GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a few things I've done that just did not suite me right off the "get-go", like drilling the rear baffles just to see what was up with that. It was stupid, that was what was up with it. I plugged the holes PDQ. Some other products that did not deliver too, all long since gone.

But one "neat" product I installed has been with me for almost 8 years. The original Reg Risers. These were well made and did what they were advertised to do. I thought they made the bike more comfy by bringing the bars up a bit, back a bit, and I think also in a bit. I got along OK with them, but if you asked me if the GL had a glaring fault for a touring bike, I would tell you its way too cramped.

DUH? So I finally took the risers off the other day; remember the old Alka-Seltzer commercials " --- oh what a relief it is!" Its lots better with the bars back down and foreward and out. The twisties rode smoother too. Nothing wrong with the product, just not something suited to me, even though I thought it was. Sometimes you don't know what you are missing until you get rid of it.

prs

·
Registered
166 Posts
A couple more

I did a couple that didn't work out as planned.

#1. Front fender extender. There was one on the bike when I bought it and it was cracked so I bought a new exact replacement. It caused the front fender B part to crack. Had to throw the whole thing away. Very expensive!

#2. Blind spot mirrors. Just don't do anything that the main mirrors don't do. Those cheap round mirrors for cars will do more. $40 dollars wasted.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There have been a few things I've done that just did not suite me right off the "get-go", like drilling the rear baffles just to see what was up with that. It was stupid, that was what was up with it. I plugged the holes PDQ. Some other products that did not deliver too, all long since gone.

Funny. Been there, done that one too! Stupid move on my part too!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Sometimes you don't know what you are missing until you get rid of it.
Totally agree. This is my second wing. I bought more than a handful of items on my last wing to make me more comfortable. When I bought this wing I decided not to immediately make a clone of my old bike. So glad, in the end I find the bike is much more comfortable totally stock. I've tried two things so far on this new one for better comfort / performance and both of them I have since removed. For me the bike is damn near perfect right out of the box.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
..So I finally took the risers off the other day ..
Its lots better with the bars back down and foreward and out.
The twisties rode smoother too.
:thumbup:
The reg risers are GREAT if you do mostly "sight seeing" touring
(interstate riding).
.. they provide a nice relaxed position for your hands, arms and shoulders.

But...
If you're going for a "twisty" sporty style of riding, take them off..
.. you don't need to be relaxed.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
I too punched holes in the back of the mufflers...and promptly welded them up less than a week later. They sounded like sick azz in a dead carcass. I started with 1/8" holes, increased and tested by 1/8" until I got to 1/2" to give it a fair chance of finding the right size/sound. Not so much...glad I'm not the only one who got sucked into doing that :no:

Been pretty happy with all the other mods...the latest was installing a HomeLink garage door opener into the lid of the right pocket. It's nice to not have to dismount to go open the garage door...even nicer that the SO doesn't have to do it either. :thumbup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
failed mods

I today just removed a mod I was happy with until I noticed that the DDM HID lights I installed about 10 months ago (12k miles ago) had started to discolor or burn a spot the size of a dime on the reflectors. The extra light at night was great while it lasted.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Totally agree. This is my second wing. I bought more than a handful of items on my last wing to make me more comfortable. When I bought this wing I decided not to immediately make a clone of my old bike. So glad, in the end I find the bike is much more comfortable totally stock. I've tried two things so far on this new one for better comfort / performance and both of them I have since removed. For me the bike is damn near perfect right out of the box.
GREAT! Maybe Honda has been listening.

prs

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
recently removed the front fender extension i installed when the bike was new, would have removed it years ago when the reports of the rear half of the front fender breaking started coming in but i was afraid it would be difficult to remove without causing damage, well it came off easy enough and i just reinstalled the 2 chrome bolts to cover the holes, repaired the broken fender with 3m epoxy and so far it seems to be working fine

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Removed the Kury floorboards and heel/toe shifter.

Put 10,000+ miles on them.

Never got comfortable with them.

They are in the attic where they belong.

The stock floorboards and shifter on the VTX are very comfortable

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Removed Kurry pegs from engine guard. Everytime I put my feet there I got bombarded with wind in my chest and face. It was the ultimate useless chromed appendage, even more useless than the backup camera I was contemplating.

However, my airspeed indicator is still considered by Wikipedia and judged by the Guinnes Book of Records folks as the ultimate farkle.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
if it dont go, chrome it..

I have bought a few things that havent quite suited me. I have bought a few things that now seem like a bit of a waste of money. I like my airwings and my cup holder. Cup holder usually has "stuff" in it, a rag, change, sunglasses etc. so now I am contemplating another cup holder on the throttle side so I can have my cupholder back~! Wife loves the armrests and I want to buy her the passenger highway pegs and now that I have seen it, I want an airspeed indicator:bow: Thanks JJ..

·
Registered
812 Posts
Volvo Bumper Mod

Yesterday on my ride home the guy in the Volvo behind me decided that it would be useful to add a drainage mechanism to my left saddlebag.

While installation was very quick, I'm not sure that I'm a big fan of this mod.

Removal is probably going to take longer than installation, and I doubt that I'll be using a volvo for removal of the mod the same way it was used during install. I may also be traveling at less than 40MPH for removal of the mod.

jason

·
Registered
689 Posts
Wife loves the armrests and I want to buy her the passenger highway pegs and now that I have seen it, I want an airspeed indicator:bow: Thanks JJ..[/QUOTE]

Put the cruise pegs on for my wife and she loves them. No more knees locking up on her when we do along ride.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Yesterday on my ride home the guy in the Volvo behind me decided that it would be useful to add a drainage mechanism to my left saddlebag.

Removal is probably going to take longer than installation, and I doubt that I'll be using a volvo for removal of the mod the same way it was used during install. I may also be traveling at less than 40MPH for removal of the mod.
jason

That'll buff right out. :wrong:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Things I tried and didn't like so I removed them.

Kury trunk rack.
ISO grips.
Rear tire.
Candy Red paint.
Progressive rear shock.
Ram mount for garmin.
Ram mount for Ipod.
Passenger arm rests.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

jason

Jason.Looks like you need one of these.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Things I tried and didn't like so I removed them.

Kury trunk rack.
ISO grips.
Rear tire.
Candy Red paint.
Progressive rear shock.
Ram mount for garmin.
Ram mount for Ipod.
Passenger arm rests.

What did you do about the holes in the trunk lid from the rack. I don't really like the rack on mine either and I have never used it so I was thinking about removing it, like I did some over the other crome on it when I bought it. Last thing I took off was the rotor covers and front fender bumper. Not that the front wheel comes off the bike that often but two less things to deal with.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts