GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best BBQ in the US?

My wife and I are home all day, thanks to blizzard conditions here in lovely southeastern Wisconsin. We were talking about the theme for next summer's vacation trip, and have decide to call it the Barbecue Tour.

We want to ride from the Carolinas, through Tenessee, St. Louis, Kansas City (both sides), Louisiana and Texas, stopping at great barbecue joints all along the way.

So I'm asking my fellow riders, especially those who live in the Barbecue Belt, for advice regarding where to seek out the best 'que.

You must have eaten there at least twice, and no chain restaurants, please.

In order to start he discussion along, I want to know your opinion regarding a few crucial matters:

Which is best: Dry rub or wet sauce?
Which is best: Pork ribs or beef ribs?
Which is best: Shoulder or brisket?

And so this passes the "not off topic" test, remember that this is a plan for a long rice on a 2004 GL1800.

Many thanks.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Well you might want to try Jacks Stack In Martin City "South KC", than you might as well go to Famous Daves by the Speedway "KCK" well than you might as well hit the other 2 or 3 places KC has to offer I mean 6 or 7 they're all good. Now for the best I think you would have to hit them all because each one has the best of 1 or 2 Items and I think you would have a pretty good argument of what those are. Kansas City Has The Best BBQ
Hazle

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
During the summer the Food Channel ran a series called "Feasting On Asphalt." Alton Brown, a producer, writer, and performer on the Food Network, is a BMW motorcycling enthusiast that put the short series together. His requirements for the show were similar to yours: he was on a quest to find the favorite roadside eatiries (including bbq), and none of them could be part of a chain. In fact, the owner had to be working in the kitchen for the place to even be worthy of a stop.

It was one of the most entertaining shows I saw this past year. (well, Dexter on showtime might be as good but definitely not for feasting) You can go to this site, http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ab , and see the maps and restaurants from his journey. You will need to poke around a bit but you can easily duplicate any or all of his trip and adventures. My wife and I are thinking of doing the same journey in reverse this spring, minus the dirt road mishap that broke his collar bone.

·
Registered
806 Posts
OHHHH!!! This gonna get good. Gotta get me some ribs and pulled pork, sit back and see how this plays out, could take days?? :lol:

My vote goes for Bubba's in Corsicana Tex and the Oak Tree in Spirit Lake Ia. But thats only two on my list and the list is long.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The best BBQ in southwest Missouri is of course My House. Try this before you go anywhere. very easy

Crockpot

2 1/2 to 3 pounds country pork ribs (boneless)
2 onions
1/4 cup maple syurp
1/3 cup brown mustard
18 oz KC BBQ sauce
salt and pepper to taste
:capwin:
layer of sliced onions on bottom of crockpot, add ribs, another layer of onions, mix everything else in a bowl and pour on top, cook 9 hours and then gorge yourself before your ride.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
There's a little dumpy place on 143 in Robbinsville, NC that's really good too. I can't remember the name of it but it's about a block up from US-129 on the right when you're heading toward 28 (Deal's Gap area).
They use a rub and also allow the meat to marinate for quite a bit before its smoked. Imparts a peppery tang to it; very special.

Yellow Wolf or another local might know the name of it. Definately worth a stop, especially if you plan on slaying the Dragon.

·
Registered
601 Posts
There is a little hole in the wall place in Whitesboro Texas, owner is the cook.
Don's BBQ .. I like it, though I am not a rib fan, the Brisket and Links are awesome.

The Chain, Dickey's BBQ near where I work is good, especially with the Hot BBQ Sauce... I make the mistake of eating there occasionally then I have to fight sleep the rest of the day at work...
Another chain, Spring Creek BBQ is ok, their best thing is the Hot Fresh Rolls they serve.

There are a couple of places, I can't remember the names, that are in Garland TX.

Bone Daddies in Richardson is good, the eye candy is better than the BBQ though ....
It's owned by the same peeps that own Razzoo's Cajun Restaurant.
Razzoo's is my favorite place, I usually have a gathering there a couple times a year at least.

Check out this place for home cooked BBQ
http://www.hotsauce.com/

8)

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Yellow Streak, whacha doin' sendin' people to Dickies, for gosh sakes. At least here in Mesquite, they've got the worst there is. Now head south and try the Hard Eight in Stephenville, or even further south at Cooper's in Llano. Now you're talkin' Texas Bar-b-q. Spring Creek ain't bad, although they're more of a chain than I care for. If you get out towards Terrell, try Dean's place out on US 80. Same guy that catered the president's parties back when he first got elected.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Rib Country also on Hwy 69 south out of Hayesville, NC and Hwy 129 south out of Murphy, NC. Murphy was the last place I had really great ribs before I totaled my wing 2 hours later. I can't wait to get back.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Captian Tom's---Oliver Springs,TN HWY 62
The Perfect Pig---White Bluff,TN HWY 70 West of Nashville
Scott's---Lexington,TN :) :) :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't claim that it's the best, but I like the barbeque at Luling City Market (Luling, TX). Group from TexSTOC and TWT (Two-Wheel Texans) will be meeting there tomorrow (Saturday) at 11:00 AM and I plan to be there. Cooper's at Llano is OK but the barbeque is highly overrated - it does make for a good ride, though. I had the chance to eat at the Hard-8 (met Fred and other's there a few months ago) and the 'que was good, but I still like Luling City Market (been going there since the late '70's).
There's a place in Fredericksburg called Cranky Frank's that does an outstanding job cooking ribs and brisket.

Ed W.
Universal City, TX

·
Registered
692 Posts
This was just words, until Fred spoil it. Now I want some BBQ! Thanks Fred, there's no place around here. Just Amish cooking!

Dennis

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
We have a good place here in lenoir city on hwy11 its on the left going south. Dont remember the name but you cant mis the smokers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bridges Bar-BQ Shelby NC (love their hush puppies)
Cajun Cooker Jackson TN
Rendevous Ribs-Memphis
Route 64 Grill-Bolivar Tn if it is hot off the grill :eat1:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm not too particular....any McDonalds serving a McRib will do!

·
Registered
439 Posts
wimpyhonda that's a good place I don't know the name either . I like the place on 321 a little better but can't remember the name of it :? johns ,gleans , jeralds , something like that . :lol:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts