GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to run mobil 1 15w50 synthetic in motor sickles now?
I read something about the formula being changed?

Any input appreciated.... :oops:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts

ya better stock up.... might be going away soon :joke:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I've used it for the last 40k miles with out a problem. Stocking up now from Walmart with the 5 qt jugs.

·
Banned
625 Posts

Ask Exxon and Honda. They only recommend JASO MA motorcycle oils in motorcycles with wet clutches and shared transmissions.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Edit - Just got a PM right after this was posted with the latest list of JASO cetrified oils. Seems like Honda oil now is cetrified, but AMSOIL is not on the list. And I just learned something.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

IR

Read all about it. I have no qualms about using Mobil 1 Synthetic 15-50.

As far as warranty, just make sure you have oil in the crankcase. I find it interesting that the Honda oil is not JASO MA rated, but recommended. ???

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

Another institute that certifies oils is called the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization, JASO. One wonders why this Japanese organization has an English name. . . In any case, they have two classifications for motorcycles, "MA" and "MB." MA is the one you want. MB is like the API SL category, it's got all those nasty friction reducing chemicals that may scare your clutch into misbehaving. Again, there is an official JASO seal if the oil has been independently tested. The seal is a rectangle; in the upper quarter of the rectangle will be a serial number, and the lower three quarters will just have the letters MA. If the oil manufacturer did their own testing, instead you'll see just words like "Meets or exceeds JASO MA standards." Some manufacturers recommend JASO-MA certified oil. AMSOil and Golden Spectro are JASO-MA certified. Some people consider this important. Interestingly, although Honda recommends a JASO-MA oil, Honda oil is not JASO-MA certified. Mostly JASO-MA is pretty much equivalent to SH. In fact, the JASO spec is mostly a reaction to the decrease in zinc-phosphates in SJ and SL oils, and the added molybdenum disulfide in energy conserving oils. Personally, I don't care about JASO standards - they're really not on my radar

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think a lot of us use the 15-50 Mobile One that can be purchased at Wallmart for a bout 25 dollars/5qts. Its been mentioned that the clutch can slip, but I suspect those of us that simply ride along without winding out the gears will manage just fine with it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Edit - Just got a PM right after this was posted with the latest list of JASO cetrified oils. Seems like Honda oil now is cetrified, but AMSOIL is not on the list. And I just learned something.

IR

As far as warranty, just make sure you have oil in the crankcase. I find it interesting that the Honda oil is not JASO MA rated, but recommended. ???

Another institute that certifies oils is called the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization, JASO. One wonders why this Japanese organization has an English name. . . In any case, they have two classifications for motorcycles, "MA" and "MB." MA is the one you want. MB is like the API SL category, it's got all those nasty friction reducing chemicals that may scare your clutch into misbehaving. Again, there is an official JASO seal if the oil has been independently tested. The seal is a rectangle; in the upper quarter of the rectangle will be a serial number, and the lower three quarters will just have the letters MA. If the oil manufacturer did their own testing, instead you'll see just words like "Meets or exceeds JASO MA standards." Some manufacturers recommend JASO-MA certified oil. AMSOil and Golden Spectro are JASO-MA certified. Some people consider this important. Interestingly, although Honda recommends a JASO-MA oil, Honda oil is not JASO-MA certified. Mostly JASO-MA is pretty much equivalent to SH. In fact, the JASO spec is mostly a reaction to the decrease in zinc-phosphates in SJ and SL oils, and the added molybdenum disulfide in energy conserving oils. Personally, I don't care about JASO standards - they're really not on my radar
Very good acticles.:congrats:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Got the gold cap stuff in my Wing for 4k miles now...and all is well .

:thumbup:

·
Registered
477 Posts

IR

Amsoil is not on the list although the Amsoil website states it is a JASO MA/MA 2 oil. I have Amsoil and do not see a rectanguar seal with a serial number. Makes me wonder if Amsoil makes its JASO MA rating based on its own tests, but is not certified by JASO.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've been using Shell Rottela on my other bike for 24K miles and know others with over 100K with no problem.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts