GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I love my integrated braked GL 1800 (non abs as how I got it used with 729 miles) and I know the value of this braking system. I have been riding since 66 and have over 300,000 miles the best 90,000 on my 02. My problem is unique and I really do not expect to get an answer nor am I looking for sympathy. My right foot is about to be placed on temporary (1 year) imobilized plastic cast. This means I will not be able to use my foot brake on the GL1800. I know I can purchase a BMW with limited integrated braking (rear only controls most of rear while front controls front and with full pressure some of the back also)but I love the Wing. I have been using mostly my front brake on the Wing for several months in anticipation and other than extreme panic stops it is ok. Since I can still walk in the cast keeping the bike up is ok but using the pedal brake is almost impossible to achieve and something my Doctor has all but disallowed. Now the real question....Has anyone heard of or seen a way to mod the Wing to place more of the front caliper action on the lever action and not the pedal that actually has much of the front caliper action. Realizing the flames and general BS on my destroying a Wind etc. those who may know a solution or possible solution send it to my private email box to avoid being also criticized for offering help. Please I do not need instruction on braking safety or taking MSF again (have experienced all that and I'm not ignoring just have a unique problem to solve.)

Thanks and I apologize for any flames or Wing miss understandings.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I'm thinking that Wheels may have found a solution...

May want to give him a shout.

Bob

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
There are various ways to fix that.

Do a search for handicap motorcycle braking systems. The dual front levers are made by several companies.

Various things on the market to do exactly what you need.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
..Thanks and I apologize for any flames or Wing miss understandings.
no worries.. I'm virtually flame proof.
:)

I posted something about re-doing the plumbing..
.. then the more I looked at it, the more I thought, "naw"..

I bet there is a "two hand brake levers" solution out there somewhere?

Dennis

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Check out this link. http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/klever.html

I do not have personal expereince with this, but do know that it is being used by some riders. This might be a bit pricy for you, at $2K for a short term fix.

I redid my brake lines and operate just the rears on the trike. May not be the best solutiuon for a two wheeler, but would be more then happy to share with you what I did. Feel free to drop me an email. [email protected] if I can help.

With how I reworked the lines, I do feel I might have enough pressure to install a proportioning value and thus direct some fluid to a few pucks up front, but have not stopped riding enough to play with it. Another possible idea might be a thumb brake that could be added to direct some pressure to the front. Just a few thoughts. Good luck with it and give me a holler if I can help.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Why not just adjust your riding style, slow down a bit and just use the front brake until your foot is healed up. The front brake alone is plenty...I just use the front brake myself a lot of the time. It's the cheapest and easiest solution for your short term need.....just a thought, hope everything goes well and you heal fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts