GL1800Riders Forums banner
101 - 110 of 110 Posts

· Registered
514 Posts
..... I am looking at the Nolan N 100 5 Plus and can save a few hundred dollars ordering outside of the U.S.
Any suggestions or what you like and companies that have had good service would be great.....
OEMCYCLE.com in Tennessee has great customer service and excellent prices, with free shipping and no sales tax.
My Nolan Modular N100-5 in Gloss Black was $229. Great deal.
Jefro.

· Registered
2020 DCT Tour, Red/Black
1,158 Posts
I just saw that LS2 has a new Fully Carbon, P/J cert, called Avant X. Looks promising to me. A bit on the higher $, but worth it. After all, 5 years is a long time covering the melon, safely.

· Registered
1,643 Posts
DOT sets a standard and "trusts" helmet manufacturers to build to that standard. It doesn't mean a helmet was actually tested. There was a recent article that found that something like 40% of DOT labeled helmets failed tests. A Snell certification means the helmet was actually tested and passed. I'm not sure how the ECE (European) standard is enforced or tested.
4 out of 10 DOT-Certified Helmets Fail Government Performance Tests
Most of them failed because of improper labeling. Not because of impacts. I would not buy a helmet from a manufacturer that doesn't know how to properly create a DOT label.

I have no problem with reputable manufacturers like HJC and Scorpion DOT helmets.

Reactions: T-88

· Registered
2,493 Posts
Most of them failed because of improper labeling. Not because of impacts. I would not buy a helmet from a manufacturer that doesn't know how to properly create a DOT label.

I have no problem with reputable manufacturers like HJC and Scorpion DOT helmets.
This raises an interesting philosophical question: Just because a helmet fails one of many tests, does that mean the helmet isn’t ”safe?”

It seems to me the ideas of “safety” and “protection” are on a spectrum. If a helmet fails a penetration test, does it matter if the wearer is in a collision whose helmet is impacted, but not penetrated?

Winter musings to further lead this discussion off-topic. . .

Tim

· Registered
2022 GL1800 Tour
16 Posts
My current helmet is a HJC RPHA 90S Carbon. Extremely light weight, quiet and comfortable. I have owned 3 RPHA helmets, the Max, the 90S and now the Carbon. Each one just keeps getting better. The plushness of the interior rivals that of my Shoei Neotec 2. Not quite as good but extremely close for a lot less money. My RPHA Carbon comes in at 3 lb 5.5 oz in a large. My previous Neotec 2 in a medium was 3 lb 14.5 oz. When you have a bad neck that 9 oz less makes a big difference. I find HJC RPHA series helmets have the same head shape as what my Neotec 2 and GT Air were.

Helmet Sports equipment Sports gear Motorcycle helmet Personal protective equipment

Helmet Sports equipment Automotive lighting Sports gear Motorcycle accessories

· Registered
1,643 Posts
I bought a RPHA 90S carbon I tried on at the store. It felt great, but I didn't leave the chinbar down while in the store. Later I found when latching the chin bar it pulls in the lower part of the shell near at jaw-line. It actually caused me pain in a short period of time. I wanted to try thinner cheek pads but they were forever out of stock. I sold the helmet to another rider, and he has the same complaint. I'm glad it works for you.

· Registered
2020 DCT Tour, Red/Black
1,158 Posts
I bought a RPHA 90S carbon I tried on at the store. It felt great, but I didn't leave the chinbar down while in the store. Later I found when latching the chin bar it pulls in the lower part of the shell near at jaw-line. It actually caused me pain in a short period of time. I wanted to try thinner cheek pads but they were forever out of stock. I sold the helmet to another rider, and he has the same complaint. I'm glad it works for you.
The HJC Helmets need to break in. The foam they use is top notch. Many don’t give it a chance and the jaw pressure panic kicks in. It took few good days for it to adjust and LG is perfect for me. It’s a shame. I know exactly that lower pressure you are talking about. This helmet is fantastic. I don’t use my others anymore.

· Registered
2022 GL1800 Tour
16 Posts
Wasn't finished and haven't been here long enough to edit.

I was going to say there is nothing worse than a helmet that doesn't fit right. I can relate as for some reason my Shoei GT Air would cause me pain to my left ear. The cheek pads weren't too tight but something was putting pressure on my ear. At the end of a 5,200 mile trip around the western states it would almost bring tears to my eyes trying to take it off at the end of the day. As much as I liked it when I bought it I sold it after that trip.

· Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,215 Posts
Wasn't finished and haven't been here long enough to edit.

I was going to say there is nothing worse than a helmet that doesn't fit right. I can relate as for some reason my Shoei GT Air would cause me pain to my left ear. The cheek pads weren't too tight but something was putting pressure on my ear. At the end of a 5,200 mile trip around the western states it would almost bring tears to my eyes trying to take it off at the end of the day. As much as I liked it when I bought it I sold it after that trip.
I had that issue with my GT Air..it was the speaker just barely touching my ear...just took a bit of adjustment to fix

101 - 110 of 110 Posts