GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that I have on my shelf in the garage, three different brands of oil (QT's) .....two are syn and one regular/ all are motorcycle blends.....Would you mixed them all together and put in bike?? one brand is Honda oil/one is castoil/and the third is Mobil1 ????????????

Ronnie

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
It will be your own synthetic blend. Synthetic blends can also be purchased at auto parts stores.

·
IronMan
17,618 Posts
I'm almost positive someone will come along and tell you that you shouldn't do it...they are wrong.
DON'T DO IT !!!!!! :surprise: MIXING IT WILL MAKE "YOU " SICK WORRYING IF BIKE GONNA KNOCK / SMOKE / BREAK DOWN ETC. YOUR CALL ! ESPECIALLY SEEING YOU TRIKED IT ! ITS ALREADY CONFUSED WITH THE EXTRA CRAP "IT " HAS TO HAUL AROUND ! ENJOY ! :wink2::grin2:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Would you mixed them all together and put in bike??
I would not mix them all together. Can you...probably. Is it going to cause issues...probably not; however, I would not do it as I'm not that concerned with tossing 5-10 dollars worth of old oil in the recycle bin and starting out with the same brand for the oil change. Like everything else on these forums, your bike and your choice but I would stick with one brand.

·
Registered
802 Posts
You may just find that your custom blend to give your ride the smoothest running and best shifting oil you have ever used. Me, and I've mentioned it here in the past, really like my custom 50/50 blend of two quarts each Valvoline MC specific 10w-40 synthetic and non. Go for it and let us know what you think.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Different companies use different additives to boost their oil performance. I've been told that not all additives are compatible. I don't think your engine will blow up but why take a risk for the sake of a few dollars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't do it, your head will explode from all the negative ionic reactions.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Unless your oil changes have used the exact oil that came with your Wing, you've already mixed oils.
DING DING DING DING DING !!!

It's a motor. It ( motor ) cannot know the difference ( its a motor ) and certainly doesn't "care."

But the response above is based on FACTS. So, as I agree with all of the comments here saying it doesn't matter one bit, my favorite is THIS one because it's based on FACTS ONLY. You've ALREADY mixed or most certainly will sometime in the future. Yes.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Got any small 4 cycle engines in the fleet?

Lawnmower, roto-tiller, snow blower, small outboard, etc?

Great place to use up whichever ones are not your current 'oil of choice' for the wing.

As long as it meets the engine manufacturer's spec, I don't have any concern changing the 'oil of choice', but I don't intentionally make blends of oils from multiple manufacturers. Been a long time since I was stuck somewhere on the road with an engine that needed to have oil added - and used whatever the gas station was selling.

Kinda acknowledges how far both engines and oils have come.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I just noticed that I have on my shelf in the garage, three different brands of oil (QT's) .....two are syn and one regular/ all are motorcycle blends.....Would you mixed them all together and put in bike?? one brand is Honda oil/one is castoil/and the third is Mobil1 ????????????

Ronnie
If it was all the same brand probably no problem. But different brands and I am not a fan of Castrol or mobile 1 had had very bad experiences wi5h both.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts