GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are looking into buying new modular helmets. Preferably around the $200 range.
We’ve looked at several and have heard that HJC makes the best out there in our price range.
Just curious what the consensus is on here. What you guys like and don’t like and if anyone has experience with HJC brand.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have an HJC open face that has served me well but have not tried their modular. I have a Shoei neotech that is a great helmet but they are very pricey. I recently bought a Bell SRT modular that has all the features of the neotech at a comparable price to the HJC. Bell has been making helmets for a very long time and is a great helmet in “the middle of the road” price range. It all depends on your head shape and what fits you best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Be aware that HJC has many Modular models. I would recommend the SY-MAX, it has a Fiberglass Shell VS Polycarbonate and is much quieter than the inexpensive CL-MAX and IS-MAX models and has many more features such as removable liner and better ventilation.

Just my .02

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
There will never be a consensus, different fits, features, shapes, and different beliefs. If it fits properly and have DOT certification, you're probably good. Others will probably have differing opinions, but it seems that it bothers a few here if they are discussed. I will vouch that HJC do make a very good helmet, but the most important thing is that it fit your head.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Completely agree with Bullet Bob. Not every couple have the same shaped head. Each brand of helmet seems to fit a little different. I have a oblong shapped head and several brands do not fit me and my wife is more round. I can use the Nolan and HJC helmets and my wife does well with GMAX helmets. Trying them on at a WingDing or other large rallies that have a lot of vendors. You should be able to get 2 nice modular helmets for $200 each without comm gear. Expensive to buy the wrong helmet and tough to resell.
Dan

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
HJC makes a very good helmet for the price. I use the IS Max II and it works well. There are pros and cons to everything, and this is no different. The IS Max is heavy, about 3+ lbs, but is solid, being one of the few that proved to remain closed and locked during an impact. If you're looking at installing headsets in it, thin speakers are better. If you have thicker speakers, you'll need to trim out the foam on the sides just a bit. Replacing face shields is easy, requiring no tools, and the shield has pin locks so you can add a fog proof lens. The vents on the top and jaw piece work pretty well. Another pro, the pads are all removeable, so cleaning them is easy. Well, there's my input, good luck.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I’m an Arai user and Arai don’t make modular helmets.
But I have tried on several different brands of modular helmets and the Bell modular helmets seem to fit me very well.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Consider very carefully what features you want and what might irritate you over time. I've got 5 modular helmets from pretty cheap (Under $100) to pretty expensive and my preference is my cheap one. Some are noisey, some reflect badly from the inside of the visor, some drip water in, some won't crack open a little for ventilation etc., etc.

My latest addition is a Nolan, super comfortable and the best fit but so noisy, drippy, not easy to use the sun visor, and internally reflective, it's horrible to ride in.

I wouldn't buy a HJC, very poor impact rating and catches which unlatch in an impact... read here; https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?manufacturer=HJC&model=All&type=3

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Be aware that HJC has many Modular models. I would recommend the SY-MAX, it has a Fiberglass Shell VS Polycarbonate and is much quieter than the inexpensive CL-MAX and IS-MAX models and has many more features such as removable liner and better ventilation.

Just my .02
HJC discontinued the SY-Max helmet a couple of years ago. You still might be able to find one discounted as new old stock.

The current HJC mid-price modular helmets are the IS-MAX and CL-Max in second and third generation offerings. The last helmet I bought my wife was a CL-Max III. It has better ventilation compared to the IS-Max. Both have the drop-down sun visor which is a very nice feature. I have a Shoei fit head and my wife likes the HJC. Fit is everything.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Consensus? On here?!? Lotsa luck.
I have a N90S Nolan and it's fine. Love the internal flip down sun screen. Cracks open about 1 cm at the lower edge of the visor to chin area which is essential b/c the only time the ventilation seems to work is when it is 40 or below. LOL. I've been told the helmet should fit tight around your cheeks, FWIW. I tried on an $800 Schueberth and lucky, it didn't feel right. The $600 Schoei was ok but tight. I did one have a full face HJC and thought it was very adequate quality; couldn't say about their modular types however.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I love the Nolan 104 Modular helmet. Discontinued now but it had a very tall shield opening that came down to my mouth allowing me to drink from my Butler cup without having to open the Modular part of the helmet. Even started drinking coffee from a straw. I’ve even bought an extra helmet to use for when mine wears out.
Dan

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
Hey Sam
Like Bob said Iron Pony is good and sometimes you can find clearance helmets for a fraction of the price.

SIERRA ELECTRONICS In Troy Ohio is excellent too. Last time I checked they were 20 to 40 dollars cheaper per helmet. If you were paying regular price at Iron Pony. Back in 2003 when I bought my first 1800 I was going to buy at Iron Pony and I asked about the headsets. I asked how long they would warranty it. The guy said "You see the door where you came in?" I said yes. He said "When you go through that door it is between you and the manufacturer. " That's why I started buying all my helmets at SIERRA ELECTRONICS. They give you a two year warranty from them. You can also have them install the headset there.

https://www.sierra-mc.com/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sena makes the 10u (replacement cheekpads that contain the speakers and electronics) for the HJC IS-Max (and others).

I bought the helmet for what it was before I looked for communication - was very happy to find a built-in system that works so well with my first modular.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I love the Nolan 104 Modular helmet. Discontinued now but it had a very tall shield opening that came down to my mouth allowing me to drink from my Butler cup without having to open the Modular part of the helmet. Even started drinking coffee from a straw. I’ve even bought an extra helmet to use for when mine wears out.
Dan
That's what I have, best fitting helmet I've ever had. Love the features, and the N-com.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wore a HJC sy-max for a long time. Replaced it with a Shoei neotec. The HJC suited me better than the Shoei and for a lot less money. I did crash test the HJC. It worked well.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Wife and I have used the HJC IS-MAX-BT helmets for years snowmobiling and motorcycling and ATVing, with the Sena SMH-10 headsets.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you have a Cycle Gear near you, go and visit. They have many different helmets available for you to try on. Find the ones that fit both you and your wife. Walk around the store for a while wearing the helmet to make sure that it will be comfortable. Should be a bit tight around the cheeks and will break in. Just because you tried them on in the store doesn't mean that you have to buy it from them. Check on line and might find a better price from Iron Pony or Revzilla.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts