GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my third set of tires on my 2012 Wing. Trying a Dunlop E3 in the back and like the faster steering. But soon I'll need a front tire. The current front Bridgestone feels good with the E3. Just wonder if I should buy another Stone, or try the full E3 experience.

I usually ride within 10 mph of the speed limit, rarely drag pegs but don't slow down much for the corners, commute and do occasional 2-up weekend trips with a trailer. I got 8,000 miles from my first set if Stones and 10,000 miles from the second set.

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
Try it you might like it, I happen to prefer stone on front Metzler rear but it gets a lot more expensive that way :thumbup:

·
IronMan
17,864 Posts
Or go bt45 rte and change out after 25,000 miles ;)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Or go bt45 rte and change out after 25,000 miles ;)
I steer pretty quickly sometimes. I'm afraid the heavier front tire might feel slow or sluggish in the corners. What do you find?

Also, does the BT45 give a rougher ride or transfer bumps through the bars more than a regular front tire?

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I've been running E3's front and rear for some time and average 18,000 miles out of the pair, but if a soft ride is a concern, the E3 probably is not the best tire for you. It has a very stiff sidewall.

Also, I do not see a problem in mixing brands.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
i use metzeler on the rear and avon cobras on the front. No problems. no wobbles nice and smooth. i also use dyna beads in the tires 3oz rear 2oz front

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem to mix unless you really get a big difference in grip. The E3 rear grips pretty well and the bridgestone front grips very well so not a bad pairing.

I wouldn't do an E3 front with a Bridgestone rear though as you'd just have way more grip on the rear than the front (and especially if wet) and that could get you in trouble as you might not realize your grip wasn't that good until your front washed out since your rear would be fine. I can deal with the rear slipping a bit but I definitely don't want the front moving at all on this big of a bike. Just not a lot of chance to recover if the front starts moving.

Bottom line...to me, the Stones grip way better than the E3's but the E3's last longer so your trading grip for longevity. Personally, I like to corner hard so I'll take grip over mileage every time but if I was going to compromise, I'd do it on the rear and not the front.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Try it you might like it, I happen to prefer stone on front Metzler rear but it gets a lot more expensive that way :thumbup:
I bet that's a great combination. I may try it with a Metzler 888 rear on my next change depending on the feedback I hear on them. (although I've never really had any problems with my rear bridgestone stepping out so I'm not sure what I'd actually be solving)

·
Registered
689 Posts
I go even one step further on mixing brands, I also run Bias on the rear and radial on the front. I like the stones for the front but the rear I am running the Michelin Commander 2 right now. The next rear is going to be the Dunlop American Elete. On and the rear is also a 65 series tire for Harley's.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've been running E3's front and rear for some time and average 18,000 miles out of the pair, but if a soft ride is a concern, the E3 probably is not the best tire for you. It has a very stiff sidewall.

Also, I do not see a problem in mixing brands.

·
Vendor
18,635 Posts
If you are running curves like on the Dragon, the fastest set of tires on a GL1800 thus far is a Bridgestone 709 on the front and a Shinko on the rear.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I run B709 up front. Works well with different [redacted] tires on the rear.

;)

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
I bet that's a great combination. I may try it with a Metzler 888 rear on my next change depending on the feedback I hear on them. (although I've never really had any problems with my rear bridgestone stepping out so I'm not sure what I'd actually be solving)
For me 880 gets higher miles smoother ride and slightly better grip than stone, I am curious about the new 888 but I already got a bunch of new tires in garage so most likely won't get to try 888 for another year or 2. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem to mix unless you really get a big difference in grip. The E3 rear grips pretty well and the bridgestone front grips very well so not a bad pairing.

I wouldn't do an E3 front with a Bridgestone rear though as you'd just have way more grip on the rear than the front (and especially if wet) and that could get you in trouble as you might not realize your grip wasn't that good until your front washed out since your rear would be fine. I can deal with the rear slipping a bit but I definitely don't want the front moving at all on this big of a bike. Just not a lot of chance to recover if the front starts moving.
This is probably the best analysis of mixing....unless you are going darkside.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Have been through many sets of tires and cant really decide just what is best on the rear (have not gone darkside). On the front I cant imagine anything but the Bridgestone 709.

A friend of mine that I ride with the most just swears by the E3 front......I dont get it to me it is clearly not as good, but we all have our opinions

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
If you are running curves like on the Dragon, the fastest set of tires on a GL1800 thus far is a Bridgestone 709 on the front and a Shinko on the rear.
:shock:

That's funny right there....

:roll:

:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I go even one step further on mixing brands, I also run Bias on the rear and radial on the front. I like the stones for the front but the rear I am running the Michelin Commander 2 right now. The next rear is going to be the Dunlop American Elete. On and the rear is also a 65 series tire for Harley's.
I have an acquaintance that just bought new chrome rims for his 2011 RK....the rims are different sized than what was stock.....his stock HD tires have like 2k on em....I am considering buying the set for my next tire replacement.

·
Registered
689 Posts
BMX,

I had the Dunlop on my 01 when I traded it in, it had 7500 miles on it and the dealer never hit me up for a rear tire on the trade. The front 709 had the same milage on it and they did hit me for a new tire for the front. I liked everything about the Dunlop, just wanted to try the Commander. Both of the tires 65 series have a GVW of over 1000 lbs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts