12,497 Posts
not sure about that one but
when I switched to synthetic in my turbo truck,
I gained about 2-3 mpg

Dennis

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Why look for an alternative when Rotella works just fine? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I wouldn't ... Nope !

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
It is carrying an SM cert that is a generation beyond the SJ or SH oils. It sounds like a good alteranative. The only way to know is put it in and try it. About the only thing that would be a possibility of harm is the clutch and IF it started slipping get it out of there and go back to what you have been using. Give us a review after you have about 4 or 5 K on it.
You'd think Tim would do better than ask Honda. He is supposed to be some kid of engineer but just seems like a salesman who won't go outside his little cubicle of comfort.
Anyway, I will be giving it a try in a couple months when this oil change is due. Why? I may not be able to find my Rotella some day or be in a bind. I would rather experiment at home than on the road.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
if it is not energy conserving on the label , should be ok
rotella t synthetic is now jaso m certified for motorcycles
reading the specs it does not say if energy conserving or not?
you have to look at bottle

·
Banned
625 Posts
It is carrying an SM cert that is a generation beyond the SJ or SH oils. It sounds like a good alteranative. The only way to know is put it in and try it. About the only thing that would be a possibility of harm is the clutch and IF it started slipping get it out of there and go back to what you have been using. Give us a review after you have about 4 or 5 K on it.
You'd think Tim would do better than ask Honda. He is supposed to be some kid of engineer but just seems like a salesman who won't go outside his little cubicle of comfort.
Anyway, I will be giving it a try in a couple months when this oil change is due. Why? I may not be able to find my Rotella some day or be in a bind. I would rather experiment at home than on the road.
The above "advice" is exactly why I suggested discussing with American Honda Corporate and Exxon, rather than on an internet forum.

API does NOT list this oil as API SM "cert". Just because it meets API SM does NOT mean it is better for a wet clutch and shared transmission than a SJ or SH oil. It usually means it is NOT as good. Many motorcycle and motorcycle oil manufacturers still designate API SH/SJ and NOT API SM, which is an automotive engine, NOT a wet clutch/shared transmission motorcycle engine, category. I'd be more concerned about transmission wear that you will likely NOT see until it is too late, than the wet clutch.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I have used Mobil Delvac One 5-40 in my wing. It came in a 60# pale from a local Catipiller heavy equipment dealer and it was superb. I am not sure if the formulation you are mentioning is same or similar, but multipurpose oils are great for motorcycles.

prs

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Tim, That is my opinion and my opinion only. Ask Honda, Harley, Kawasaki, etc. is not an answer. They will most likly, depending on who you get, say use their oil only. That would put some oil makers out of business now wouldnt it. Most diesel oil is made for wet clutch and brake use. Industial types anyway. The shear is better and the transmission should not be able to tear it down. You can use all the technical terms and confusing class, cert, and studies from anyone you want. Stats can be made to compliment the highest bidder. It has been that way since the begnning.
You are your own worst enemy at times, but it does make life interesting. By the way, please read here. http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.asp
Have a good one.

·
Banned
625 Posts
Tim, That is my opinion and my opinion only. Ask Honda, Harley, Kawasaki, etc. is not an answer. They will most likly, depending on who you get, say use their oil only. That would put some oil makers out of business now wouldnt it. Most diesel oil is made for wet clutch and brake use. Industial types anyway. The shear is better and the transmission should not be able to tear it down. You can use all the technical terms and confusing class, cert, and studies from anyone you want. Stats can be made to compliment the highest bidder. It has been that way since the begnning.
You are your own worst enemy at times, but it does make life interesting. By the way, please read here. http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.asp
Have a good one.
I read that 10 hours ago before my first post and nowhere does it recommend using it in motorcycles. That's why I suggested contacting them for additional information.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

I recommend Scabzoil for every internal combustion engine ever made. Not only does it contain a unique blend of Perfunkled Polyweiners and Multiply-Agitated Psychopentanes, it also meets the stringent cash flow requirements of the Scabzoil Petroleum Institute.

It's normally $87.95 a quart, but if you sign up for our "Saw You Coming" program (additional $100 fee required) we will allow you to buy Scabzoil for $86.95 per quart.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Greetings!

I recommend Scabzoil for every internal combustion engine ever made. Not only does it contain a unique blend of Perfunkled Polyweiners and Multiply-Agitated Psychopentanes, it also meets the stringent cash flow requirements of the Scabzoil Petroleum Institute.

It's normally $87.95 a quart, but if you sign up for our "Saw You Coming" program (additional $100 fee required) we will allow you to buy Scabzoil for $86.95 per quart.
:lol: Now that's good humor!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Greetings!

Where do you sign up? :bow:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I only ask because my local Wally World was out of Rotella & it got me to thinking whether or not this would be a good substitute.

Did not want this to be any kind of debate or bashing, just thoughts on this oil.

And oh yes, I did have a typo and added the "e." So in the immortal words of Homer J. Simpson... DOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Greetings!

Can you get me some independent lab reports on this oil ?? Sure sounds like some really good stuff. If I buy 55 gallons, can I become a distributor ??

Thank you

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Can you get me some independent lab reports on this oil ?? Sure sounds like some really good stuff. If I buy 55 gallons, can I become a distributor ??

Thank you

JMHO :cool:
NO! NO! You can not become a distributor. The last thing we need is another oil distributor on this board

1 - 20 of 59 Posts