GL1800Riders Forums banner

Mistake

9K views 47 replies 30 participants last post by  keninsenm 
#1 ·
I has a csc trike kit put on my 02 gl1800. Thought it was what I wanted. Have only ridden it about 1,000 miles but I am really struggling with the trike ride vs the 2 wheeler ride. Feel like I am "driving" the trike instead of "riding" it. I triked mainly to eliminate the tip over factor and having to worry about gravel, u turns etc etc. But now I miss my two wheeler bad. to the point that I am thinking of selling the trike which the kit is basically brand new and then going back to two wheels.

I am sure I am not the first person to have these oh no I made a mistake feelings.

Help me out here for those of you that had the same feelings Tell me your experiences if you will share them.

Thanks.

Rich

#2 ·
I'm sure that if I was able to still ride a 2 wheeler that I would have the same thoughts as you. But unfortunately, the only way that I can still ride is on 3 wheels. So, sacrifices are made and dealt with and knowing that I don't have the option of 2 wheels anymore, I enjoy the trike as much as I ever did a bike.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do and I'm sure that most can understand your dilemma:yes1:

#3 ·
Well Rich you sure are not alone. Although I'm a bit surprised you are this dissatisfied since I'm sure the CSC conversion has done exactly what you were seeking. Yes, you gave up the "Two Wheel" feel for the security of three. Yes you do steer the trike more then becoming one with the machine. And, yes there are others that have considered going back to a two wheel bike.

I converted my '06 nearly three years ago because it was really touch and go if I could hold it up any longer. A year ago I had my right hip replaced and came very close to selling. As it turned out that would have been a HUGE mistake for a couple reasons. First I would have given up all the reasons you converted. Tar snakes, gravel, sand, other debris are issues that scare the crap out of me. I did some serious soul searching and decided to keep the trike. Smart move because I have since had a total left knee replacement.

My best advise is to ride and ride and ride. In 1000 miles I would have thought you would be pretty much in tune with your CSC but maybe it will take you a bit longer. Not knowing your riding style or desire to push the envelope I can't say much. I think my aggressive style helped me to "feel" the trike and become at ease quickly. I truly hope you can also reach that point.

#4 ·
No mistake'''''

I did about the same thing your talking about, For a long time when i would start stopping i would put my left foot out to hold the bike up when i stopped, talk ABOUT fell stupid,,I couldn't get used to not leaning in the curves. I had got to the point of wabbling a lot on my slow down's. riding 2-up. gravel was very bad. Wife was getting un-eazy on the back of the 2 wheeler,, So we went the 3 wheel route. { So- if- you- can } stay with it for a while.. I LOVE THE FEEL OF THE TWO WHEELER.. IT'S FREEDOM. ''BUT'' I ALSO LOVE MY WIFE;;{ WHAT CAN I SAY } { HANG IN THERE} It only gets better believe me.:yes1::yes1: Harold :joke:

#7 ·
need to move to florida where you can sit back n ride ! dont need to steer here much :lol::lol: give it some time -sometime it takes awhile for change

#8 ·
GOOGLE gl1800 landing gear It is an automated set of wheels that automatically drop down at walking speed to hold your bike up at parking lot speeds and while backing up but then retract back up at normal speeds to give you the two wheel riding,, I tried them at americade two years ago worked just as promised.. The Japanese version is even concealed under the bike into the exhaust pipes

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gl1800+landing+gear&qpvt=gl1800+landing+gear&FORM=IGRE

#9 ·
I know someday because of physical limitations I will no longer be able to ride a bike, but people say "you can always get a trike". I know I will never have a trike because of having to drive instead of ride. Maybe I'll buy a convertible.
As as able bodied late middle aged rider who still rides on two wheels, regularly does track days, owns a convertible, and thoroughly enjoys the Trike for what it is and offers, my advise would be to open your mind to things that are different and not worry about what others say or think. No its not the same as a two wheeler, its also not the same as a convertible, and its not for everyone but you might just find its also not what you preconceived either.

To the OP I would suggest as other have. If you still want to give it a chance just relax and ride. :thumbup:

#10 ·
Maybe if you give it more time....I would predict you'd be missing the trike and some $ if you decide to return to two wheels. Maybe you're feeling some perceived peer pressure? I recall saying I'd never do the trike, but then one day I got older, wanted to continue to ride two up in the TN mountains.

#11 ·
Do whatever you want.
I had two choices, buy a trike or not ride. I bought a trike and yeah, it's different. I rode it almost 500 miles home the day I picked it up. For the first 50 miles I was wondering if I had screwed up too. Especially when I exited off an interstate onto a cloverleaf. No leaning at all! Scared the crap out of me!
By the time I got home, many hours later, I was in love with my new trike.
You just have to learn how to 'drive' it. It's still a motorcycle and now I feel so much better knowing my wife won't be hurt because of my balance issues or gravel or rain slick pavement.
As I said, do what you want and good luck!

#13 ·
Some Pointers

Do whatever you want.
I had two choices, buy a trike or not ride. I bought a trike and yeah, it's different. I rode it almost 500 miles home the day I picked it up. For the first 50 miles I was wondering if I had screwed up too. Especially when I exited off an interstate onto a cloverleaf. No leaning at all! Scared the crap out of me!
By the time I got home, many hours later, I was in love with my new trike.
You just have to learn how to 'drive' it. It's still a motorcycle and now I feel so much better knowing my wife won't be hurt because of my balance issues or gravel or rain slick pavement.
As I said, do what you want and good luck!
Grandpa1 kind of nailed it, I rode my kit home 50 miles and wondered about my decision. A week later and apprehensive about it we took a 1500 mile trip to Arkansas by ourselves to really check out things on a non highway route so we could take our time. The first 100 miles I was scared to death and all tensed up with ever bump thinking I was maybe going in the ditch, kept reminding myself to relax and enjoy the ride, especially your arms & legs / the tighter turns took trial and error (not any error) to gauge the entrance to turn speed while practicing foot pressures to make me feel stable, and accelerating out of the turn, it was all me the spouse never had an idea of my apprehension. Another 200 miles down the road and 50 turns later I was relaxed again and back to my 2 wheel speeds...now I'm even faster once the turn factor is learned. I still have two wheel bikes but now rarely ride them.

It just takes some time, take a short trip as I did "non highway" and force the learning factor, if your trikes suspension is not tight enough your trike body could be rolling to much. Once I tightened that suspension to kill some of that roll it was much better.... so take a trip to see if you need to adjust something (two up if that's the way you ride, you need back seat feedback also). Outside turn foot pressure and relax..... Hope that helps!! Enjoy what you have you did it for a reason, I did mine for the spouse so I wouldn't drop her some where!!

#14 ·
I have been riding since I was 16.
Always had to have go fast ones and never thought about a trike.
Went to a brand new wing in 1989.
We enjoyed it for many years, but every time we went out west, my wife didn't like the way the wind would push us around.
Also due age, to my knees getting bad, holding it up and gravel, etc, trips were not fun any more.
In 2006, I retired and sold my pizza business.
The first thing I did was to find a Honda dealer that also installed Champion kits. I found that dealer and ordered a new Goldwing and had it triked.
We picked it up a month later.
Never driven one , I decided this-
The dealer was 300 miles from my house so I took my truck and enclosed snowmoblie trailer down to pick it up.
The dealer drove into the trailer and we tied it down.
We towed it home and unloaded it.
We sat on it and decided to take our first ride around our small town.
Our dealer warned us to remember this- It's wider then your two wheeler so never park to close to the curb or gas pumps.
We came back with the biggest smile on our faces and decide we did the right move.
We don't miss the 2 wheels and will drive this one into the ground.

#15 ·
Give it time. Once you get the feel of it you will enjoy riding again. I've heard it said. The first 1,000 miles you say what did I do. The second 1,000 miles you say, this isn't so bad. The third 1,000 miles, why didn't I do this sooner. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

#16 ·
GOOGLE gl1800 landing gear It is an automated set of wheels that automatically drop down at walking speed to hold your bike up at parking lot speeds and while backing up but then retract back up at normal speeds to give you the two wheel riding,, I tried them at americade two years ago worked just as promised.. The Japanese version is even concealed under the bike into the exhaust pipes

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gl1800+landing+gear&qpvt=gl1800+landing+gear&FORM=IGRE
I have dealt with Pete, the owner of Landing Gear and you will find him and his company to be everything you could hope for. Calls for assistance are taken care of immediately , questions are answered and every effort will be made to ensure you leave a happy camper!
This is a top rated company!!

#17 ·
You already paid for it--and with good reason. Might as well ride it. I say ride the heck out of it. Beat the ever loving crap out of it. Drive it over rocks and gravel. Take it around on ramps, through the mountains, down dirt roads, over curbs. Ride the snot out of that thing! What have you got yo loose?

If you decide the sell it, just wash it twice, polish it up good and brag about all the cool places you took it.

If you go back to two wheels, consider a CT as I've heard they give a more stable feeling at very low speeds. Then take the a Ride Like a Pro class and see if that allows you to be more comfortable crawling around on your Wing. Until then, wear out a couple of sets of tires AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN, then decide if you like the trike.

#18 ·
It's already been said, but I'll chime in anyway.

When I got my trike in '06 I was beside myself, I figured I had screwed up a perfectly good motorcycle. But after 1-2K I was in love with it and wished I had done it sooner. Now I would hate to go back to two wheels.

Hang in there you'll get the hang of it.

#19 ·
Doesn't have to be trike or 2 wheeler. My wife won't ride on my 2 whelers, but she likes the trike. I like the trike, but nothing like two wheels and curvy roads.

#20 ·
Trike

I had the same feeling when I got mine...shortly afterwards I read this (I think on this forum) about what a new Triker goes thru.
1) Oh Crap, what did I just do?
2) Maybe this is not so bad
3) I like this
4) Why did I wait so long.
After two years I wouldn't go back to 2 wheels.

#21 ·
I had the same feeling when I got mine...shortly afterwards I read this (I think on this forum) about what a new Triker goes thru.
1) Oh Crap, what did I just do?
2) Maybe this is not so bad
3) I like this
4) Why did I wait so long.
After two years I wouldn't go back to 2 wheels.
That sums it up :thumbup:

#23 ·
Forward to Stubborn Brother

I just forwarded this to my brother, begging him to read it. He is almost 68 (with a knee and hip replaced about 20 years ago) who rides a 650 Star (Yamaha) which is a fairly light scooter. In the past 4 or 5 months, he has dropped it more than 6 times, and has NEVER been able to pick it up. Lucky he (himself) no damage, and only once a broken turn signal and clutch lever. He now urgently needs the other hip replaced. His wife is an out-of-doors person, but has only been on the 650 once! I'm sure if he ever gets a trike, she would ride with him a lot.

He has taken a remote interest in a Spider and I've sent him quite a few forum postings on pros & cons, and dissatisfied Spider riders, I don't dare write another word. (Or even a 950 or 1100 Suzuki or Yamaha trike conversion.) But there are no big trike dealers in NM or AZ. If he could gain access to Tony's Trikes or The Coach, I think he would be sold on a wing immediately.

Don't regret the trike. I bought a 750 Shadow while my trike was in for long term repair, and though it was fun most of the time, but I had lost some touches off 2 wheel riding, and had some scares with gravel, and a diagonal bridge expansion joint.

#24 ·
Arizona & New Mexico Dealers

I just forwarded this to my brother, begging him to read it. He is almost 68 (with a knee and hip replaced about 20 years ago) who rides a 650 Star (Yamaha) which is a fairly light scooter. In the past 4 or 5 months, he has dropped it more than 6 times, and has NEVER been able to pick it up. Lucky he (himself) no damage, and only once a broken turn signal and clutch lever. He now urgently needs the other hip replaced. His wife is an out-of-doors person, but has only been on the 650 once! I'm sure if he ever gets a trike, she would ride with him a lot.

He has taken a remote interest in a Spider and I've sent him quite a few forum postings on pros & cons, and dissatisfied Spider riders, I don't dare write another word. (Or even a 950 or 1100 Suzuki or Yamaha trike conversion.) But there are no big trike dealers in NM or AZ. If he could gain access to Tony's Trikes or The Coach, I think he would be sold on a wing immediately.

Don't regret the trike. I bought a 750 Shadow while my trike was in for long term repair, and though it was fun most of the time, but I had lost some touches off 2 wheel riding, and had some scares with gravel, and a diagonal bridge expansion joint.

Blueribbon

Couldn't find very many but maybe this will help...

Here's a few, don't know how close to him:

ROADSMITH

D & D Discount MCTempeAZ85281480-731-9003

Southwest TrikesPhoenixAZ85027480-951-7171
Pickups & MorePortalesNM88130575-356-6295
Accessory PitAlbuquerqueNM87112877-292-2701

CSC

C&R Cycles
Tucson, Arizona 85714
United States
520 326 0648
www.crcyclestucson.com
tagalongtuscon@aol.com
Sierra Vista Cycles
Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635
United States
520 459 2589
www.sierracycles.com
david@sierracycles.com

Pickups & More Trike Conversions

Portales, New Mexico 88130
United States
575 356 6295
www.pickupsandmore.com
pickupsandmore@yahoo.com

CHAMPION

Desert Thunder Motorcycle Shop3585 Maricopa Ave.

Lake Havasu City, AZ 86406
(928)854-1550

dtcycleshop@gmail.com

DFT

D&D Discount Motorcycles
Desert Thunder Custom
Scotts Custom LLC
The Motorcycle Shop
The Trike Shop

Tempe
Lake Havasu
Surprise
Golden Valley
Humboldt

(480) 731-9003
(928) 854-1550
(623) 572-1978
(926) 565-3642
(928) 632-8910
Hard & Down Motorcycle Co.

Las Cruces(575)541-6060

Hannigan

[h=1]Arizona Trike Shop[/h]
Trikes

3650 S. Hwy. 69

Humboldt, AZ 86328
Jesus Cruz
928-632-8910
thetrikeshop@live.com
http://www.arizonatrikeshop.com

[h=1]Accessory Pit[/h]
Trikes Sidecars Trailers

8509 Constitution NE
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87112
Rick Howell
505-292-2700 Fax: 505-332-2133
rick@accessorypitusa.com
http://www.accessorypitusa.com

LEHMAN

Desert Thunder Motorcycle Shop

3585 Maricopa Ave
Lake Havasu, Arizona - 86406. USA.
Tel:928-854-1550
Fax:928-854-1964
Email:dtcycleshop@gmail.com
*Authorized Harley-Davidson, Honda, and Kawasaki Trike Dealer.

RideNow Powersports Chandler

3333 North Arizona Ave
Chandler, Arizona - 85225. USA.
Tel:480-503-3333
Fax:480-539-2433
Email:chandlersales@ridenow.com
*Authorized Conversions for Honda and Authorized Trikes for Suzuki

Ridenow Powersports Goodyear

13690 W Test Drive
Goodyear, Arizona - 85338. USA.
Tel:623-925-8800
Fax:623-925-8808
Email:jselig@ridenow.com
*Authorized Kawasaki Trike Dealer. *Authorized Suzuki Trike Dealer. *Authorized Victory Trike Dealer.

Sierra Vista Cycles, LLC

2137 E. Fry Blvd.
Sierra Vista, Arizona - 85635. USA.
Tel:520-459-2589
Fax:520-458-8194
Email:balevitt@msn.com
*Authorized Dealer for Harley-Davidson, Honda, and Suzuki Trikes.

Star Island Motorsports

6500 E Hwy 69
Prescott Valley, Arizona - 86314. USA.
Tel:928-445-5730
Toll Free:877-341-8520
Fax:928-445-5976
Email:glenviper@gmail.com
*Authorized Kawasaki Trike Dealer.

Trikes by DJ

14495 N Adobe Trail
Prescott, Arizona - 86305. USA.
Tel:928-273-2728, cell 928-273-2728
Fax:928-273-2728
Email:trikesbydj@gmail.com
*Authorized Harley-Davidson, Honda, and Suzuki Trikes Dealer.

Garner's Yamaha, LLC

320 North Dal Paso St.
Hobbs, New Mexico - 88240. USA.
Tel:575-391-9933
Fax:575-397-0285
Email:rstar1300@aol.com
*Authorized Victory Trike Dealer

Hester's Motorsports, Inc.

1190 S 2nd St
Raton, New Mexico - 87740. USA.
Tel:575-445-3558
Fax:575-445-9488
Email:john.hester@hester-motorsports.com
*Authorized Kawasaki Trike Dealer.

Show Stoppers Unlimited

9319 Central NE
Albuquerque, New Mexico - 87123. USA.
Tel:505-888-2484
Fax:505-888-2482
Email:spidermannm@msh.com
*Authorized Harley-Davidson Trike Dealer. *Authorized Honda Trike Dealer. *Authorized Suzuki Trike Dealer.

West Honda

204 Frontage Road
Rio Rancho, New Mexico - 87124. USA.
Tel:505-994-3333
Fax:505-994-1354
Email:terry@westhonda.com
*Authorized Honda Trike Dealer.

Motor Trike

Southwest Trikes

329 W. Lone Cactus Drive, Suite # 2
Phoenix, AZ 85027 USA
480-951-7171 Phone
480-951-7194 Fax
Tracy@southwesttrikes.com
www.southwesttrikes.com

Scotts Customs

15725 W Peakview Rd
Surprise, AZ 85387 USA
623-512-1978 Phone
scottscustoms@aol.com
www.scottscustoms.com

Pickups & More

42641 US 70
Portales, NM 88130 USA
575-356-6295 Phone
575-356-8460 Fax
pickupsandmore@yahoo.com
www.pickupsandmore.com

Accessory Pit

8509 Constitution NE
Albuquerque, NM 87112 USA
505-292-2700 Phone
505-332-2133 Fax
apit@qwestoffice.net
http://accessorypitusa.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.