GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With everything said is mobile one 15-50 red cap safe to use in your wing?

·
Registered
264 Posts
There are numerous opinions on what oil to use. Mobil 1 Red Cap is being used successfully by a number of GL1800 riders. Do a search on "oil" on this site and you'll have a full day of reading! :)

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
billy said:
With everything said is mobile one 15-50 red cap safe to use in your wing?
Here's my experience with Mobil 1. I decided to start using it in my last Honda motorcycle after about 40,000 miles. The bike definitely started shifting smoother and easier, and it seemed to run smoother (but that could have been an illusion).

However, shortly thereafter, the engine began to "sweat" (not leak) oil out of the gaskets. Eventually, the oil covered most of the engine. Never did it before I swtiched to Mobil 1.

Now, was it something to do with the Mobil 1.... or was it just a coincidence? I won't say, because it will likely create a bunch of controversy.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
oirl

Use that rotor tiller oirl that everybody is using, it might be diesel oil cecil.
rotella t 5w40 aint it?
JD :biker:

·
Registered
5 Posts
mrgl02 What year was the Honda that you put Mobil One into that caused it to leak oil around gaskets. I've read that the gaskets in older motors would leak with synthetic oils. If I remember correctly, somewher around 1980 companies changed the gasket compounds to be compatible with synthetic oils. I ran Mobil One in my 1993 GL1500 for 130K miles and the motor was always dry.

·
Registered
237 Posts
mobile red cap

Been running mobil redcap in my last three Wings without any problems. Will continue to use it in my 2002 IB Wing. What type of oil to use is nothing more than personal preference. JMHO!!!!! I've been riding since 1959 and till the synthenics came out there was never a big deal made over oil. Again, JMHO!!

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
03orangepeel said:
mrgl02 What year was the Honda that you put Mobil One into that caused it to leak oil around gaskets. I've read that the gaskets in older motors would leak with synthetic oils. If I remember correctly, somewher around 1980 companies changed the gasket compounds to be compatible with synthetic oils. I ran Mobil One in my 1993 GL1500 for 130K miles and the motor was always dry.
It was a 1990 Honda. I'm not blaming the Mobil 1... but the timing of when the gaskets started "sweating" oil was quite a coincidence.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
If you do not have a tight engine to start with synthetic oil will make it worse. But remember, only if you already had a problem.

I used Mobile 1 in my 1500 for 86,000 and in my 1800 for 40,000 so far. No problem with either bike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've used the Mobil Red Cap oil since about 10,000 miles, now have 144,000+ with absolutely no problems using it in my '01 gl1800A.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This topic has come up in numerous car forums. The general consensus seems to be that the molecules in synthetic oils are considerably smaller than in dinosaur oil. Seals that are "accustomed" to dino oil will usually leak if you change from dino to synthetic. The leaks don't happen if you start with a synthetic oil from immediately after breakin.

I have a car that I changed to Mobil 1 after 60k miles (when I bought it) and it does leak a little now, where it did not before.

AI Nut

1 - 10 of 10 Posts