GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knowing the most dangerous situation for a rider is someone cutting across the rider at an intersection. So it makes sense to me to have a modulator. Actually I wondered if a modulator could be installed on the fog lights. that would certainly help improve visibility. is any of this possible?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Entirely possible.
I would however check with local laws about putting one on the fog lights.
Not sure of that one. I think not. The modulator law is approved for the headlight. Not sure of the rest.

Some will be along to go into fits and tell you you should sell your bike if you have to use a modulator to be seen. Some will foam at the mouth when they see flashing lights. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Legally no, headlights only either high or low beam. I prefer mine on the high beam so I can use the dimmer switch to use them with discretion.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Possible but, FYI, not legal. The FMVSS and CMVSS (Federal and Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards only permits a modulator on headlamp bulbs.
Also please note, it states EITHER the upper or lower beam, not both as some have been wiring the modulators.
Headlight Modulator Federal Law
S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system

S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity provided that:

(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 plus-or-minus 40 cycles per minute.
(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall not be less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 degrees Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. This light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.
(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all of the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.
(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.
S7.9.4.2

(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.
(b) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Yes, but

Yes a modulator can be physically installed on the fog lights. It is not a straight plug & play as the fog light bulbs are a different pin arrangement, but easily overcome with a jumper.

The question would be why? You lose a lot of the effectiveness of using a modulator on your high beams by shifting it to the lower position and dimmer light of your fog lights. And if you use the stock 35W Honda lights, your fog lights really aren't that bright.

I have the 50W fog lights with a fluorescent yellow lens, they are noticeable and the color contrast makes the bike more visible. Couple that with a high beam modulator and HID low beams the bike is visible.

Note of Caution - you cannot legally put modulators on both the high beams and your fog lights. For one thing, a single modulator system cannot handle the power draw of all four lights. If you use two separate systems, the modulation will not be in sync and you are now outside of the FMV Code and you will appear to be trying to impersonate an emergency vehicle. You will gain the unwanted attention of a LEO. On the positive side, your bike will be visible ;).

Additionally, modulators are legal for use on the headlights only - see below excerpt from the FMV Code:
Subpart B--Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108;

Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.
S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.
S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:
(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 <plus-minus> 40 cycles per minute.
(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.

EDIT: Dang I'm a slow typer. Post my response and see three others beat me with pretty much the same information. You guys are fast :bow:

·
Registered
19,227 Posts
what they say:tongue:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Geez, I think he oughta know by now...what with all the repetitive info.:shrug:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
You would think. I thought I was gonna be first. By the time I got the info copied and mine done, there were others already posted:thumbup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
High Beam only

With them on the high beam, you have control. If I start to approach someone from behind, I flip it off. I have had folks try and pull off thinking that I'm some emergency vehicle - looked dangerous. I believe one state - Washington? - has stipulated that it is high beam only. You wouldn'r want to modulate your low beam and have the unit fail!!

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
With them on the high beam, you have control. If I start to approach someone from behind, I flip it off. I have had folks try and pull off thinking that I'm some emergency vehicle - looked dangerous. I believe one state - Washington? - has stipulated that it is high beam only. You wouldn'r want to modulate your low beam and have the unit fail!!
Tis true... Washington Administrative Code.......

WAC 204-78-040 Location of light modulator.
(1) Electrical. The modulator shall be inserted in the high beam headlight circuit on motorcycles between the high beam hand switch and high beam filament in the lamp.
(2) Physical. The modulator shall be located on a frame bar or other substantial structure number, easily accessible to the operator for quick access to a bypass switch. The device should be air cooled, if necessary.
(3) Safety redundancy. The low beam headlight circuit should be unaltered and used as backup in case of modulator malfunction.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
My flasher that I use to flash people with works on both high and low beam.

It also has several intensity levels and is also hooked to the horn so even if you have it off and use the horn it also modulates the high beam for the duration of the horn use.

As for those that are brain dead and pull off the road, that is what the power and torque of the 1800 is for, just downshift and leave them sit back there.

If they do not know what a motorcycle and a modulator is by now, time they learned.

Lots of bikes have them now, I even see the sport bikes running them as of late.

Sorry, no sympathy from me for most drivers. I am running plumbing call tonight, I go out for a couple hours and then come home and wait for the next call, an I have seen at least four accidents so far just tonight. Had cars come up and around my right side and then dart in front and hit the brakes to make that exit . Had a van come across the center line at me , but I saw his front wheels coming across, no big deal, but I am on the road a lot and have not one bit of sympathy for them.

But I can assure you I watch them well.

Done good so far, I have over 200 miles a day for over 30 years in a service vehicle, that is a lot of miles and I have never had an accident. Many close calls, and have had them hit the service truck when it was parked at a gas pump and I was inside the store. Guy hit the big tow hitch and it bounced his little chevy citation back about five feet and there was plastic car all over the parking area.

Nope, no sympathy for them . The goal is to be seen. Combine that with some real good defensive riding and you have an even chance.

A modulator helps, but is not a cure all. I have had them look right at me and pull right out in front of me. And I have had them see me and stop.

I have even had them develop road rage and try to run me off the road one time .

Been running a modulator for seven years now.

·
IronMan
17,625 Posts
Best $100 i spent saved my azz a couple times had people pull up next to me n say "hey you got your flashers on " i just ask if they see me then i tell them 90 % of mc car accuidents car drivers says didnt see um solves that problem - be safe

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
So what modulator is everyone using? I have the Kisan on my '01 model and have recently put one on a '09 and it was a real bitch to get to the left high beam. Lots of harness up there and that aluminum brace is in the way also.
So what's the secret to getting to that light?
Buckskin

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Okay, I am a nay-sayer, although I don't foam at the mouth over it. I think modulators just piss off other drivers because I find them very irritating and at the least, very annoying. I have not had any accidents from drivers pulling out in front of me and few instances of a near miss, and I have never had a headlight modulator installed on any of my bikes. Either I am very lucky over my 48 years of riding motorcycles or I pay attention and use all my MSF instructor experience to avoid it happening in the first place.

I am more concerned over a collision with a deer than a cage driver pulling out in front of me. Now that I have said that, I am sure I will be proven wrong with copious stories of those who have had accidents involving other vehicles pulling out in front of them, and I know that accident reports will bear out that those are the most common source of two vehicle collisions. Oh well. One thing about opions are that everyone has one. Happy trails and do what you want.

O

·
0 Posts
Modulator

I had the kisen installed by Wingstuff before I even picked up the bike from them. I like it and use it selectively by high-beam.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Okay, I am a nay-sayer, although I don't foam at the mouth over it. I think modulators just piss off other drivers because I find them very irritating and at the least, very annoying. I have not had any accidents from drivers pulling out in front of me and few instances of a near miss, and I have never had a headlight modulator installed on any of my bikes. Either I am very lucky over my 48 years of riding motorcycles or I pay attention and use all my MSF instructor experience to avoid it happening in the first place.

I am more concerned over a collision with a deer than a cage driver pulling out in front of me. Now that I have said that, I am sure I will be proven wrong with copious stories of those who have had accidents involving other vehicles pulling out in front of them, and I know that accident reports will bear out that those are the most common source of two vehicle collisions. Oh well. One thing about opions are that everyone has one. Happy trails and do what you want.
Either I am very lucky over my 48 years of riding motorcycles or I pay attention and use all my MSF instructor experience to avoid it happening in the first place.

Mark,
You are indeed very lucky... I agree with Kit Carson.
Before I installed my modulator (s) I have had people look right at me, wait til I get within a stones throw and pull out to cut me off.
Mark, I can't prove you wrong and don't want to convince you to use one. I can say that I have had many situations where the modulator woke up the cage driver.

For those cage drivers that can't accept the flashing light as a safety device, well that is unfortunate. My safety is clearly more important to me than their offended
sensibilities.

RJ

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
for all the i dont care if it pisses off folks

i guess the teenage girl dont care if you dont want her texting while driving
i guess the truck driver dont care if you dont like him running side by side for miles with another truck
i guess the tailgater dont care if you dont want him there
i guess the left lane blocker dont care that he is slowing folks down
i guess the drunk driver dont care that he is weaving down the road

ok i take it back you folks do fit right in,lol

·
Registered
621 Posts
OK I gota ask, how many of you (that will admit it) that run modulators have had folks waiting to turn left, thought you were 'flashing' them to go?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts