GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a nail in my BS709 front tire. I`m going on a three day trip to NH this weekend. I`ve called all the dealers and the 709 won`t be available for two weeks. They have the Dunlop e3 and Avons. Of coarse they what to sell me a tire but what do you think of a brand mismatch. Thanks

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
If it is round and black, run with it. Would suggest a radial, and one that would fit the rim. Other than that, beer is beer. Some just tastes better to each of us than others.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have an E3 on the back and Avon on the front. Brand mixing is not a big deal. There are many threads asking the same thing. Do a search and you will find lots of info on brand mixing. I would not worry about it. Now mixing radial and bias is a very big deal.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I asked the very same question to my bike mechanic when I was trying to find a set of tires to put on. His background is that he used to be the main Goldwing mechanic at a large San Diego dealership, so I believe he knows what he's talking about.
He said that he's mixed different brands, radials and bias ply, in every conceivable combination with no ill effect.
I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
My metz rear wore out before the metz front. Metz front, Stone rear. Works fine for me.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Not an issue.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I picked up a nail in my D250, had to replace ut with a D250, because the dealer had one in stock, and I had an immeditae need. However, in the spring a new Bridgestone is going on the front.

Its no big deal, its black, goes around and atound

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Running a stone front and D250 rear only problem I don't like the D250 in the rain

·
Registered
707 Posts
In general as long as you don't try push to the limits of the bike and tires (depending on road conditions) you're just fine.

The problem with mixing tires is that when you come to the limits of the bike (and tires) a matched set will start loosing traction on the REAR as that allows for recovery of the bike. Since a mixed set it is not clear what might loose traction first it could as well be the FRONT wheel, at which point you're down instantly. This difference will be more important when road conditions are not optimal (i.e. wet roads).

Reiner

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tires

I couldn`t find a BS709 front within a hundred miles. Dealer put on a Dunlop E3. Still have the BS704 on the back. I`ll let you know how this works. Thank you all for your replay. Ride Safe

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tires

Just got back from NH with the new E3 on the front and BS704 with 8k on the back. On dry and wet roads I noticed no difference average riding 2 up. So in my opinion IF necessary you can mix brands with no ill effects. Thank You. Ride Safe.

S

·
0 Posts
I don't believe I have ever not mixed tire brands. In fact for a year I ran a radial on the front and bias ply on the rear. I now plan on a bias ply on the front and a "steel" belted radial on the rear.
The dealers will never tell you this - they love to sell tires in pairs for obvious reasons. In fact most dealers will tell you to change the front when you change the rear.
For those who unfortunatly can not do their own work - it's fish in a barrel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts