GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get comfortable with my highway pegs. After much research I think the Model DD Mick-O-Pegs might work for me ... but to be sure it would be nice to sit on a bike that has a set installed.

I think putting the bike on the center stand would be enough for me to make a decision.

Can anyone help?

I live in North Central Arkansas and would be willing to ride 200-300 miles to meet someone.

Would even spring for lunch ... :thumbup:

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bob,

I have the GF model mounted on the vertical engine bar. The pegs are pointing away from the engine not inward as the DD. They are great for a 6' 2" rider.

I am north of Fort Smith, AR, send me a PM if you want to give them a try.

Rick

·
Registered
161 Posts
MickOPegs

Not sure if you already have a set of MicOPegs or not..

I recently got a pair of the "K" legs. I found both the D and the E.5 legs left me feeling a bit trapped between the peg and my controls.

But the point of my post is this: their customer service is awesome: they sent me every combination of block, leg, and peg so I could try them all out before making a final decision.

It was better than riding 300 miles to meet someone!!

Michael

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
+1 on the customer service. I too got the model with the pegs facing outward. I had to swap out the "blocks" on the first set to get a set that didn't go down as far. Now they are the right (drop down) length. Mick-O-Pegs (ddking) made the swap out easy.

Not sure if you already have a set of MicOPegs or not..

I recently got a pair of the "K" legs. I found both the D and the E.5 legs left me feeling a bit trapped between the peg and my controls.

But the point of my post is this: their customer service is awesome: they sent me every combination of block, leg, and peg so I could try them all out before making a final decision.

It was better than riding 300 miles to meet someone!!

Michael

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a set of Mick-O-Pegs a couple of years ago on the 1500. They worked very well, but I let them go when I sold the bike.

I spent a lot of time with a tape yesterday looking at where I wanted my feet and made the decision that the Model DD is probably not going to work. I like the way the peg is set inbound and out of the way ... but with my big feet, it will be hard to get them back on the regular pegs.

So I guess now the decision is between the Model GF/GQ and the E.5.

I'm not sure which way to go ... the thing that is appealing to me, about the GF/GQ is the way they mount up out of the way ...

Veloz ... I've had the same concerns ... my size twelve boot probably will not make it easy to get my foot back on the controls.

Oh Well ... I will keep working on it ... I may have to order a bunch of stuff and start trying all the positions... :shrug:

Thanks Ironhead for the offer... I may take you up on it. I'm leaning in that directions right now ... will let you know.

BTW: A 400-500 mile day of riding in the Ozarks is just a typical day ... so making a trip to try out some Mick-O-Pegs is just another excuse to ride ... like I need one. :doorag:

Thanks
Bob

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam.

DDKing set me up with the gf-hs. I didn't want any pegs or parts hitting the ground in the corners.

They are mounted as high as possible on the vertical bar and are about the same height as stock pegs when down. The footsies are about 2/3 of the way back on the engine.

The pegs save me from buying a seat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had ordered a set of "DD" and did not like them at all. I talked to Jim and he asked me a bunch of question about my height, inseam, riding style, et... and sugested a couple of other different styes that I might like better. I chose the "E.5" style and I am very pleased with them.
When Jim sent me the new "E.5" legs and pegs he was very clear that his main concern was to get me fitted with a set that I was happy with. I was lucky that the "E.5" was what I wanted but I knew that if they were not that Jim would have kept sending me differnt sets unit I was satisified. My only cost was shipping and handling for the exchange (a whole $5.00).
This is my second order with Jim at Mick-O-Pegs and I've never had a issue with him or his service. My first set was on a BMW K1200LT that he installed for me at a rally.
From my experience, Jim and Mick-O-Pegs are about quality and customer satisfaction.

Ken

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob,

I have the GF model mounted on the vertical engine bar. The pegs are pointing away from the engine not inward as the DD. They are great for a 6' 2" rider.

I am north of Fort Smith, AR, send me a PM if you want to give them a try.

Rick

Rick

PM sent ..

Bob

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would recommend a vertical bar mount Mic-O-Peg; I scrapped the mounting block on my model D too much to be comfortable. I now have the CQ I believe that is correct and they are great; slightly more stretch and not scraping mounts.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would recommend a vertical bar mount Mic-O-Peg; I scrapped the mounting block on my model D too much to be comfortable. I now have the CQ I believe that is correct and they are great; slightly more stretch and not scraping mounts.
Thanks Chazzman for the suggestion. This was one of my concerns with the Model DD.

There are two models that fit on the vertical bar .. now I have to decide which one??

Bob

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
With a 32" inseam, GF would be almost at the end of a rider's reach taking most of the bend out of the knees, using a stock seat. GQ would leave the knees with more bend in them. Both are adjustable up and down as well as in or out to get them in the right position. A lot depends on just how much stretch you want.

Also, the bigger one's butt is, the further forward he is forced on the seat, causing the need for a wider stretch around the fairing. [Don't ask how I know.] In that case, models EQ or EF [or E.5Q/E.5F] might work better. Check out some pictures here.

EQ and F and E.5Q and F put your foot in the same position. We sell the model we have in stock.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With a 32" inseam, GF would be almost at the end of a rider's reach taking most of the bend out of the knees, using a stock seat. GQ would leave the knees with more bend in them. Both are adjustable up and down as well as in or out to get them in the right position. A lot depends on just how much stretch you want.

Also, the bigger one's butt is, the further forward he is forced on the seat, causing the need for a wider stretch around the fairing. [Don't ask how I know.] In that case, models EQ or EF [or E.5Q/E.5F] might work better. Check out some pictures here.

EQ and F and E.5Q and F put your foot in the same position. We sell the model we have in stock.
Okay ?? Just when I had it narrowed down ... you give me more choices. :doorag: But maybe I'm confused at a higher level ... :shrug:

But this option might fit me better. Looks like the arms are longer so that I'm not as spread out as I would be with the GF or GQ.

Now to decide which one ... F... or .... Q .... ?

Would the EF require less of a stretch to reach than the GF?

When I use the tape to measure my foot position and compare that to the measurements on the RIW web site, my leg length seems to be just at the limit of the GF.

I may need to talk this out on the phone to make a decision? If you don't mind sending me a number by PM I will give you a call.

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
552 Posts
Bob if it helps, I am a 30 in inseam and can get a full stretch if I am back in the seat with the GQ. If you e-mail Jim Mick or call him he will help you make the decision. They give excellent service!

I do have a diamond seat which will make a small difference I would think.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Would the EF require less of a stretch to reach than the GF?

It is actually pretty close to the same. The stretch is down and back from the GF position. One thing to remember is that you lose the use of the EF pegs sooner than the GF because they are lower. You can use GF more in the curves.

When I use the tape to measure my foot position and compare that to the measurements on the RIW web site, my leg length seems to be just at the limit of the GF.

You are probably correct. Jim Mick is a skinny [read no butt to push him forward in the seat] 32" inseam and GF is just beyond his limit. The rider below has a 34" inseam and rides a stock seat with a pad that raises him about an inch and is using the EF or E.5F peg.

Link

I may need to talk this out on the phone to make a decision? If you don't mind sending me a number by PM I will give you a call.

My number is 770 623 4447 and I can be reached tomorrow, I'll be out tonight. Or you can call Jim and get the info from him as well.

Thanks

Bob
Hopefully this will help.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mick-O-Pegs Installed

I wanted to do a follow-up on this thread after my installation of the Mick-O-Pegs.

First thing to say is Jim and Dan were very helpful ... I tend to ask a lot of questions and over analyze things. They were very patient and answered all my questions.

I wanted to be able to straighten out my legs without having to raise my feet and spread my legs. Also, clearance in the twisties was an issue (did not want to worry about the block making contact with the pavement).

The EF model solved both issues for me. They are extremely comfortable.

Thanks again to Jim and Dan for your help!

Here is a picture of the final installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Glad they're working for you. I can't remember. Did you mount the Kury pegs on a regular spring or on a heavy spring?

If you get a chance, can you get a picture of your foot on the peg so we can see what kind of stretch it gives?

Thanks.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad they're working for you. I can't remember. Did you mount the Kury pegs on a regular spring or on a heavy spring?

If you get a chance, can you get a picture of your foot on the peg so we can see what kind of stretch it gives?
Dan

I decided to go with the heavy spring ...

Below is a side view showing the position of my leg.

I like the way my boot sticks to the Kury peg in this position. It is easy to move my foot in either direction and maintain a good contact point.

Attachments

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I notice that the peg does not come back up all the way.
Well ... I'm not sure what you mean ... both legs go up as far as the block will allow? The spring pulls the leg up until it hits the top of the block opening.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts