GL1800Riders Forums banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Be careful ordering stuff from them. Depending on how they ship it you might get hammered with import duties.
Happened to me a few years ago with some boots. Had to pay an extra $90 to UPS which I had no idea until they arrived.
YES! Stick with folks like Chrome Burner. Never had a problem. Never had a surprise.

· Registered
2,493 Posts
Deleted.

(Edit: Shipping METHOD has nothing to do with import charges. Import duties and taxes are determined if applicable by the government (Canada Customs in Canada) when the item crosses the border via a shipper.

In Canada, what we consumers have to be wary of is “brokerage” fees, which many shippers such as Fedex charge us for the paperwork they do to bring the product into Canada. These brokerage fees are large enough to make many purchases, especially small ones, economically unfeasible for importing to Canada.)

Tim

· Registered
5,752 Posts
Since you don't want to invest in your head with $800 helmets...

I got my Shoei NeotecII for $699+tax from Cyclegear. Subtract 10% for Veteran's discount...

That was just begore price jumped up $100😆 Now days, they're $799.

Alternatives are available at CycleGear for less. I do have 2 others from them, $150 or so?
Yes you get what you pay for. Shoei and shuberth are the top 2

· Registered
1,785 Posts
Yes you get what you pay for. Shoei and shuberth are the top 2
I agree. I "used to" get the cheapest possible, $100 or so.

Then, I realized the track record of those cheap helmets vs the premium brands and found OUR heads are worth MORE than @$100/each.

Yes, once you crash, hope that'll never happen, the helmets are no good structurally and need to be replaced.

Also, these helmets DON'T last a lifetime. Most are to be replaced every 5-7 years or so, which could also deter people from investing in these premium brands...catch 22.

I'm sticking with premium, OUR heads are worth more than money.

· Registered
5,808 Posts
Just curious, do all of you chiding those who do not wish to pay $800.00 for a helmet, feel that your head is only worth $800.00? Do you feel that the $800.00 helmet goes through some other testing that a cheaper helmet with the same certifications dont? It doesn't. Just trying to understand the logic.

· Registered
2,493 Posts
Just curious, do all of you chiding those who do not wish to pay $800.00 for a helmet, feel that your head is only worth $800.00? Do you feel that the $800.00 helmet goes through some other testing than a cheaper helmet with the same certifications? It doesn't. Just trying to understand the logic.
As I repeatedly like to remind folks, logic has no place in Internet discussions.

People make all sorts of claims based on their beliefs. I’m of the “give me DATA or give me death” school of thought.

I am unaware of any recent research that has shown expensive (certified) helmets are any safer than less expensive (certified) helmets, or whether the different helmet certifications (DOT, SNELL, European, etc.) show any difference in injury or fatalities.

The only research I recall was the Hurt Study published decades ago, If I recall correctly, that research showed only that wearing a DOT or Snell certified helmet offered more protection than wearing no helmet (or a non certified one??), and there was no difference between DOT and Snell. My recollection may be wrong. I welcome seeing published research on the effectiveness of motorcycle helmet protection on the issue of less expensive vs more expensive, and real world differences between DOT, Snell and other certification standards.

Personally, I own relatively inexpensive (HJC) and expensive (Schuberth) helmets and like them and feel equally safe wearing either. But that’s me.

Tim

· Registered
5,808 Posts
As I repeatedly like to remind folks, logic has no place in Internet discussions.

People make all sorts of claims based on their beliefs. I’m of the “give me DATA or give me death” school of thought.

I am unaware of any recent research that has shown expensive (certified) helmets are any safer than less expensive (certified) helmets, or whether the different helmet certifications (DOT, SNELL, European, etc.) show any difference in injury or fatalities.

The only research I recall was the Hurt Study published decades ago, If I recall correctly, that research showed only that wearing a DOT or Snell certified helmet offered more protection than wearing no helmet (or a non certified one??), and there was no difference between DOT and Snell. My recollection may be wrong. I welcome seeing published research on the effectiveness of motorcycle helmet protection on the issue of less expensive vs more expensive, and real world differences between DOT, Snell and other certification standards.

Personally, I own relatively inexpensive (HJC) and expensive (Schuberth) helmets and like them and feel equally safe wearing either. But that’s me.

Tim
Agree, I researched the subject extensively several years ago. At that time, there was no real world data that indicated that between Snell, DOT, ECE any one standard was superior to any other, I'm not aware that it has changed. I also found that all three standards used Pass/Fail test. There is not different levels of protection. A $150.00 helmet bearing these certifications had to pass the same test as the $800.00 helmet bearing the same certifications. Obviously there are different features offered and different comfort levels, but not different protection levels.

· Registered
32 Posts
I went from a regular full face to a modular, my choice was a Scorpion EXO AT 950. It has a peak (not sure what the word is, the thing that motocross helmets have on top) and a very large face shield and a drop down sun visor. The peak as well as the face shield can be removed if desired so it can function as a road helmet or a mx helmet. Ive been quite happy with it. I'ride a Goldwing on the street and an ADV bike on trips to MExico and offroad and Ive never had an issue with wind buffeting from the peak so I leave it on all the time.

As for the arguments made that the more expensive helmets are better, as some posters have indicated, there doesnt seem to be any evidence to suggest that spending more gets you correspondingly better protection so Im fine with my $260 helmet. I was also fine with my $125 helmet (Bilt Raptor sold by Cycle Gear) but I did want the modular feature.

· Premium Member
339 Posts
For those with modular helmets and glasses.

Can you put your modular helmet on with your glasses on or do you have to take them off to don the helmet?

· Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,846 Posts
It is true that a $200 helmet that passed a test (Snell, DOT, ECE, your choice) will provide the same basic protection as a $1000 helmet that passed the same test. The difference comes in build quality, materials and engineering. I worked in a store that specialized in helmet sales, so I got to examine many brands as well as try them on. The cheaper helmets frequently had issues with hinges, vents, visor baseplates, pads and trim. The more expensive brands tended not to have these issues. I have seen brand new helmets out of the box with cracks in the chin bar (not modular)....obviously a manufacturing defect.

· Registered
2,493 Posts

Can you put your modular helmet on with your glasses on or do you have to take them off to don the helmet?
Yes, I can keep my glasses on whenever I put on or take off both my HJC and Schuberth helmets, and I have a very broad (fat) face. I even went to the trouble to ask my optician to recommend glasses with extra thin arms to help me fit my helmets more easily.

Tim

· Registered
2021 GL1800B
368 Posts

I can, but honestly I usually take my glasses off when putting my helmet on, sometimes when I take it off. I tried on a lot of helmets and found the HJC worked better with my glasses than the other brands. I currently wear an HJC RPHA 90S.

· Registered
30 Posts
Hey all, I have had a nolan n 100 for probably 15 years or so, this helmet has been incredible and taken me many miles down the road and has been my main full face modular other than a half helmet and a few other full face that I rarely wear. I figured I better protect my head and get a new helmet. I am lost on what type of Modular to get and who to order from. Has anyone ordered from Chromeburner? I don't know if it's better to order a helmet from a company in the US or Europe, as Chromeburner seems to have some good deals with free shipping if you meet the price point. The only part you pay after that is customs charges that I was told are 10-20 percent of your order.

I have been watching and reading to many reviews. I am looking at the Nolan N 100 5 Plus and can save a few hundred dollars ordering outside of the U.S.
I am looking at:

Nolan

Schuberth C5 looks to be an incredible helmet.

HJC i90

Shoei: Don't wanna pay 800 just for the helmet so that excludes Shoei.

Klim: TK1200: I dig the helmet shield transitioning for you automatically. However, I do like to ride a bit with my chinbar up and would think I would want a helmet that has the internal sun visor. What Klim has is spectacular and would be awesome, I just think maybe not due to not having an internal sun visor to use when you shield is up.

Any suggestions or what you like and companies that have had good service would be great. Also, ordering from Motocard or Chromeburner again I can save a few hundred dollars.

Thanks,

Matt
I bought the HJC i90 as my first modular helmet and I love it. The fit is good. It feels a little heavy when holding it in your hands but once you put it on it feels like any other shell. I got mine for 2 reasons: First off I liked the idea of the modular because several of the members of my Club use them and swear by them; the second reason was the ability to put the battery pack on a headset into the rear of the helmet. I don't own the headset yet but that was a buying plus for me. Now that I've worn the helmet in different situations I discovered that riding in low temps with the chin bar down and the little velcro chin piece in place my head is actually warm inside the i90. I'm happy with it!

· Registered
30 Posts
Hey all, I have had a nolan n 100 for probably 15 years or so, this helmet has been incredible and taken me many miles down the road and has been my main full face modular other than a half helmet and a few other full face that I rarely wear. I figured I better protect my head and get a new helmet. I am lost on what type of Modular to get and who to order from. Has anyone ordered from Chromeburner? I don't know if it's better to order a helmet from a company in the US or Europe, as Chromeburner seems to have some good deals with free shipping if you meet the price point. The only part you pay after that is customs charges that I was told are 10-20 percent of your order.

I have been watching and reading to many reviews. I am looking at the Nolan N 100 5 Plus and can save a few hundred dollars ordering outside of the U.S.
I am looking at:

Nolan

Schuberth C5 looks to be an incredible helmet.

HJC i90

Shoei: Don't wanna pay 800 just for the helmet so that excludes Shoei.

Klim: TK1200: I dig the helmet shield transitioning for you automatically. However, I do like to ride a bit with my chinbar up and would think I would want a helmet that has the internal sun visor. What Klim has is spectacular and would be awesome, I just think maybe not due to not having an internal sun visor to use when you shield is up.

Any suggestions or what you like and companies that have had good service would be great. Also, ordering from Motocard or Chromeburner again I can save a few hundred dollars.

Thanks,

Matt
One thing I forgot to mention: I wear glasses and other helmets I've had, HJC included, were sometime uncomfortable with the glasses on. The i90 has cut-outs for your glass frames. Great feature!

81 - 100 of 110 Posts