GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a MSI Wind and was wondering which is the best ISP to use. Do I need any other hardware or just install their software?
Also what about coverage, who provides the best when you're off the beaten path?
This is my first laptop so I have everything to learn. My brother in law uses when and says its free if you're near one of the "zones" like a coffee shop, hotel etc. That would be great but I know I'll still need a good ISP for touring.
My cell is currently with ATT/Cingular.

Steve

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I am using an AT&T usb (885 mercury) stick on mine and it works ok except for the software. The stick or radio has a slot for mini memory card and when the computer looks at the stick it sees the mass storage first even without the card in and that has given me some problems. You can call the manufacture and they have a download to help with this. I still am not totally happy with the fix.

The speeds are good if you are on a 3G tower.

It does not make any difference who you go with, they all have a 5 gig limit.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
"Hot Spots" or "WAP's" (Wireless Access Points) are all over and most are free, for customer use type of setup, and you can drive around and find Open wireless in some parts also. Depending on the access that is found you can almost always get email, and get on the Internet, but cant send email, using outlook express, or outlook with out knowing the ISP's mail setup, or having an account!!! Web base mail clients will work. If you are needing or wanting Internet access when ever/where ever, and at will. You will have to go the cell provider route. Most work well in most areas, and not so well in other areas. If you can make a clear cell call, you can get on the net 90% of the time. With one exception that I know about: If you come here to see me, don't count on your cell working all that well every where..:shock:

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I just purchased a MSI Wind and was wondering which is the best ISP to use. Do I need any other hardware or just install their software?
Also what about coverage, who provides the best when you're off the beaten path?
This is my first laptop so I have everything to learn. My brother in law uses when and says its free if you're near one of the "zones" like a coffee shop, hotel etc. That would be great but I know I'll still need a good ISP for touring.
My cell is currently with ATT/Cingular.

Steve

I use a Verizon wirless air card, anywhere I am,I'm on line instantly.
No need to hunt for coffee shops or hotels with WIFI.

I love it, but I also have a Verizon phone which makes it pretty
easy. I'm not sure how it works if your not already a Verizon
customer.

Enjoy, what ever you do"

·
Vendor
22,501 Posts
I used a Verizon Air card for a couple years, and while it worked real well, it was expensive ($65 a month).

WiFi is free and is available at almost all the hotels now, and is all I use anymore. When I had the Verizon card, I found that most of the places I stayed had free WiFi anyway, and I didn't even need it.

It's your choice, but I would suggest that in the beginning you try using the Free WiFi spots and see if that works for you before you take the plunge and get an Air Card.

If you use the free WiFi services, you might spend the night somewhere occasionally that wouldn't have access, but that would be the exception and not the rule. The only reason I would use an Air Card is if I traveled and had a business and absolutely had to be able to connect to the internet. And even then, the Air Card is no guarenttee, cause you have to be in range of a cell tower that supports 3G Air cards. So if you are in a remote location, an Air Card may not be of any help. I have stayed in several places where it didn't work at all.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm on Verizon 3G with my laptop and have had great results. These days it's $59/month for 5 gigs/month. It's really only another cell #. I don't think I ever hit 4 gigs and I'm on it a lot with lots of video and pics. Where I live out in the sticks only dial-up and satellite are available, so I justified Verizon by getting rid of my land line @ $30/month....besides I like the portability. In some very rural areas you may not be able to get a high speed connection (typically 1-2.5 mbps) but a 28kbps instead. Not bad in a pinch. I've got a Verizon cell phone, but that doesn't figure in to the deal.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I used a Verizon Air card for a couple years, and while it worked real well, it was expensive ($65 a month).

WiFi is free and is available at almost all the hotels now, and is all I use anymore. When I had the Verizon card, I found that most of the places I stayed had free WiFi anyway, and I didn't even need it.

It's your choice, but I would suggest that in the beginning you try using the Free WiFi spots and see if that works for you before you take the plunge and get an Air Card.

If you use the free WiFi services, you might spend the night somewhere occasionally that wouldn't have access, but that would be the exception and not the rule. The only reason I would use an Air Card is if I traveled and had a business and absolutely had to be able to connect to the internet. And even then, the Air Card is no guarenttee, cause you have to be in range of a cell tower that supports 3G Air cards. So if you are in a remote location, an Air Card may not be of any help. I have stayed in several places where it didn't work at all.
The last time I checked WIFI didn't work on a pull out on the side
of the Blue Ridge Parkway.........LOL" :joke: ;)

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Pull off at almost any less expensive motel and you can get wireless from the parking lot.. (Most hotel lobbies are free accesss even if they charge you in your room)

If you want better mobility (with speed loss), you can "tether" a Blackberry normally for an additional $20/mo above and beyond the Blackberry service charges.. Newer Blackberrys are 3g complient so the speed is as good as a dedicated device (providing the 3g service is avail where you are)

Verizon and AT&T offer 3g cards and other devices that utilize the cellular networks for approx $70/mo.. While covereage si getting better, the high speed advantage doesn't exist often outside of major areas.. It's good enough to stay in touch, but don't expect to get anything real done..

All the cellular devices will take any data connection they can find, so in a more remote area will stil give you a connection althoguh at a substantially slower speed.

Clear as mud?? :?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Free HOT Spots are a way for the supplier to get you to purchase their junk while you use their "Not Free Anymore" Hot Spots. I for one feel kinda wierd using their service and not purchasing their goods. my $.02...

I have a Verizon Card built in my Dell and like it a bunch. I travel a good bit of the time and have never been without a signal.

again my $.02

·
Registered
101 Posts
Internet Card

I also use Verizon, I do lots of traveling on business, ususally in the middle of nowhere. I have not found any place that I cannot get connected.
Verizon Rocks and I just heard they are starting to install 4g.
I have a need for speed on the highway and the super highway...:superman1:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

Yes, but remember there are still cold spots within that area....like in the country or mountains, etc. They are hard to define really as you have to sorta drive them a time or two and need service and notice it's not there to get accustomed to it. I suggest the Wi-Fi thing in the beginning like Fred said. If that's not enough then an air card is in order. Probably the best deals will be thru your cell provider. Providing you use one of the "big boys." If you don't you might consider one.....I suggest Verizon. There will be fewer of them in the near future I predict.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
even lots of eating places have wifi

many mc donalds as well

i toyed with the wireless card idea, but cant justify the monthly cost to just fool around

i will not stay at a hotel without free internet

·
Registered
2013 Red GW
5,930 Posts
I've thought about getting the Air Card. Right now my DSL from AT&T is down and i'm having to use dial up:wrong:and it sucks. I've had several issues with AT&T for the past couple of years over this mess. I have had Celluar service with them (bell south, cingular) since 1989 and never had much of a problem. But their DSL is nothing but problems.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
WiFi is available in my neighbors driveway!

Gotta love people who don't know how to lock-down their wireless network.

:wrong:
I never cease to be amazed at all the networks named, "linksys"; they could at least have been more creative than using the default name.

One Sunday afternoon, while driving down the main street in Hazleton, PA, I had the laptop running and its WiFi was switched on. Every few seconds we found another network that was open.

If you want to have some fun, check in any of the "college" towns near any of the off-campus housing buildings; there will be a bazillion open networks.

·
Registered
21,326 Posts
i have Alltel-Verizon, unlimmited data for $25 a month, cell phone just tethers to my computer

works great from my house but i don't have a laptop so have never tried using it anywhere else

in your case i would seriously consider Freds advice to start out, sure seems to be plenty of free wifi locations

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.