GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have had a nolan n 100 for probably 15 years or so, this helmet has been incredible and taken me many miles down the road and has been my main full face modular other than a half helmet and a few other full face that I rarely wear. I figured I better protect my head and get a new helmet. I am lost on what type of Modular to get and who to order from. Has anyone ordered from Chromeburner? I don't know if it's better to order a helmet from a company in the US or Europe, as Chromeburner seems to have some good deals with free shipping if you meet the price point. The only part you pay after that is customs charges that I was told are 10-20 percent of your order.

I have been watching and reading to many reviews. I am looking at the Nolan N 100 5 Plus and can save a few hundred dollars ordering outside of the U.S.
I am looking at:

Nolan

Schuberth C5 looks to be an incredible helmet.

HJC i90

Shoei: Don't wanna pay 800 just for the helmet so that excludes Shoei.

Klim: TK1200: I dig the helmet shield transitioning for you automatically. However, I do like to ride a bit with my chinbar up and would think I would want a helmet that has the internal sun visor. What Klim has is spectacular and would be awesome, I just think maybe not due to not having an internal sun visor to use when you shield is up.

Any suggestions or what you like and companies that have had good service would be great. Also, ordering from Motocard or Chromeburner again I can save a few hundred dollars.

Thanks,

Matt

· Registered
1,785 Posts
Since you don't want to invest in your head with $800 helmets...

I got my Shoei NeotecII for $699+tax from Cyclegear. Subtract 10% for Veteran's discount...

That was just begore price jumped up $100😆 Now days, they're $799.

Alternatives are available at CycleGear for less. I do have 2 others from them, $150 or so?

· Registered
2,493 Posts
A few words of advice:

Fitment
I have a Nolan head. . . that is, Nolan helmets fit my shape of head. I’ve owned 3 Nolans. I’ve found through trying various brands, only the Schuberth C4 and HJC modulars fit my (our??) head shape.

I cannot fit Shoei or Klim, the two brands you’re also considering. It may be different for you.

You really need to try the helmet you want to ensure it fits comfortably.

Retailers
I try to support my local dealer. If they can come close to online retailers’ prices, I’ll spend the few extra bucks to buy locally. I bought my HJC modular locally.

Local retailers sometimes can’t come close to online retailers’ prices for some helmets (such as Schuberth in my case.). I ended up ordering online from Champion Helmets in the Netherlands, saving hundreds of dollars CDN. The purchase was painless, shipping was free to Canada, and the helmet arrived in about 2-/12 weeks if I recall correctly.

Good luck.

Tim

· Registered
174 Posts
I have a Nolan n100-5, and aside from underperforming on airflow it is a great helmet. My wife has the C3 Lite and it is nowhere near as well made as the Nolan. The anchor points for the chin bar in particular are much less sturdy and secure. Hers does breathe better though. I’m not sure how the high end Schuberth helmets are but dollar for dollar the Nolan is much better.

· Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
2,215 Posts
Last two helmets for me were an HJC RPHA MAX and a Schuberth C3 Pro. Still use the C3 daily. Comfortable, quiet, seals well, internal visor, the white is beautiful. Good ventilation on the top of the head, too. I'm interested in the C5 as a replacement eventually, but for now - with C3 Pro at $500, I might just do a replacement.

· Registered
2014 HD FLHTK Ultra Limited, 2003 Honda ST1300A
96 Posts
Helmets are like shoes when fitting, everyone has his/her own size and shape.
Shoei are only ones that fit properly. They are also consistently rated as one of the quietest helmets.

Safety is important also.
I’m not wrapping my head in a cheap helmet just to save a few bucks.
Last one I bought was on sale at local dealer where I have done business for years.

Shoei Neotec and RF1200 are current ones I use.

If you don’t find the ‘exact’ fit 1st time delivered, you could be wasting a lot of time and effort shipping things back and forth.

My opinion only…

· Registered
2020 DCT Tour, Red/Black
1,158 Posts
Helmets should be replaced every 5 years or so. Its an important investment. My simple, cheap input here is to go to a large dealer, and just spend some time trying on the big names. Walk around on the floor with the helmet on. If you have not had a hair cut in 5 years, do that before you go. be loyal to the well known names. They will protect your melon for sure. I went with HJC 90S RPHA Carbon. This thing cost me shipped, a year ago, 475.00 from a supplier in Florida. The dealer wanted 125.00 more. I can't say enough about this incredible well built, quite and extremely light head cover. Just fantastic. many options out there, all well designed. The bottom line, what works for YOU!!!

· Premium Member
2007 GL1800 CSC Viper Conversion
1,651 Posts
As far as the Klim TK1200, that is the one I use. I actually don't miss the internal drop down visor because I use some decent wraparound sunglasses that have cheater lenses on the bottom. These help me to see the dash, controls, gps, etc... You could also just use decent wraparound sunglasses without the cheater lenses too I guess. What is nice with the Transition visor is that if I have the sun in my eyes and the sunglasses just aren't enough, combining that with the Klim visor and it really blocks the sun but allows me to still see around.

I actually prefer wearing sunglasses instead of the drop-down visor. My reasoning is that when I'm off the bike at wherever I was going to be going, I'm probably also going to be wearing my sunglasses. By wearing them while riding, I don't have to figure out where to put them or worry about accidentally breaking them.

· Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
1,117 Posts
Fitment is the most important thing to me.

I have Shoei Neotech II. Fits perfect for me. Pretty sure it is "intermediate oval" shaped.
I wear glasses and wrap around Rx sun glasses and they fit behind the sun visor with no issue.

Fairly quiet when all closed up.

· Registered
2021 Honda Tour DCT Airbag, 2021 Indian Springfield Dark Horse
15 Posts
IMHO the Shoei Neotec 2 is unrivaled when it comes to modular helmets. I've tried the cheaper brands, as well as, other makers of quality helmets, I always come back to Shoei. I know everyone's head is different, and not all can afford to drop $800 on a lid, but to me the comfort, noise reduction, ventilation, materials, and build quality make it money well spent. I do agree with others that Cycle Gear and/or Revzilla are excellent places to try on a vast variety of helmets. We're lucky to have both here in PA.

· Registered
17,883 Posts
Slammerman; to me it seems as if you have the hard part pretty much whipped. My experience with Nolan is that they are the best fit for pumpkin heads like me and that experienc is with the N-100. I do not care much for the weight of the modular design, but the fit was great. I mostly wear the highway patrolmans type of helmet and risk the possible extra facial morbidity/mortality. My XXL Shoei is tight even with the optional cheek padding removed. If you go outside of the model(s) you know fit, then try before you buy to save time, money, and frustration.

prs

· Registered
4,015 Posts
I brought a pair of alpinestars racing boots from chromeburner a couple of years ago and had no issues with them there shipping was very quick I saved a few bucks as they were more expensive here in Australia I knew my boot size in alpinestars which is a 45 but was still sweating worried if it did not fit properly as one poster mentioned it would pain hassle to return etc If you must order from them be 100% sure of your head size Personally with helmets I would go to a retailer and try them for fit and comfort on good luck (y)

· Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Matt, not an expert but..... I did some research several years ago regarding the modular helmets. At that time (and the last time I did look which was a few years ago) the only helmet that was certified to be used with the chin guard up was the Shark Evoline (the new one is called the Shark EVO-One 2 it appears). The sizing was a bit different so while I usually worn a large, a medium was the best fit for me.

Works well. Seems to wear well. I am on my second one. Only issue with the first one was age (I think I got it some 10 years ago). My wife has one as well.

Shark EVO-ONE 2 Blank

· Registered
2018 DCT Tour
1,367 Posts
A few words of advice:

Fitment
I have a Nolan head. . . that is, Nolan helmets fit my shape of head... I cannot fit Shoei...
Tim
Looking at this info above, I'm wondering why Shoei's don't fit you properly. I've had a Shoei Neotec for 10 years but it's always been too right front to back: squishes my forehead.

· Premium Member
2022 DCT Tour
145 Posts
Euro venders do not sell DOT compliant helmets. While their helmet’s may pass the latest Euro certification, the latest DOT requirements are more stringent. The Euro certification does not require penetration resistance.

Case in point, the new Schuberth C5 passed all Euro compliance when introduced, but had to have more protective material added to the inner shell to pass(penetration test) for the United States DOT certification that came 6 months later. It’s not illegal to ship a Euro spec helmet to a customer in the USA. It’s on you, to be informed that it’s not DOT compliant. Thus, less expensive to the American audience.

And some riders could care less about the best protection… when you can buy a cheap Chinese skid lid that satisfies the cops.

RevZilla sells legit helmets and an outstanding return policy if your helmet does not fit.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts