GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 5 quart bottle of Mobile 1 Red Cap 15w-50 at Wal-Mart on sale of $19.76. Is this the correct synthetic oil to use? Says API SERVICE SL / CF. Just wanna be sure.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
If you are wanting the Mobil 1 that everyone talks about...then yes, that would be it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sythetic, its the best

I've been using it for about 8 years and change my oil every 5K to 6K, mostly because I am obsessive.

Next warm day, I am changing to Rotella T Synthetic, because I am also cheap. I've heard nothing but good reports on both of these lubricants.

Oh, in addition to being cheap, I worry about the smallest details, like, the Rotella has ZERO friction modifiers, which no other auto oil can claim. That's a good thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mobil Synthetic

Mobil makes two synthetic motor oils for 4 stroke engines. The SuperSyn MX4T 10W-40 and the V-Twin 20W-50. These are both engineered specifically for motorcycles and carry the API SG, SH/CF rating. The quart cap is black not red. The product you mentioned is an automotive oil. The debate goes on regarding using automotive oil in a motorcycle but most motorcycle manufacturers recommend using only API SG, SH rated oils.

Very soon, I plan to become a distributor for the MX4T and the V-Twin 20-50 products and plan to sell both products on line for those seeking a convenient way to purchase the Mobil product. More details soon on this.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Re: Mobil Synthetic

mobil said:
... The product you mentioned is an automotive oil. The debate goes on regarding using automotive oil in a motorcycle ...
As far as I'm concerned, my Wing has a car engine. Having just two wheels doesn't automatically make it a motorcycle engine. However, if I had a motorcycle with a typical air-cooled engine I would definately go with a "motorcycle oil."

As for my Wing, 15W-50 Mobil 1 works fine for me. :D

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts

Bob (Bear said:
As far as I'm concerned, my Wing has a car engine. Having just two wheels doesn't automatically make it a motorcycle engine. However, if I had a motorcycle with a typical air-cooled engine I would definately go with a "motorcycle oil."

As for my Wing, 15W-50 Mobil 1 works fine for me. :D
Just remember though, that the oil in your car does not lubricate a manual gearbox. It does on the Wing. And the gearbox probably stresses the oil more than the engine does.

I use car oil in my 1800 too... but I change it more often than the 8,000 mile interval that Honda calls for.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

mobil said:
Very soon, I plan to become a distributor for the MX4T and the V-Twin 20-50 products and plan to sell both products on line for those seeking a convenient way to purchase the Mobil product. More details soon on this.
With m/c oil costing at least double the price per quart... I'll take my chances with the red cap!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey Deadeye,
I just bought some Mobile 1 Red Cap based on general concensus. I hope your statement doesn't mean that the Mobile 1 HAS friction modifiers in it!
Rotella next change???
:?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Car oil, motorcycle oil....straight talk, it's all motor oil! Testing by Motorcycle Consumer News has shown the old BS about the gears in the transmission has some truth, a motorcycle is harder on oil than a car, but the so called motorcycle oils don't really perform significantly better than the car oils.

Here's a good article written by a chemist retired from Mobil Oil Company.

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Rotella-T and Mobil 1 Red Cap are both well suited for use in my Ford F350 PSDiesel as well as the Wing. What is nice is that I only need to buy one oil for both and can usually get a bulk rate due to the high volume the truck needs. Buying it 10 to 20 gallons at a time helps some.

Rotella-T also comes in an excellent Dino oil that works very well in the Wing too. With the Dino version I changed it every 4K or so in the bike and 3K in the truck.

Nowdays I stick with Red Cap normally due to the higher cost of the Syn Rotella-T. Once in a great while it goes on sale here at close to the Red Cap price but very seldom.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
that the Mobile 1 HAS friction modifiers in it!
According to the most recent test by Motorcycle Consumer News, the current Mobil 1 does contain some friction modifiers, not a lot, but some.

Rotella next change???
http://www.rotella.com/answerresult.php?rowid=81

Nowdays I stick with Red Cap normally due to the higher cost of the Syn Rotella-T.
I bought a gallon 2 weeks ago from WalMart for $12.88 a gallon, it's been that price for the last year. If your local WalMart is charging more than that, they are in the minority, reports from other riders say that most WalMarts are selling it for $12.88 a gallon.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts

mrgl02 said:
Just remember though, that the oil in your car does not lubricate a manual gearbox. It does on the Wing. And the gearbox probably stresses the oil more than the engine does....
True. But I think Mobil 1 can take it. As most other Wing owners do, I too change the oil more frequently than the maintenance scheduled calls for. I shoot for about 5000 miles.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
after reading a ton of stories about oil, i am going with the mobil one when mine needs its first oil change.

the one gallon container makes it quite handy, wal mart makes it reasonable. in fact cheaper than regular honda oil at the dealers.

loren

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
loren - if you go with the Mobil One - remember that the large contain is a 5 quart size and not a gallon (4), so don't be trying to add the whole container (not that it would fit anyway, but it would make a big mess).

DaleC

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought a gallon 2 weeks ago from WalMart for $12.88 a gallon, it's been that price for the last year. If your local WalMart is charging more than that, they are in the minority, reports from other riders say that most WalMarts are selling it for $12.88 a gallon.
Hmmm, I have been watching the price on the fully synthetic Mobil 1 Red Cap 5 quart container at several Wal-Marts for over a month. The price has been in the $22.00 range and was recently rolled back to $19.76 for 5 quarts. I have never seen a gallon (4 quarts) jug before. Are you sure what you bought was Mobil 1 Red Cap, fully synthetic for $12.88? What are others paying for it? Maybe I paid too much, so what else is new..

Where is Shell Rotella available, and how much is it?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
my local wally world mart sells gallon jugs at $ 12.88 of the red mobile.

what should it say on the container to make sure its fully synthetic.

loren

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
So far I havn't found Rotella-T at the $12.88 price. In fact it is very seldom in stock at the local Wally Worlds. I think a trip to the local IH Big Rig Dealer is called for to see what their prices on oil are. I know that my filters are only $22 there vs Fords $54 for the same filter from the same manufacturer. I never did think to ask about their bulk oil price but it worth a shot.

That gives me an Idea :idea:
IF a good price can be found at the local Big Rig suppliers for Bulk Oil it could be worth it for local riders clubs to buy a barrel & pump to do group oil changes :!:
Just a thought 8)

Jerry

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The previous poster had said that Rotella T was higher than Mobil 1, my response meant to say that most WalMarts sell the Rotella T for $12.88 a gallon.

What is really weird is that some WalMarts sell it for a higher price, so if you don't find it for $12.88, look around at some other WalMarts, you should find it for the lower price.

To answer the question that comes to some peoples minds, yes, I am a cheapskate! :D

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Most truck stops should have Rotella T in stock in gallons, don't know what the price might be, I also have a Farm and Ranch store nearby, they sell Rotella T for about the same price as WalMart. The synthetic is in the blue gallon containers, the white containers are the petro version, it's selling for less than $7 a gallon.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts