GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been helping a buddy of mine change the main driveshaft on his '05 Wing and when we removed the final drive unit we found that there was no spring fitted to the small rear shaft.

The buddy has owned this bike since it was just over two years old and had about 9000 miles on, it now has over 49000 miles on so it has been running for over 40000 miles without that spring!

Anyone come across this before?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I've been helping a buddy of mine change the main driveshaft on his '05 Wing and when we removed the final drive unit we found that there was no spring fitted to the small rear shaft.

The buddy has owned this bike since it was just over two years old and had about 9000 miles on, it now has over 49000 miles on so it has been running for over 40000 miles without that spring!

Anyone come across this before?
My wife says I have a screw loose, but as far as I know, no missing springs.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
My wife says I have a screw loose, but as far as I know, no missing springs.
Your wife ain't the Lone Ranger :22yikes: :joke::joke::joke::lol:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
That spring is there to help factory installation and also keeps the driveshaft from floating front to back. Not a big deal if it is missing as the shaft will only float about 1/4 inch and it's on the output shaft more than an inch.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
That spring is there to help factory installation and also keeps the driveshaft from floating front to back. Not a big deal if it is missing as the shaft will only float about 1/4 inch and it's on the output shaft more than an inch.
Someone on here had one that came unhooked from the engine because he left that spring out.
Don't remember who it was.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts