GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone modified the tongue on their trailer for ease of storage? I have an Escapde, 25 cu. ft. I have limited space at my home for storage and the community does not allow trailers outside if they know about it. I was toying with the idea of modifying the tongue at some point with an internal sleeve under the front bra on the trailer so it could be disconnected for storage. This would reduce the length of space and make it possible to basically "hide" the main body in some sort of small shelter. I know some boat trailers have a hinged tongue so the boat and trailer can be placed in smaller garages.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Some trailers(Bushtec,The Breeze) come with a rack that allows a trailer to be stood on its rear end to save space. I have seen plans for a pulley system to raise it in the air above a car. Maybe one could be made for yours.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If you have a garage, I would recommend making some type of hoisting system to store it against the roof.

Some ideas are on the jeep forums, how they store the hard top.

An electric hoist would make it easier if you use and store the trailer often, but a manual hoist would cost less.

you can cobble up a lifting jig to lift the trailer at specific points, to keep from damaging the finish.

Overbuilding is not a bad idea........... If the trailer weights 200 lbs, design the hoist for 800 lbs for a 400% safety factor.

One idea is HERE but would require some modificaon to go to the floor.... or to have a custom fit platform, or get rid of the platfom and use a custom jig.

If you modify the tongue, whatever system you use MUST be secure and allow for zero movement of the tongue once reassembled.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Jeff, there are two bolts on the front under the body. If you remove those, the tongue will slip right off. Inside the tube there is a quick disconnect for the wiring harness, too.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Jeff, there are two bolts on the front under the body. If you remove those, the tongue will slip right off. Inside the tube there is a quick disconnect for the wiring harness, too.
Interesting to know, have to look at mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts