GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Go to Revzilla and check out the LS2 Valiant. Modular with the chin bar flipping all the way back. I’ve had one for two years and love it. I’m ordering the newer Valiant II as a second helmet. Zilla has a liberal return policy for sizing issues. Their sizing chart is pretty good, but I took a Med in this helmet, when all others I’ve ever worn have been Large. very comfortable and convenient for riding open face and closing when it rains.

Reactions: eddiedial

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
<...>I live in a small town and the local shops don't really carry a lot of different or high-end helmets. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.
If you're simply wanting to move away from what you've been wearing for something different, then it's gonna totally be on you to figure out what different is acceptable on your head. Oh, don't necessarily compare sizes; an HJC is quite different from a Shoei, or an Arai.

If weather is still good where you are, might be a good time to consider a day-trip to the major metropolitan area near you and do a bit of shopping.

As another rider mentioned, trying to describe what fits my specific head (currently a Neotec 2...) can be an exercise in futility.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just ordered a Caberg Duke II from FC-Moto.

5 star Sharps rating.

I just wore out a Schuberth C3 pro and Have a Shoe Original Neo-Tech that I have barely worn. I'll have a Packtalk Bold mounted on one and a Sena 50 on the other.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I'm on my second HJC RPHA......this one is the 90, in gray-blue. I like it very much. I wore it in the heat of the summer without any issues. Most of my helmets have been HJC. I am very comfortable with them, so I keep getting them. I do wear glasses, so Modular helmets work fine for me. I also like the sunshade, which I often use without the shield. I often will use the shield on highways, when the wind is highest. My only gripe is how it sits on my head. I decided to modify the Styrofoam with #100 grit sand paper, using a light touch. It feels much better that way! I think if you lined all of us up and had us all use the same helmet, many of us would do that, regardless of the brand. I would buy this helmet again.

·
Registered
565 Posts
At the risk of being flamed by members as I have in past for saying this, it's rather futile asking what helmets other people wear when everyone's head is a different shape and different helmet interiors are shaped to fit different people's head shapes.

I have just gone through the process of selecting a new helmet.

The helmets that fit ME (fat face, wide cheeks and wear glasses) are the Schuberth C4 Pro/C4 Pro Carbon (XL), AGV Sportmodular Carbon (XL), HJC IS Max 2 (L), HJC Symax 3 (L), Nolan N104 (M), and Nolan N100 (M).

The Shoei Neotec 2 (XL) DOES NOT fit me. If the Shoei Neotec fits you, you LIKELY need to find a helmet with similar interior shape, which SUGGESTS the helmets that fit me won't fit your 'Shoei' shaped head.

You can research helmet reviews and interior shapes on Revzilla, Webbike World, and on YouTube: Fortnine (Canada), Motolegends (UK), and Champion Helmets (The Netherlands).

Good luck.

Tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agree with what others are saying. Best to be able to try it on or buy from a place that has easy returns. This is what I use and I like it. Good fit for my cranium. Simpson Mod Bandit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a Shoei TZR for 13 years and love it. But it was affordable somewhat with a sale and I got it for $250. Was thinking about a modular but the neotecs are $700!!! I went with a Nolan 100-5. On sale at Bikebandit at $266. Love it. It’s got all the features that I wanted. Sun visor, flip up, glasses friendly. It flips up and comes closer to the helmet on top so it doesn’t pull your head back in the wind and can be locked to ride in the open position. I wear earplugs and it is only slightly louder than the TZR, which is understandable since it’s a flip up. It’s also middle of the pack in weight, lighter than the neotec and the schuberth. It has the ability to accept a headset (can’t think of the name) but it clips right in and has compartments for the battery built in. All in all I think it’s a pretty good deal in modulars.
but I gotta tell ya, the ability to flip up and take a drink is so refreshing! Now as far as fitment, both the Shoei and Nolan fit me fine. As an aside with Bikebandit, I am in the middle of sizes and the first one was too small in medium, sent it back for a large. My wife also returned hers for a size bigger. No problem. Plus they were on a second day air special and we got them fast!
So this was my experience delving into the modular market.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Shoei Neotech2 w/Sena SRL electronics. The Simpson looks interesting. ALOT of racers wear them

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just curious, I'm ready for a new helmet and was wondering what the masses are wearing, I've been wearing a Shoei neotec for about 5 or 6 years and ready for something different. Has anyone looked at the AGV sport modular or the HJC carbon rpha 90s.
I live in a small town and the local shops don't really carry a lot of different or high-end helmets. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.
My favorite so far is the Klim TK1200.I've had HJC and shark modular helmets and the Klim is the lightest (carbon fiber)
and the transitions face shield is auto darkening.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

5 star Sharps rating.

I just wore out a Schuberth C3 pro and Have a Shoe Original Neo-Tech that I have barely worn. I'll have a Packtalk Bold mounted on one and a Sena 50 on the other.
It's a good looking helmet but I've never seen one or heard of them in the US. I don't know of anyone that carries Caberg.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I had a Shoei TZR for 13 years and love it. But it was affordable somewhat with a sale and I got it for $250. Was thinking about a modular but the neotecs are $700!!! I went with a Nolan 100-5. On sale at Bikebandit at $266. Love it. It’s got all the features that I wanted. Sun visor, flip up, glasses friendly. It flips up and comes closer to the helmet on top so it doesn’t pull your head back in the wind and can be locked to ride in the open position. I wear earplugs and it is only slightly louder than the TZR, which is understandable since it’s a flip up. It’s also middle of the pack in weight, lighter than the neotec and the schuberth. It has the ability to accept a headset (can’t think of the name) but it clips right in and has compartments for the battery built in. All in all I think it’s a pretty good deal in modulars.
but I gotta tell ya, the ability to flip up and take a drink is so refreshing! Now as far as fitment, both the Shoei and Nolan fit me fine. As an aside with Bikebandit, I am in the middle of sizes and the first one was too small in medium, sent it back for a large. My wife also returned hers for a size bigger. No problem. Plus they were on a second day air special and we got them fast!
So this was my experience delving into the modular market.
It broke my heart to sell my '04 ST, but I love this 2019 Wing that seems more like an ST than a touring bike.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's a good looking helmet but I've never seen one or heard of them in the US. I don't know of anyone that carries Caberg.
They aren't made for the American market. I ordered it from FC-Moto in Germany. It has all the European approvals. They are made in Italy and are the highest rated modular in the Sharps test. They aren't very expensive, so I thought I would give them a try.

The ends on the neck roll of my Schuberth C3 Pro failed, so I ordered another neck roll. Then the plastic tabs on the helmet where the new neck roll tabs were inserted cracked. I gave up and ordered the Caberg. I've been looking at them for a while.

I have one of the original Shoei Neotec that I didn't wear because I like the Schuberth better. But it is 4-5 years old. The Sharps test show the original Neotec staying closed 93% of the time, but the new one is only at 70% or so. The Caberg scored much better in impact tests. I don't think I'm hard to fit. The XLs fit tight at first, but loosen up over time.

Reactions: dduelin

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If you're simply wanting to move away from what you've been wearing for something different, then it's gonna totally be on you to figure out what different is acceptable on your head. Oh, don't necessarily compare sizes; an HJC is quite different from a Shoei, or an Arai.

If weather is still good where you are, might be a good time to consider a day-trip to the major metropolitan area near you and do a bit of shopping.

As another rider mentioned, trying to describe what fits my specific head (currently a Neotec 2...) can be an exercise in futility.
My reason for the initial post was more to just find out what GW riders like in a helmet, I'm on my 3rd Shoei, which I love, but it's 6 years old, the second set of chin pads and I just wanted to find out what other riders (mainly GW riders) are using. I just wanted to go with something different and I wanted some ideas other that Shoei. I know I'm gonna have to travel a little to try them on and make a choice but I've been on this forum for a good while and I trust you guys to get advice from. Ultimately I have to decide what I want to spend my money on, but I always get some help from these discussions, and often they make me look at something that I would never have thought about.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
My reason for the initial post was more to just find out what GW riders like in a helmet.
Personally, quiet and comfort.

(y)
Ultimately I have to decide what I want to spend my money on, but I always get some help from these discussions, and often they make me look at something that I would never have thought about.
The annual Motorcycle Shows were great for doing that kind of research. Many of the major brands in a single location; made looking for what was right (for your head and your wallet...) a lot easier.

Lid shopping the old way was still a challenge, but at least you could try them on and get expert advice on fit, etc.

How it's going to work in the future will be a different story.

Luck to ya in your search!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
They aren't made for the American market. I ordered it from FC-Moto in Germany. It has all the European approvals. They are made in Italy and are the highest rated modular in the Sharps test. They aren't very expensive, so I thought I would give them a try.

The ends on the neck roll of my Schuberth C3 Pro failed, so I ordered another neck roll. Then the plastic tabs on the helmet where the new neck roll tabs were inserted cracked. I gave up and ordered the Caberg. I've been looking at them for a while.

I have one of the original Shoei Neotec that I didn't wear because I like the Schuberth better. But it is 4-5 years old. The Sharps test show the original Neotec staying closed 93% of the time, but the new one is only at 70% or so. The Caberg scored much better in impact tests. I don't think I'm hard to fit. The XLs fit tight at first, but loosen up over time.
I was

[/QUOTE
I did like the price, $212.00 is pretty cheap for a highly rated helmet.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Shoei Neotech2 w/Sena SRL electronics. The Simpson looks interesting. ALOT of racers wear them
Simpson is a good quality helmet. Keep in mind that Simpson started out as an automotive helmet maker, so their M/C helmets tend not to flow as much air as a motorcycle specific helmet. My experience with Simpson was that their customer service (at least to their retailers) was lacking as was inventory and parts.I never saw a Simpson rep in the place I worked, but I saw the Shoei/HJC, Arai and Scorpion reps every week.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, if this Goldwing wasn’t better in the ST kinda way I wouldn’t be so happy with it!!! But I can’t say enough good things about the Nolan. Just took a half hour ride to get the Helibars and Utopia in sync. Back roads at around 50mph with the helmet up and the sunshield down. Was nice, cool and relaxing. Hit the freeway and down it comes to be slicing through the wind. But there’s nothing like being able to fill up has and drink a soda without have to take off the helmet.

·
Registered
372 Posts

5 star Sharps rating.

No offense, but I would never purchase a Caberg helmet or any cheap helmet to protect my head. My head is worth more than $179.00. I actually recall reading and article on the BMW sport touring board about a person seeing a Caberg helmet that had been in an accident. The quote that stuck in my head was "It shattered like a Christmas Ornament". Oi.

Perhaps they have gotten better. This was a few years back. But I don't think I'll be buying a helmet that costs $179.00. Not that price is alway indicative of quality, but it sure usually has an effect.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I ended up paying mid 3 hundreds. The listed price is Euros. I don't know. It is Sharps 5 star rated and the bar stays intact 90 per cent of the time, whereas the Neotec 2 is 4 star and the bar only stayed intact 70 per cent of the time. I know they only have 1 size shell; not a disadvantage to me as I wear an XL. The sunglass lever is at the back of the helmet instead of the sides, again a cost cutting measure of little consequence to me. Sometimes there is a linear response between price and performance; sometimes there isn't. I am a believer in objective impartial tests.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts