·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Thanks Loren

·
Registered
73 Posts
very good tip

We use Mob 1 Full Syn in all six bikes and all four cars. NO FLAMES, NO OIL BRAND WAR intended. It is just that the cost of this product (and all motor oils I guess) has gone up a fair amount in the last two years. $5.00 per quart will get several cases into my garage.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
i have seen this type of sale before. Mobil one comes with different color caps. it is very limited up here. on the back it has a circle. it the circle only have info on the top. what should i be looking for. i am on my last 4 quarts of honda syntehtic and need to buy more. as i am on the wet coast it never really gets hot out here unless i go to the interior. should i not be using 20-40 weight or stick with 10-30

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Slowpoke,
I checked with our local Napa store recently, looking for Mobil 1 4T, told they do not carry it.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I was told to either use 10 W 30 or 10 W 40. I went to high mileage 10W40 and just made a 4,000 mile trip. Worked wonderful and smoothed out my shifts. I will probably go back to Mobile 1 10W30 for winter time only.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
walmart 5 quart jug 21-23 bucks??? cheaper...

:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
walmart 5 quart jug 21-23 bucks??? cheaper...

:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:
Unfortunately Wally doesnt have much of a variety in the way of mobil one. If your store is @ $21-23, you better grab a bunch, since they are much higher than that even at my store currently.

Another thing is convience of the single quarts, I hate to mess around and measure, it is far easier to drop in 4 qts and be done with it.

·
Banned
356 Posts
Unfortunately Wally doesnt have much of a variety in the way of mobil one. If your store is @ $21-23, you better grab a bunch, since they are much higher than that even at my store currently.

Another thing is convience of the single quarts, I hate to mess around and measure, it is far easier to drop in 4 qts and be done with it.
How can opening 4 container's be easier than 1. The container is clearly marked at every qt/liter. All the Wal-mart's around here have pretty much every weight one could want. It's 23.95 for a 5 qt container, everyday. To the poster who wanted some info about the circle. If it say's "energy conserving", in the bottom half of that circle. That's not what you want. Some Mobile 1 has it on there, some doesn't. The High mileage 10w40 is what I use.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was told to either use 10 W 30 or 10 W 40. I went to high mileage 10W40 and just made a 4,000 mile trip. Worked wonderful and smoothed out my shifts. I will probably go back to Mobile 1 10W30 for winter time only.

Engine oil

Executive summary: The commercial grade oils are clearly superior to the mass market oils. For the best protection in your bike or car, use Shell Rotella Synthetic, available at Wal-Mart in blue containers for $13 / gallon. For the best petroleum oil you can buy, get Shell Rotella T, Mobil Delvac 1300, or Chevron Delo 400, about $7 / gallon at any auto parts store.
On the back of most oil cans is a circular stamp with the certification. Avoid oils that say "energy conserving" in the bottom half of the donut. These oils contain friction modifier additives that could cause clutch slipping over time. All XXw-20 and XXw-30 oils are energy conserving, and should not be used in your motorcycle. 10w-40 oils should not be used in a motorcycle that runs the engine oil through the transmission. Don't buy any oil additives like STP or Slick-50. Here's several pages All About Oil justifying these conclusions. I

·
Registered
273 Posts
Engine oil

Executive summary: The commercial grade oils are clearly superior to the mass market oils. For the best protection in your bike or car, use Shell Rotella Synthetic, available at Wal-Mart in blue containers for $13 / gallon. For the best petroleum oil you can buy, get Shell Rotella T, Mobil Delvac 1300, or Chevron Delo 400, about $7 / gallon at any auto parts store.
On the back of most oil cans is a circular stamp with the certification. Avoid oils that say "energy conserving" in the bottom half of the donut. These oils contain friction modifier additives that could cause clutch slipping over time. All XXw-20 and XXw-30 oils are energy conserving, and should not be used in your motorcycle. 10w-40 oils should not be used in a motorcycle that runs the engine oil through the transmission. Don't buy any oil additives like STP or Slick-50. Here's several pages All About Oil justifying these conclusions. I

·
Banned
356 Posts
While I'm sure Mr. Lawrence is a very smart guy. I don't believe that 75 hour's of research make's him the final say on oil. You can spend 75 hour's reading about oil's on pretty much any Auto or Motorcycle related forum, and be just as clueless as when you started..LOL! There have been many, many bike's with integrated powertrains that have ran 10w40 for decade's without any problem's. And you can't by "Synthetic" Rotella for 13 buck's a gallon either. I looked at it 2 day's ago when I got my Mobile 1. It was $22 a gallon. Regular Dino Rotella T was $13 tho. Good article, just take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The stock Honda oil is 10w-40. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Napa has several varieties of Mobil One full Syn oil at $4.99 a quart this entire month of June. The 15-50 and 10-30 are on the list at this price.

http://www.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/93754_napaoilsale.pdf
I checked our local Napa and the deal is for 5 quart jugs with their oil filter and not individual quarts. Thats why when you go to Napaonline.com it tells you to contact your local Napa dealer. I tried to get O'reillys to price match but they said no thanks they cant do it. Appreciate the tip Though Loren . I needed some things at Napa anywhoo.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I checked our local Napa and the deal is for 5 quart jugs with their oil filter and not individual quarts. Thats why when you go to Napaonline.com it tells you to contact your local Napa dealer. I tried to get O'reillys to price match but they said no thanks they cant do it. Appreciate the tip Though Loren . I needed some things at Napa anywhoo.
Your Napa store is full of beans, look at the add, even the huge photo is a one quart bottle, and just to the right it says how much a quart is. Lots of people are getting the deal on weights that just dont come in a 5 qt jug.

If your Napa will not honor his national advertising, I guess you cant make him, but you could take your money elsewhere. It isnt worth a federal case over, but it is national advertising and they did agree to all the adds, not just the ones they make a good margain on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
lol

LOL! Well that would explain the price thing huh. Didn't even notice that. DUH!
As I was reading the post, I was thinking about those prices being at least 7 yrs old. Mercy.

I recently changed from Rotella SYN in the blue jug=$22, at 22,000 miles, to Amsoil, can't tell Any differance yet.

I think that I should have went to Mobil 1, I had great luck in the H-D's and Yukon with it. Very long lasting between changes. Much cheaper that Amsoil.
FB :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts