GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some reading on the 2012 and what really stood out for me is the new I-Pod connectivity capability which brings the Apple specific menu up on the main screen and you can select music and play lists without messing with the I-pod itself. It can all be done with the current controls on the bike!

This feature would make my riding much more pleasant as you never know when a certain stretch of new road brings to mind the perfect music set or song.

Does anyone know if the 2010 and earlier models can Mod this feature in?
If not I wonder what I would have to buy from Honda to make this feature work on my bike? Does it work through the radio or a whole new separate electrical board/chip with a entirely separate USB port??? Etc etc…?

Being able to have heads up access to any tune I want amongst a few thousand hours of music right at my fingertips while cruising down the road would be very, very, very cool.

Any help or knowledge of how to pull this Mod off or retrofit my 2010 airbag model would be much appreciated.

I know I could go the BikeMP3 route but I dont want the SD card hassel and I want to have all of my 120GB of tunes right there all the time. BikeMP3 is like 8GB I think and no random shuffle, play all of one artist..etc, etc...

It is my understanding the 2012 does it all but I am not certain.

If the 2012 does not let one use all the I-Pod functions the BikeMP3 or JMCorp products or soundgate/kicker ipod interface
look like the way to go. The soundgate/kicker interface looks like the most promising. Anyone have that installed?

Hoping the electronic Mod Gods stop by and set me free….

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have the Soundgate/Kicker installed on my 2010. What this does is allows you to use your iPod/iPhone through your CD controls on the bike. You can not see what play list you are using nor does it show song names. It plays songs form your playlists and allows you to scroll from one playlist to the next by hitting the program keys on the radio (1 2 3 4 5 6) I don't remember which does what but I can tell you that 3 is play list up and 4 is playlist down. Other functions include random and track repeat. You can scroll through your songs through the use of your tune button on the handlebar.
The Soundgate also charges your iPod/iPhone when the ignition is in the on and accessory position and starts and stops the music automatically when turned on and off either through pressing the CD button or turning the bike on. You do not need to start up the iPod app when using the iPhone as the unit does it automatically.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
The least expensive way and probably the most hassle free way to do what you're describing would be to trade your 2010 in on a 2012.

There are aftermarket alternatives that are much less expensive and do most all of what you're wanting to do, but the way YOU want it, you should just get a 2012.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Does "full iPod integration" on the 12's mean just that? In other words do you actually get specific info on the display like artist, track, album and all that or does it just show up as a track playing?

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Yes its possible we could retro a 2012 audio system into an earlier bike but the costs would be stupid the parts alone as Bart has pointed out would be into the range of trading in your existing and just getting the 2012 bike.

For example the audio unit alone is listed at $2200.00 and the remote panel is $400 pretty much bet they changed the amplifier and that $820 thats without the new $2000 wiring looms etc etc

Now as I understand and correct me if I am wrong you have to have the Navigation bike for the ipod information to show as the standard bike has the old style display that I think only does discs and tracks, if that is the case you may also be into swapping out the display

So again yes but why spend I guess $6K to $8K just to see what song is playing however if you do have that kind of money to spend please feel free to contact me day or night

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does "full iPod integration" on the 12's mean just that? In other words do you actually get specific info on the display like artist, track, album and all that or does it just show up as a track playing?
I think so, text in in included. But my Honda dealer does not sell Wings so I have yet to confirm this.

Any 12 owners out there, or someone who has brought their Ipod to the dealer for a demo?

Thanks GoldwingRon for the soundgate info.

No way I am getting a 12, but I am going to find a way to crack full Ipod integration
without going broke on my 10.

I did some deep digging last night and I think this would already be a done deal if Apple was not so crazy sensitive about their security chip and wanting their hand in everyone else's cookie jar that improves their products usability.

Anyway more digging needed obviously. But I think this can be done.

If not I am gonna have to sell the family jewels and give pedro66 a call and I think I might still come up short. I wonder if I can talk him into a negative interest rate 30 year payment plan?

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
The Soundgate unit has the Apple chip its the GL1800 radio that does not have the functionality to display the text as it has a set vocabulary of what it can display as opposed to a modern radio with just a serial data input for text, the only reason the XM bike displays text is that the GPS controls and integrates the XM display and not the radio, now if you pull the text out of the Soundgate data and then overlay it onto the GPS system that will work but its not as straight forward we have played with it we have even had videos playing on a NAV screen but not sure its worth the costs

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Soundgate unit has the Apple chip its the GL1800 radio that does not have the functionality to display the text as it has a set vocabulary of what it can display as opposed to a modern radio with just a serial data input for text, the only reason the XM bike displays text is that the GPS controls and integrates the XM display and not the radio, now if you pull the text out of the Soundgate data and then overlay it onto the GPS system that will work but its not as straight forward we have played with it we have even had videos playing on a NAV screen but not sure its worth the costs
Sounds like an interesting puzzle indeed. Thanks for this info. More pieces of the puzzle fall in place. I wonder about an auxiliary screen? Could even play video.
Lol fueling up some guy asks about some mod and you Q up the video.

So about that 30 year reverse interest payment plan?

Thanks Pedro66 got any space for a drop in now and then hobby shop sweeping apprentice?

Life is good. I will keep digging for a way to crack this safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts