GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a Tulsa Windshield on my 2001 GL1800 about 2 months ago and now since I'm getting ready for cold weather riding, I was wondering if anybody has had any luck adding some wings to the bottom of the windshield by the mirrors and also at the sides. I would really like to get more wind deflection at the sides to protect me from the cold winter winds. I already have the Baker wings underneath the mirrors and I will be wearing my leather chaps along with my Honda Rider II jacket to keep the wind off me. My '86 1200 is a lot better with wind protection because of the wrap around Markland windshield I have on it. I was quite comfortable last year on my 1200 even on 26 degree days in December. I emailed the guy at Tulsa but he has no plans for a wrap around windshield. I guess I get to make another custom item for my 1800 because no one is interested in product development. THANKS, Don W

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,094 Posts
Re: Mods/Additions to my Tulsa Windshield?/Get Ready for Win

dwitgoldwing said:
I put a Tulsa Windshield on my 2001 GL1800 about 2 months ago and now since I'm getting ready for cold weather riding, I was wondering if anybody has had any luck adding some wings to the bottom of the windshield by the mirrors and also at the sides. I would really like to get more wind deflection at the sides to protect me from the cold winter winds. I already have the Baker wings underneath the mirrors and I will be wearing my leather chaps along with my Honda Rider II jacket to keep the wind off me. My '86 1200 is a lot better with wind protection because of the wrap around Markland windshield I have on it. I was quite comfortable last year on my 1200 even on 26 degree days in December. I emailed the guy at Tulsa but he has no plans for a wrap around windshield. I guess I get to make another custom item for my 1800 because no one is interested in product development. THANKS, Don W
I have the Tulsa windshield and the Tulsa mirror wings and in the winter I add the Tulsa hot foot shields. I use a electric vest and have heated grips and riding in temps down to 25 degrees I have always been comfortable.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
It is impossible to block the cold wind on a motorcycle. No matter what windshield you have or deflectors, it will get to you.. I went riding one New Year's day at 32 degrees.. I had heavy socks, boots, a full winter riding suit, insulated gloved, a scarf, a neoprene face mask, 3/4 helmet.. I was warm as toast, except for this one spot at the base of my skull where I seemed to have left somethig uncovered, and within 30 minutes it felt like someone was sticking a knife in my head..

If you're gonna ride in that weather THAT cold, better clothing is the way to go. with Thinsulate liners (detachable or not). That Thinsulate stuff is amazing. It doesn't necessarily have to be electrically heated. Watch your connections between pieces; make sure the gloves have gauntlets that go up over the sleeve ends, that your pants go well down over the boots (with insulated socks, if the boots aren't insulated to..).. You can get an insulated balaclava that will cover the neck and face (if your nose can handle being covered..)..

Personally, I decided to move to Texas.. And sold the riding suit. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts