GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on installing a modulating brake light on my Wing. Which is the best?? I dislike cutting into wiring, so would prefer a plug in type, Wing compatable.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
i have BACK OFF modulator. It has to be wired in. i had it done so the box is under the seat. it was the easiest way to do it. Do not ask me how it was installed, i had a cycle shop do it for me. Everyone that has seen it is impressed with it and say you can certainly see it and it grabs your attention.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i have BACK OFF modulator. It has to be wired in. i had it done so the box is under the seat. it was the easiest way to do it. Do not ask me how it was installed, i had a cycle shop do it for me. Everyone that has seen it is impressed with it and say you can certainly see it and it grabs your attention.
can these be turned off?a switch maybe?

·
Registered
507 Posts
If I may also suggest if you want a brake light that will grab peaples attention go to this website www.swps.com and look for the light that says LIN 3 it cost $60. And it is an exact fit where the reflector is at on the rear fender. This puppy will grab your eyes long before anything else. It's the same model that the cop cars uses or for $90. You can get the Mack daddy of them all. It's an easy install a couple of splices and it's done.
I have one on mine and get alot of compliments and holly cow that thing is bright. Just a thought. Sorry for being off your topic.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I have wired three Back Off units into three different bikes. Pretty easy to do once you find the wire that is live when the brake level is pressed. I struggled on the Goldwing. I ended up wiring the spoiler and the two internal lights on that trunk.

It would be easy to put a switch inline so you could have the stobe effect or just a normal brake light. I've thought about doing this on my Aprilia as we ride pretty aggressively in a group and I tend to trail brake into a corner, modulating my braking as necessary. I've asked the guys following if the flashing brake light is annoying. Nobody has said yes, but I've followed someone with a similar setup and I prefer to see a solid brake light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eisGxneuOAI

·
Registered
427 Posts
Order the one from Hal. It blinks fast then slow down to a solid. It was very easy to install.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'll second the Comagination products. I've used them before and they are bombproof. I wired in the brake lights myself (there are no plug and play brake light modulators that I know of). It was relatively easy and straight forward, however, as with any wiring you really need some experience. I soldered and shrink wrapped all my connections. The headlight modulator IS plug and play, however, because I didn't want to dismantle the bike to get to the high beams I had the local Honda dealer do it-they charged 1 hour labor.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I installed the Kisan TailBlazer (I think it's called). I have NO idea if it's "the best" but as I recall, the install was straight forward and it's worked for 6 years / about 75,000 miles. And I've not been rear ended...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had the 'Backoff' on the trunk lights for about a year. The running lights were working but the brake lights stopped coming on. So I removed the 'Backoff', now I have brake lights again on my 2006 that has all four lights that come on on the trunk.........:roll::roll::roll:

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I have had a Back-Off installed on my '95 PC800 for 15 years and still works just fine. Oh, and I aint never been rear ended either! :thumbup:

·
Registered
272 Posts
As with anything else, you will get a variety of healthy opinions which can help in your decision making process. For me, I am sold on Kriss products. I have used Kriss products (Headlight, brake & blinker, and spoiler) on all my bikes. http://www.kriss.com./ These units are “bullet proof” and have over 25+ years of production.
In addition, I am not aware of any brake modulator units that just plug-n-play, most have to be tapped, spliced, or soldered.

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Wig-Wag

I use the Signal Dynamics Back-Off Wig-Wag modulator, very visible and fairly easy to install. Here's a link on how to do it on a Wing, and I've had no problems with it.

http://www.floydweb.com/images/goldwing/brakemod/brakemod.html

Initially I set mine to flash and then go steady, later changed it to pulse every few seconds. Made a difference for when your at a light for a bit and traffic is coming up on you.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I'll second the Comagination products. I've used them before and they are bombproof.

I second that. I have the IBF9 version.
It's about the size of a quarter, and even now, I can't find it. :eek:4:

But,I see it still working.:yes1:

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use the Signal Dynamics Back-Off Wig-Wag modulator, very visible and fairly easy to install. Here's a link on how to do it on a Wing, and I've had no problems with it.

http://www.floydweb.com/images/goldwing/brakemod/brakemod.html

Initially I set mine to flash and then go steady, later changed it to pulse every few seconds. Made a difference for when your at a light for a bit and traffic is coming up on you.
Nice write up, Chief. However, it looks too complicated for my tiny brain!!:oops:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Kury just intorduced this

Part # 908

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
If I may also suggest if you want a brake light that will grab peaples attention go to this website www.swps.com and look for the light that says LIN 3 it cost $60. And it is an exact fit where the reflector is at on the rear fender. This puppy will grab your eyes long before anything else. It's the same model that the cop cars uses or for $90. You can get the Mack daddy of them all. It's an easy install a couple of splices and it's done.
I have one on mine and get alot of compliments and holly cow that thing is bright. Just a thought. Sorry for being off your topic.
Am wondering if the LIN 3 can be tied into the backoff modulator?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts