GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, I'm ready for a new helmet and was wondering what the masses are wearing, I've been wearing a Shoei neotec for about 5 or 6 years and ready for something different. Has anyone looked at the AGV sport modular or the HJC carbon rpha 90s.
I live in a small town and the local shops don't really carry a lot of different or high-end helmets. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I don't know about the masses, but I bought this one last weekend from Cycle Gear.
BILT Techno 2.0 Sena Bluetooth Evolution Modular Helmet

·
Registered
2019 Tour DCT
153 Posts
Just curious, I'm ready for a new helmet and was wondering what the masses are wearing, I've been wearing a Shoei neotec for about 5 or 6 years and ready for something different. Has anyone looked at the AGV sport modular or the HJC carbon rpha 90s.
I live in a small town and the local shops don't really carry a lot of different or high-end helmets. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.
just replaced my old Neotec with a new Neotec 2.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm wearing a Shoei Neotec II and love it, awesome helmet. I seriously considered the Schuberth C4, but when I was shopping they were out of stock in my size everywhere. Lots of choices for sure, comfort, quietness and face shield optics were three of the key factors in my decision. The downside is the integral Sena SLR can't be charged while in use... have not come up with a workaround and it is a problem if you are doing LD riding.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I am now also with the NEOTEC II. But I tried all those listed above and a few others. I really believe you need to try it on and wear it around the store for at least an hour. Even then you may not like it during a ride.

Reactions: fla_rider

·
Registered
166 Posts
Currently using Neotec II with Sena 50S. My second helmet is a Neotec, and when you place them side-by-side, you can see the aerodynamic changes to the Neotec II.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went Shoei Neotec to HJC RPHA 90. Both very good helmets but like the smaller profile of RPHA 90, it's lighter and I believe quieter when I forget to stick my ear plugs in.
But everyone's head is different; as someone said try a few on before you buy if you can.

·
Registered
874 Posts
As @AndyCote said, you'll be well served to go by your local shop and try a few on and wear them for a few minutes. Some are round, some oblong, etc. You want one you can wear for hours.

And if you find the one you want buy it from the shop. It may be a few dollars more, but they provided you a service for those few dollars - helmets to try on.

My wife and I have Schuberth, but not for any particular reason than they fit us. We will stay modular though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just like shoes, I would never buy a helmet without trying it on. My feet are weird and finding a good fit is a challenge. Ha... my head's the same way. I spend too many long hours in inside my helmet to take a chance.

For me, the Neotec, now 7 years old, just got some new inner pads and a good polish and is ready to begin serving its second life. Couple scratches here and there give it character.

·
Registered
555 Posts
So many choices....some things to ponder:
1. You get what you pay for - not only is this thing gonna protect your melon in a get-off but it is the most intimate piece of gear you will own/wear. Don't settle for something that is gonna annoy the c**p out of you.
2. RevZilla - they will support the sale. Even if you order the wrong size, you can return it. Excellent customer service.
3. AGV Sport Modular - I have this lid as a spare (believe it or not) because I got it for a gf that I hoped would enjoy riding. She didn't. I got it because it is THE LIGHTEST helmet (modular) that you can buy. Excellent quality.
4. Schuberth C4Pro Carbon - this is my lid and I love love love it! Yes, it's pricey but check it out. Light. Quiet. And German quality.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have a Shoei shaped head, nothing else works.
Neotec for the Wing, Neotec2 for the Ducati (the 2 is significantly quieter on the Duc).

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
I don't know about the masses, but I bought this one last weekend from Cycle Gear.
BILT Techno 2.0 Sena Bluetooth Evolution Modular Helmet

View attachment 375370
Bought this helmet for a passanger..its ok as a spare but the BT system is low line...you cant talk on intercom and listen to your music at the same time...its one or the other...if I had known that I wouldnt have bought this helmet.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I can speak to the HJC RPHA 90.
I have the non-carbon edition from 2018, in matte black XXL size.
I don't use any communication device with this helmet.
It is very light and comfortable.
I had the original Shoei Neotec, and I like this RPHA 90 better.
I wear glasses, and I don't have to remove my glasses when putting on or taking off this helmet.
A spreading of the bottom sides of the helmet with both hands is all that's needed.
The flip-up clear shield has no distortion, and the drop down sun visor is perfect.
Ventilation is very good, and with the shield down there is very little noise.
Buffeting is acceptably low in high speed windy conditions.
I can highly recommend the helmet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been riding for many years, most with a helmet. My best suggestion is to go to a showroom (or a meet - Daytona Bike Week, etc.) that has helmets from many different vendors and try them all on to find the one that fits best. HJC helmets are good for short heads - shoei goes for longer heads. Point being - they are almost all different and fit should be one of the first determining factors in helmet selection/manufacturers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the new HJC I9 and like it a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Shoei Neo II is my favorite-Arai 3/4 with visor and two shields one clear one dark smoke DOT Snell is for short trips, two HJC's that are backups. Really like them all in the order presented. The HJC would get a drip in heavy rain.

Reactions: fla_rider
1 - 20 of 51 Posts