GL1800Riders Forums banner
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
I have a Nolan n100-5, and aside from underperforming on airflow it is a great helmet. My wife has the C3 Lite and it is nowhere near as well made as the Nolan. The anchor points for the chin bar in particular are much less sturdy and secure. Hers does breathe better though. I’m not sure how the high end Schuberth helmets are but dollar for dollar the Nolan is much better.
I'm in the market for a new helmet also. I currently have a Nolan N-104 large that fits me very well. I was looking at the Nolan N100-5 and was going to order a large, but was told this helmet size is a little smaller than the 104 and should get an XL. There is no one in my area that handles Nolan helmets so it's very hard to determine if i need to go to an XL. The main helmet sold in my area are the HJC's. I tried the i90 and the large is way to tight and the XL is loose. I've had my head measured and it's 23-1/2", but that just seems to get in the ballpark on size.

· Registered
138 Posts
I have the i90 and like it a lot but replaced the inner cheek pads with smaller ones and it fits like a glove now. an extra $30 or so I think.

Your mileage will most likely vary. Wife and I both have the HJC i90. It's a good helmet, but we've found them to be very uncomfortable along the jaw and cheek. They are very tight to the point that my jaw would ache after 30 minutes or so. They never did break in to a comfortable point, so I used a hot iron on the liner foam and got it to a bearable point. Not really comfortable, just bearable. We will go with another brand for our next helmets. These are the second HJC helmets we've had and found them all to have this problem.
Just our experience .

· Registered
2018 DCT Tour, Several Valks
67 Posts
I have a Bell SRT and a HJC i90. Both are good but are not the most quiet helmets.

HJC just came out with the i100 modular that the chin bar rotates all the way back, to cut down on wind grab while moving.

· Registered
1,620 Posts
I have a Bell SRT and a HJC i90. Both are good but are not the most quiet helmets.

HJC just came out with the i100 modular that the chin bar rotates all the way back, to cut down on wind grab while moving.
I saw that HJC helmet on their webpage and saw the picture of the chin bar all the way back on the back of the helmet. I thought that was a GREAT benefit. Kudos to them for that design.

· Registered
1,620 Posts
I've never heard of anyone who got a ticket for a non-DOT helmet! Cops do NOT know the difference between a DOT and non-DOT form looking at it unless it's obvious. They get absolutely zero training on that!!!
They probably have a lot more threatening issues to dela with than whether or not a helmet is DOT. LOL! So I get what you are saying and I agree with you. I can think of only ONE exception: You a wearing a "beanie" helmet and get stopped by a Motor Officer....and you "cop" ( sorry, couldn't help it ) an attitude with the officer. A Motor officer can most likely tell it's a non-DOT conforming helmet, and since you're being a jerk, they pull the OLE Ticket Book out and cite you for the offense. Just because they can! Outside of that happening, I doubt it would ever happen.

· Registered
22 Posts
I saw that HJC helmet on their webpage and saw the picture of the chin bar all the way back on the back of the helmet. I thought that was a GREAT benefit. Kudos to them for that design.

i think Shark came with that design (Shark Evo) first, then LS2 (came with a lil cheaper version Valiant 1 an d Valiant 2) and HJC jumped to the bandwagon now...

PS: I own a LS2 Valaint 1 and am very happy with the functionality, noise not so much :)

· Registered
5,807 Posts
I've never heard of anyone who got a ticket for a non-DOT helmet! Cops do NOT know the difference between a DOT and non-DOT form looking at it unless it's obvious. They get absolutely zero training on that!!!
Quite an assumption that a trained officer would not know the difference in a non compliant helmet. Hell most of us do with no training at all. The people I know that have been cited were wearing the obvious non compliant skull cap style helmets. Maybe most people you know care enough about their safety that they are not wearing fake helmets, so no violation committed. Or maybe you live in a no helmet law state like the others who have commented in disbelief.

It's unlikely that anyone will ever be pulled over for riding down the highway without wearing the obvious fakes. But it is likely your helmet could come under scrutiny at check points or become a secondary violation in a traffic stop. The point is that you can be fined in a state with helmet laws for not having a DOT certified helmet. Since this is not the subject of this tread I will try to refrain from further comments of what should be apparent.

· Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,215 Posts
Quite an assumption that a trained officer would not know the difference in a non compliant helmet. Hell most of us do with no training at all. The people I know that have been cited were wearing the obvious non compliant skull cap style helmets. Maybe most people you know care enough about their safety that they are not wearing fake helmets, so no violation committed. Or maybe you live in a no helmet law state like the others who have commented in disbelief.

It's unlikely that anyone will ever be pulled over for riding down the highway without wearing the obvious fakes. But it is likely your helmet could come under scrutiny at check points or become a secondary violation in a traffic stop. The point is that you can be ned in a state with helmet laws for not having a DOT certified helmet. Since this is not the subject of this tread I will try to refrain from further comments of what should be apparent.

I'm my State...Delaware...you can ride without a helmet..but, you got to have a DOT approves helmet in your possession while riding...failure to have that helmet that you don't have to wear will result in a equipment violation which is a fine of around 100 dollars or so with all the court costs and all

· Registered
5,807 Posts
I'm my State...Delaware...you can ride without a helmet..but, you got to have a DOT approves helmet in your possession while riding...failure to have that helmet that you don't have to wear will result in a equipment violation which is a fine of around 100 dollars or so with all the court costs and all
In WV it's $100.00 for first offense, up to $500.00 for subsequent violations. We must wear a DOT certified helmet, no exceptions.

· Registered
2018 tour
59 Posts
I have the i90 and like it a lot but replaced the inner cheek pads with smaller ones and it fits like a glove now. an extra $30 or so I think.
Funny you should mention changing the cheek pads. I talked with someone (at HJC, I think) about changing pads and they told me it couldn't be done. Stopped at a local shop yesterday and one of the sales guys got curious and found that I could order new thinner pads and we verified they would fit by trying them out. So, new pads are on the way and I'm pretty happy about it. I just wish I had found out a lot sooner!
And you are correct, they were about $30.00.

· Registered
918 Posts
Hey all, I have had a nolan n 100 for probably 15 years or so, this helmet has been incredible and taken me many miles down the road and has been my main full face modular other than a half helmet and a few other full face that I rarely wear. I figured I better protect my head and get a new helmet. I am lost on what type of Modular to get and who to order from. Has anyone ordered from Chromeburner? I don't know if it's better to order a helmet from a company in the US or Europe, as Chromeburner seems to have some good deals with free shipping if you meet the price point. The only part you pay after that is customs charges that I was told are 10-20 percent of your order.

I have been watching and reading to many reviews. I am looking at the Nolan N 100 5 Plus and can save a few hundred dollars ordering outside of the U.S.
I am looking at:

Nolan

Schuberth C5 looks to be an incredible helmet.

HJC i90

Shoei: Don't wanna pay 800 just for the helmet so that excludes Shoei.

Klim: TK1200: I dig the helmet shield transitioning for you automatically. However, I do like to ride a bit with my chinbar up and would think I would want a helmet that has the internal sun visor. What Klim has is spectacular and would be awesome, I just think maybe not due to not having an internal sun visor to use when you shield is up.

Any suggestions or what you like and companies that have had good service would be great. Also, ordering from Motocard or Chromeburner again I can save a few hundred dollars.

Thanks,

Matt
May I suggest you give "The Helmet Shop" a look for whatever you desire. I've purchased many from them.
Enjoy!
FYI: At times you can purchase from them for less than their web advertised price. So, it's best to call.

· Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,846 Posts
Funny you should mention changing the cheek pads. I talked with someone (at HJC, I think) about changing pads and they told me it couldn't be done. Stopped at a local shop yesterday and one of the sales guys got curious and found that I could order new thinner pads and we verified they would fit by trying them out. So, new pads are on the way and I'm pretty happy about it. I just wish I had found out a lot sooner!
And you are correct, they were about $30.00.
With the exception of some really cheap helmets, almost all manufacturers have different size cheekpads and top liners. Usually they will make 2-5 shell sizes, then use various size pads for small, medium large. etc. If your helmet fits well around the crown of your head, but is loose at the cheeks, you can substitute thicker cheekpads. As your pads get older, they compress and your helmet fits looser. You can then replace cheek pads and top liner to get a proper fit back. I wear a medium Shoei Neotech....it came with 35mm cheekpads, but I swapped them out for 39mm pads for a better fit.

· Premium Member
2022 DCT Tour
145 Posts
Charleetho…

the Schubert C5 was introduced in November of 2021 and only passed ECE 22.06 testing. Even the latest ECE-R 22.06 regulation does not require a penetration/ puncture test as does the DOT. Having a legit helmet that passes both ECE and DOT is a superior product than ECE 22.06 alone.

Schuberth does not just apply counterfeit stickers to their helmets to pass them along to the US market. They test and redesign if needed.

Press release Nov 2022… The SCHUBERTH C5 is the new state of the art of the SCHUBERTH flip up collection and the first helmet featuring the P/J homologation and approved according to the new ECE-R 22.06 regulation.(No mention of DOT yet, as it would take more months of testing)

Unfortunately for Schuberth. the DOT requires a penetration test(ECE does not) to protect the skull from a sharp rod object dropped from a specific height. Schuberth had to add 3oz more of Kevlar to pass this test, and was finally redesigned and certified to pass the the DOT test in spring of 2022. In June of 2022, the redesigned DOT Schuberth C5’s arrived in the US.

The ECE 22.06 Schuberth C5 alone is not up to par with the DOT C5 that was released in May of 2022 to the USA. The 2022 version of the C5 now complies with both and is a superior helmet.

Call SchuberthUSA, as this story comes from Greg, their director of sales for the US market.

· Registered
20,609 Posts
Shoei Neotech2

If you have a cheap head get a cheap helmet.
Protect the parts you want to keep

· Registered
3,447 Posts
That's what I was thinking. If they are out busting people for a non DOT helmets, they're looking at the 1/2 helmet beanie types. Probably not looking at modular, full face or even 3/4 helmets of Wing riders.

· Registered
241 Posts
My wife wears a scorpion. I changed the cheek pads and it fits her pretty well, still presses a little on her forehead. I think her head is a little more oval. I am an intermediate oval and Shoei fits me well.

· Registered
2018 DCT
107 Posts
Be careful ordering stuff from them. Depending on how they ship it you might get hammered with import duties.
Happened to me a few years ago with some boots. Had to pay an extra $90 to UPS which I had no idea until they arrived.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts