GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a tread about brand of oil, or synthtic vs. mineral oil.

I use synthetic in my wing. My question is - if on a trip and I find myseld low on oil and the only oil available is non-synthetic will non-synthetic oil mix okay with synthetic oil?
tk

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If I remember correctly, it is a law or mandate or something that all oil must be ok to mix. YES most of the synthetic say you can mix with dino oil. It should be fine. I would be suprised if you need oil though.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Synthetic oil and dino oil WILL NOT MIX. Something is the way it is made.

I use to carry an extra quart of oil with me, just in case. But never did have to use it. Of course I was changing my oil every 3K miles. Never burned a drop of oil.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't mix dino and synth, but it didn't say the engine would suffer damage if you did. Don't forget when you drain the dino there will still be some left in the engine and that will mix with the synth when you refill.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
It's called a "synthetic blend". Most oil companies sell them. But, two things;
1. My Goldwing has never used a drop of oil. I carry an extra 1/2 quart on long trips, but I still don't know why.
2. If it ever did, and I couldn't get my beloved Mobil 1 MXT4, I would mix whatever I could find (non-energy-conserving, of course), rather than run it low.

·
Registered
626 Posts
YES! you can mix mineral oil with synthetic it will mix just fine and the are no side affects at all. Sure we all like to use the same oil all the time but that doesn't mean you have to. Think about this---when you first changed to synthetic you mixed it with about 3/4 of a quart the dosen't drain out. Yep that right folks! All of the oil never drains out when you change your oil.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Here is what Mobil1 says

Mobil1 says mix and match any way you want. (so do the other suppliers).
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Synthetic_Oils_FAQs.aspx
Can different synthetic motor oils be mixed together?

Mobil 1 is fully compatible with conventional motor oils, semi-synthetic motor oils and other synthetic motor oils, should it be necessary to mix them. However, it is important to note that the superior performance of Mobil 1 will be reduced by diluting it in any way. This is from the Mobil1 FAQ.
RogerB

·
Love The DCT
11,379 Posts

I use to carry an extra quart of oil with me, just in case. But never did have to use it. Of course I was changing my oil every 3K miles. Never burned a drop of oil.

Hope this helps
Sorry, but synthetic and dino oil do mix together. Don't believe it? Take a little bit of each and pour into common container and stir it up.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I would never mix syn with MINERAL oil. But, assuming you meant dino oil then that's another story. It will mix just fine.

I

·
0 Posts

Hope this helps
Don't know where you ever got that idea my man, but you are DEAD wrong.

But what the hey?....I have had brain farts also, admitted it, ate crow, and moved on. Ain't nobody perfect.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you have to mix it - do it before the bike is a full qt. low, add 1/2 qt., then if it gets low on oil again add another 1/2, or you may find the syn. before you need to add anymore...

·
Registered
357 Posts
most of the synthetic oils are grade three mineral oil. so no problem. bill
on what i said, i should say dyno oil (petroleum base). when people think of mineral oil they think of the water soluble oil like that used in machine shop coolant. i don't think it will mix with synthetic or any petroleum oil. bill

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
hell I never check the oil between changes, trip or no trip, since I'm buying wings, Harley's now there is a different story.
it's ok if low but there is a wal-mart everywhere on the planet isn't there?
thats wht it's good to use an readily available synthetic like rotella syn.
or mobil 1
actually most truck stops will also have these

BUT:it's a wing it ain't gonna get low, just irde it

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I don't even use any oil. Nope, none. I put a can of slick 50 in the bike a few months ago, and it made everything so slick I do not even have to put in any oil. :lol::lol::lol::eek:4::twisted:.

Oil is oil is oil is oil, all of it works, all of it mixes , all of it is slick. The one outstanding key is regular oil changes. Most of the time the bike will tell you when, with my Wing it is around 5000 miles. Really I cannot justify using high priced synthetics, because quite simply the oil becomes dirty, before even the Honda interval of 8000 miles, let alone some wild claim by some synthetic that it will go for 24,000 miles or 5 years whichever comes first.

Any modern day name brand oil, will protect the engine and it will outlast you.

Long before I knew anything about any thing I used to just use whatever oil was on sale wherever I found it, never knew a thing about friction modifiers and all that stuff, hey know what, bikes always ran fine.

Just a hint, one day, you should try Delo 400. Is less than 12 dollars a gallon at walmart, is made specifically for heavy duty diesel trucks, betcha when you try it and your bike shifts so much easier, .......well just a hint.

Kit

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Oil is oil is oil is oil, all of it works, all of it mixes , all of it is slick. The one outstanding key is regular oil changes. Most of the time the bike will tell you when, with my Wing it is around 5000 miles. Really I cannot justify using high priced synthetics, because quite simply the oil becomes dirty, before even the Honda interval of 8000 miles, let alone some wild claim by some synthetic that it will go for 24,000 miles or 5 years whichever comes first.

Kit

+1

·
Registered
16,484 Posts
hell I never check the oil between changes, trip or no trip, since I'm buying wings, Harley's now there is a different story.
it's ok if low but there is a wal-mart everywhere on the planet isn't there?
thats wht it's good to use an readily available synthetic like rotella syn.
or mobil 1
actually most truck stops will also have these

BUT:it's a wing it ain't gonna get low, just irde it

Harley has the easiest sysem for oil checks. If its dripping, it still has some oil in it.

Actually, that is no longer true. But back in the '70's it was painfully/pitifully true.

If you really ride the GL1800 hard, you will find it does use oil. The secondary air system vacuums the crankcase pretty hard when using WOT and hard engine braking alternately. Especially if you are inclined to over-fill the case.

prs

1 - 20 of 22 Posts