GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Wal-Mart for a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 syn. 15W-50. They had two types of Mobil 1. Extended Performance for $28 and "regular" syn for $22 that I have used for years. They had this in several viscosities. On the extended perf. jug it said "guaranteed for 15,000 miles"...years ago it used to say 25,000 miles, but I guess they dropped that claim for whatever reason.

Question: Anyone have any comments on this "new to me" Mobil 1. Not the merits of Mobil 1 vs other syn oil, just wondering what the difference might be. I use systhetic in all my vehicles...

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
George,

I use the 15/50 in my Trike, (Gold Cap 15K) I haven't had any indication at all of problems and the last change was at just over 16K. I don't know if it is actually new, but I think that is a better Viscosity for our area than the 10/40.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Started with the red cap and went to the 15/50 gold cap extended when they switched. Change it about every 10k miles. WalMart here dropped this wt. for awhile but recently brought it back. Did an oil change on the road last summer. Couldn't find Mobile and went with Shell Rotella 10/40 syn. Used about a quart in 8k miles. Uses very little with the Mobile.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
George Lewis said:
Question: Anyone have any comments on this "new to me" Mobil 1. Not the merits of Mobil 1 vs other syn oil, just wondering what the difference might be. I use systhetic in all my vehicles...
George,
Maybe not the only difference, but the biggest difference is prob the $6. :wink:

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
AMSOIL HERE. If Mobil 1 is Motorcycle specific then use it. If not, buyer beware

:eat2: Pass the popcorn

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
George Lewis said:
Went to Wal-Mart for a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 syn. 15W-50. They had two types of Mobil 1. Extended Performance for $28 and "regular" syn for $22 that I have used for years. They had this in several viscosities. On the extended perf. jug it said "guaranteed for 15,000 miles"...years ago it used to say 25,000 miles, but I guess they dropped that claim for whatever reason.

Have you experienced any Clutch Slippage? I believe that ALL of the Mobil 1's have SuperSyn in them and CAN cause slippage. I tried the Truck and SUV oil because it didn't say 'ENERGY CONSERVING'.. but that did cause slippage on my Shadow Sabre.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I used Mobil 1 15/50 in both of our bikes for about 3 years and I was very happy. That is until I tried Amsoil. I will only use Amsoil from now on. It really is that much better.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
BlueWing said:
I used Mobil 1 15/50 in both of our bikes for about 3 years and I was very happy. That is until I tried Amsoil. I will only use Amsoil from now on. It really is that much better.
I use only AMSOIl, what makes it better?

·
Registered
515 Posts
BlueWing said:
Just curious BlueWing, could you describe what differences you noticed when you switched to Amsoil? It sound like it might have been something major.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The bikes both are smoother when idling, they shift with just a light flick of my foot. You know how a bike shifts when you run regular oil in it. It shifts good for about 1000 miles and then gets clunker as the miles add up on the oil change. Then when you switched to Mobil I the bike shifted like a hot knife in butter and it keep shifting that way until you changed the oil. Well, there is that much difference going from Mobil I to Amsoil as there is going from regular oil to Mobil I. It isn't my imagination either because Holly noticed the same thing. It acts, sounds and shifts like there is new oil being pumped into your engine all the time. If you tried it you would know what I am talking about. It is the best money I have ever spent on the bikes for the benefits we hear & feel.

G

·
STOP>>>>>>> STOP>>>>>>
All he asked was what was the difference between Mobil1 extended, and REGULAR mobil1.

NOthing about his BIKE, or what was better, or blah... blah...blah.....

SHEEESSH :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
And he got an answer - $6....... :lol: ...Do the math

·
Registered
667 Posts
Is the Harley Syn oil made by Amsoil? If so I can attest to the fact that there is a big difference in the operation of the motorcycle. I had a Road King and when i changed to the Syn and first started it I thought I was on the wrong bike. I had to get of and look. (The key was in it and at the dealers). I just put the same oil in my BMW R1200CLS. Again what a big difference in the way it sound and runs. I am planning on using it also in my 07 wing. Only 284 miles so far. Other question is when can I change to Syn oil?????

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I just did not know there were two grades of 15W-50 Mobil 1 or at least did not pay much attention when I bought it. Now that you mention red cap and gold cap, I went out in the barn and I have both color caps and they are both 15W-50....It is hell getting old.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts