's a slight down hill spot.

Oh, didn't have an F6B but did have a '98 Valk. Thing was a beast to handle parking...

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I've had two wings (2002) (2010) and very rarely use the reverse........... Now I have triked out my 2010 (and I always find a spot to park), where I don't have to use reverse

Ronnie

1/15/22

Reactions: Audiochris90

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I use reverse every time I ride, to get over lip in garage. I would not have a Goldwing without it. I have a 03 with 50k+ on it. No worries 2 up wherever I park. Best magic button on the bike next to cruise control.

·
Registered
2016 F6B Standard
151 Posts
What I've lost without having reverse on my 2016 F6B...I've gained in style and looks. The F6B just looks faster even when it's sitting still AND if the loss of the added weight of the "reverse system" gets me better performance I'll take it. To be fair, I'm 6'3", don't have a passenger, and can still muscle the bike in most situation.

BUT...You'll have to take my cruise control from my Cold Dead Hands.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A lot depends on your age or more precisely your physical shape. I always use reverse to back out of the garage. It also comes in very handy in maneuvering down South where parking can frequently be on a compound angle and trying to maintain balance, not have your boots slip and backing up simultaneously can be a challenge. I have a 2021 bagger DCT. It had the style and reverse.

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
530 Posts
Ha, one of the major factors in my decision to buy my Wing was that it had the reverse feature. Muscling around 700 plus pounds of motorcycle is no fun and becoming more risky as I near 70. My bulges have migrated from my biceps to my gut it seems, and my desire/ability to live w/o a reverse has migrated too.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think the correct answer here is... "It depends". If you ask some who is 80 with weak legs if they value reverse the answer will likely be "Yes". Someone younger perhaps not so much.

Do you have a physical issue backing up a bike? If yes, then I'd consider one with reverse. My riding buddy has been on wings since 2006 (He just got a 2018 in 2019) and on all our trips I saw him use reverse perhaps once. Prior to me getting my 2018 Non-Tour (with no reverse), I never owned a bike with that feature but had heavy bikes. I always made sure I didn't do something idiotic like park facing downhill with no way out. My BMW was lighter by far, but still pretty tough to push uphill.

Like you, I didn't want a tour. So much that I forgo the Tour features (Darn TMPS not showing the actual reading still ticks me off however, that was just software!)

I would have liked to have it, but not enough to buy the tour to get it. I can easily push my wing backwards on flat ground, but I'm not pushing that beast uphilll backwards! I just pay attention when I park.

·
Registered
2019 Gold Wing Tour - Hawkseye Blue
110 Posts
Have any F6b pilots also had a full wing? Do you miss not having the reverse feature? Even with reverse do you choose parking position carefully like we do on the F6b? I’ve done alot to my bike to make it perfect for my needs. Traxxion, Henrys final drive, ultimate seat, windbender windshield, Centramatics are the major stuff that makes me really like the bike. Reverse is the only feature I want that I don’t have. According to Greg it is not something that is obtainable. So those that have bikes with reverse, do you park wherever it’s convenient or do you still think out the position then park? View attachment 394369
My '19 Tour is the first bike I've had with reverse and I have to admit I've only used it once in a bit over 7,000 miles. Having had three HD Electra Glides, a superglide and a 1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 I will say that I long envied folks with reverse but by the same token - all those miles trained me to park smart on a bike. Just because I have my current bike doesn't mean I pull into a downhill parking spot head on - no way - it's just ingrained in me and a habit to stop and back in ass first to those spots. So for me it falls into the nice to have but rarely used category.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My '19 Tour is the first bike I've had with reverse and I have to admit I've only used it once in a bit over 7,000 miles. Having had three HD Electra Glides, a superglide and a 1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 I will say that I long envied folks with reverse but by the same token - all those miles trained me to park smart on a bike. Just because I have my current bike doesn't mean I pull into a downhill parking spot head on - no way - it's just ingrained in me and a habit to stop and back in ass first to those spots. So for me it falls into the nice to have but rarely used category.
Well that’s good to know. The F6b will never have reverse but I wanted to know if it’s critical. Sounds like it’s a really nice feature to have but not necessary. Now watch me get stuck parking with a bunch of girls watching.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I would miss it, and I did miss it a few times when I rode out east last Aug/Sept. My gear position sensor in my 2010 was acting up and failing to show "N" which prevents Reverse. I normally don't do anything special for parking except for the tail end of that trip when I was afraid I would need it really bad and not have it (pulling a trailer adds to the problem). But I gave up paying attention to trying not need reverse because I was finding too many times where I thought I was OK only to find a slight sandy lot made foot traction very iffy. I would rather pop it in reverse and not worry about sliding a foot and down it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just picked up a 2022. And since they don't offer the "bagger" in a manual for some reason, I have the DCT and so also have reverse. Its not necessary, but is a nice to have, though I still usually back into any spot that's on a downhill so I can take off easily.

Think the new color looks pretty sick.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Is reverse necessary? Nope. Like said, just be careful of where you park. I never had a F6b, but I'd imagine it's like any other 800lb+ bike. You gotta be smarter than the bike when it comes to parking. Sometimes that's tougher than it sounds.

Say you get there before the Saturday morning cartoons are over, and nobody is there. Lots of room, easy to park. I'll take the spot up front, on the tarmac. Who needs reverse? Not this guy.

The busier the place, the more chance you're not going to have the picture perfect parking spot. Especially doing a group ride to a popular biker destination for instance. Parking on grass, with a bunch of bikes stacked up, double file. No problem. That's when I love reverse.

Can you stand flat footed on the bike? That matters a great deal.

Unsure footing, with a slight incline, 2up, and pulling a trailer. Reverse is nice, no matter the age of the rider.

If I lived out east in the mountains, I feel I'd appreciate reverse, a lot more then say a guy who rides in a big square state out west where you double the population of the town, just rolling threw.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, unless you end up having the wife getting off and pushing a few times. They tend not to like that.

Enjoy your F6b! It's a great looking bike!

Reactions: JoeHall
1 - 19 of 19 Posts