GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find the stock latch mechanism on the GL1800 quite crummy... hard to close; often opening; and that darn "Open Truck!" Alarm seemingly on all the time, even with the truck/s closed.

So then, I deleted all the Sensors to the Truck, and also Added (2) new Latches to the Side Trucks... not only to KEEP them closed (100% of the time), but also in a manner that's Much more secure than the stock latch.

Simply buy a pair of these* latches from McMaster Carr, and Bend (Invert) the Bracket 180-deg; bolt in place; replace the stock pivot bolt with a cotter pin for ease of installation.

Works Great!... I even carried home a load of Bricks the other day... found that the Stock Latch mechanism had Opened at ride's end, leaving all the weight restrained (and side trunk still closed) due to the Aux Latch.

*1685A22 Weather-Resistant Draw Latch, Steel Strike Plate, 3-7/16" Long x 1-7/8" Wide

Attachments

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I have never had a problem with the oem saddlebag latches, don't remember the last time I had the lid open warning, since Fred posted, years ago, the proper way to close them. I do occasionally have to reach back and push the passenger backrest to fully latch the trunk.

Proper way to close saddlebags, gently push them closed and then push with your fingertips where the two latches are until you hear them click.

Appreciate the tips though.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
Step away from the tool box......please.:nojoke:

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
No offense, I'm sure those work just fine, and on a 47 Willies they'd be great, but on a Goldwing I'd have to find an option a bit more aesthetically pleasing. Maybe a chrome latch from a 1200?

·
Registered
885 Posts
No offence either but.....that’s nasty!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts