GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents:

Currently using Gmax Crusader full-face helmets that I'm very happy with. However, with the heat of the summer, I'm looking at getting a modular to alleviate a little of the heat. First question, has anybody used the Gmax 54s modulars and what is your opinion? They seem to get excellent reviews from Jafrum, revzilla, etc. and as stated I'm happy with the build and fit of their Crusader full-face.

Second question, any recommendations for a different modular in the under $200 category? Fit and finish? Would love a Neotec but just can't afford two right now.

Third question, If any of you folks have a modular helmet in a size medium for my young man, an xl or 2xl for me, preferably in white or silver or combination of that you may be interested in selling, send me a PM and let me know.

Thanks,

Lou

·
Registered
810 Posts
How will a modular helmet alleviate the heat?

You are aware that "most" modular helmets aren't designed to be ridden with while open, correct (there are a few that are, the GM, from what I can tell isn't one of them)?

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
i have had 2 shark helmets, they can be ridden with the chin bar up out of the way. revzilla usually has them for around $250, they usually go on sale at the end of the year.

In extreme heat, you dont want your face in the blast furnace so the chin bar needs to be closed.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Foe me, it's what Modular helmet fits correctly first. Helmet on, feel of the padding, then most important, put my chin on my chest and see if the helmet will roll forward off my head.
After that... if the brand that stays on my head passes this test, I have one to go with. Everyones mellon is different!

corventure Dave

·
Registered
188 Posts
How will a modular helmet alleviate the heat?

You are aware that "most" modular helmets aren't designed to be ridden with while open, correct (there are a few that are, the GM, from what I can tell isn't one of them)?
Agreed...It's like popping a parachute on your head. I made that mistake only once to wipe something off of my face.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clarification

Looks like I need to clarify my original post because I guess I wasn't clear enough. When I said I was looking to alleviate a little heat I was referring to at red light and at quick stops. Not while I was riding. I realize the sheild would act as a wind sail.

·
Registered
63 Posts
To answer the original question, we use them (gms54) and for the money, I like it. I'm running a sena BT in them both. They cool well enough, they are loud, as are most modulars. They fit well for my shaped head. $112 can't beat the price!

·
Banned
792 Posts
Looks like I need to clarify my original post because I guess I wasn't clear enough. When I said I was looking to alleviate a little heat I was referring to at red light and at quick stops. Not while I was riding. I realize the sheild would act as a wind sail.
I knew what you meant and I have the Neotec and love it but like you said....so any decent comfortable helmet is going to be good for the noggin.

·
Registered
367 Posts
As a matter of fact, I ordered a Gmax 54S after someone on here recommended it and I watched the video that was provided. It just arrived yesterday, and I used it for the first time today. I admit, that I was a little nervous about ordering one on line and not trying it on first. But it all worked out in the end, because the helmet fits perfectly and I absolutely love all the features. I couldn't be happier with it. The first thing I noticed is that my vision is totally unobstructed while wearing it. With my previous helmet, I could see the sides of the helmet in my peripheral vision. Being able to raise the chin bar up out of the way in stopped traffic or red lights will be nice. That would be especially handy for anybody that wears glasses. You can put your helmet on and take it off without removing your glasses first. The built in retractable sun visor is a nice feature. That may be old news for most of you, but I've never had a helmet with that before. Plenty of vents all over to help keep you cool. And the best thing is the price....$125. Ordered it on the evening of June 18 and received it the afternoon of June 19.......and shipping was free. I'm very pleased with it and the company. http://www.compacc.com/p/gmax-gm54-helmets-modular-street-solids

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I have a nearly new HJC SyMax II in the garage I've been meaning for years to get around to selling. My wife still has hers and likes it; for me, comfy at first, but on long rides my long oval head didn't like it. I think it is an XL and it is some kind of dark silver or grey. Less than 20 hours of use on it.

Thanks for the prompt to de-clutter. I'll check the size (don't think it is XXL, but not sure) and exact color name when I get home, and finally move forward on selling it.

Take a look at the model and let me know if you'd be interested.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the new model Bell EVO. A good looking helmet at a good price point ($200). The new model was changed to reduce wind noise, common in some modulars I hear (this is my first modular). Anyway, I don't have enough miles to give a long term review, but fit and finish is good. Comfy on my head, snug per the fitting chart but no pressure spots. I have a pretty standard head shape I guess.

One big big selling point for me was that this helmet had an integrated flip down tinted shield, AND there was a transition shield available for about $100 extra. I LOVE the transition between clear to dark smoke. No need to change shields. I've never liked the clear shields on my full face helmets. The sun coming thru felt like I had my head in an oven. But a permanently dark smoke shield like I have in my sig line on my Oneals, does make the interior much cooler,,, it is a pain after dark, as I'd have to flip up and use clear glasses for protection. I like the hassle free transition shield, and the flip down is now only needed when the sun hits the horizon and the extra bit of tint is needed.
Pic and revzilla review link below

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts