GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use Mobil-1 75w90 for the final drive oil? Owners manual calls for 80w, local shop didn’t have it. Is there any downside to this?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Why not?

I use Amzoil Severe Gear 75W-90 every second engine oil change.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
@murf. i knew that, from reading err, browsing, err, glancing at the manual, lol. just wondering why hes changing it so often and if his needs more frequent changing. under what circumstances would it need more frequent changes?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I change my GEAR OIL every OIL CHANGE. It cost just pennies so why not have fresh fluids?
X2

Takes little time to do and cost is very minimal........plus I already have dirty hands, why not get it done? :laugh:

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
@murf. i knew that, from readingerr, browsing, err, glancing at the manual, lol. just wondering why hes changing it so often and if his needs more frequent changing. under what circumstances would it need more frequent changes?
I guess if you were riding in water up to the final drive all the time or on extremely dusty roads 100% of the time you probably would want to change it out at more frequent intervals.

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

75w90 has kinda become the new standard with synthetic gear oil. It used to be EP80 and EP 90 etc.

For heavier duty 90w140 has taken over too.

·
Registered
678 Posts
whats your oil look like at each change. Clean-as-a-Whistle. does it need changing that often? Nope!
Gives me a false sense of Security...at least.

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
807 Posts
Kinda like changing the oil every 8,000 miles. Can't do that. Have to change it every 5k at least. Tech at dealership said it didn't need it. Told him it may not but I do!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I use the Mobil1 gear lube. I have a small hand pump and it takes minutes to put four ounces in each oil change. It's cheap and easy, why not just do it.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Probably, just like the 5th gens, the cheapest way to maintain a 6th gen is to follow Honda's Maintenance Schedule, and use Honda's products too. As with the earlier Wings, what drives up repair costs is often self inflicted. The owner adds accessories that don't belong, and/or comes up with his own maintenance schedule.

If it were my Wing, I'd follow Honda's maintenance schedule and use the final drive fluid that they recommend.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have almost 350,000 miles and never changed the rear-end oil. In my Ford.
In the Wing, I change it every other oil change with Lucas 75-90 synthetic.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
The Mobil One 75-90 is way too good to use in that application. ;-)

prs

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I use the lowest priced final drive oil that meets Honda's requirements.
It's too easy to forget that Honda manufactures no lubricants, coolants, or electronic products of its own.
Why pay the ridiculous price of Honda labelled products when there is no legal or engineering reason to?
But, if it gives some owners that warm and fuzzy feeling by pouring a bottle of Honda labelled hypoid oil into their final drive, I promise not to mock you. >:)

·
Administrator
4,581 Posts
just slightly off topic, but I once changed the power steering fluid in my Honda Odyssey. Bought a name brand fluid off the self and replaced, even though the owners manual said expressly to use only Honda PS fluid. Within miles the power steering pump was howling. Probably had to replace and refill that system 3 times with Honda's brand to get the howling to quit. So sometimes it pays to follow the manual....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts