GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two sets of molded ear plugs from two different vendors. One set I used last year. The other set has not been used much. I tried them both out this week. After maybe 15-30 minutes they start to feel pretty uncomfortable. Even painful after awhile. Both sets have the same discomfort, so I don't think it's a situation where they were made incorrectly. Is this just the nature of the beast? Do they, or my ears, have to go through a break-in period? TIA.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Some of those foam ear plugs do the same to my ears.. like you siad, painfull at times..

There is a WAX ear plug that is pressed in the ear, not into the ear tunnel.. The wax ear plugs come in a case of about 16 ear plugs. They are in a round shape, and you place them in your ears, and carefully push the wax side to side (not so much puching inward) and they spread out to cover the opening of ear channel. You do NOT put the wax into the ear channel...dont do that...

I find thee wax ear plugs a whole lot more comfortable since there is no pressure on the inner ear channel.. :thumbup:

check this link out:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mountainside-medical.com/product_images/x/025/macks-ear-plugs-snore1__86729_thumb.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mountainside-medical.com/categories/Ear-Products/&usg=__PS4-FO-_ev_FT6pybm9ZIVw5piE=&h=120&w=120&sz=7&hl=en&start=17&zoom=1&tbnid=AxZJd4Qh2xsUWM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=88&ei=OCJcTqjaJomvsQKG6e0g&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwax%2Bear%2Bplugs%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Paul, sometimes it is the patient and sometimes it is the product. The talent of folks taking ear impressions varies greatly and just about any ear mould lab can tell you that the percentage of lousy impressions they recieve is shameful. Go to a long experienced Audiologist for your best chance of success. Although I take excellent ear mould impressions and dispense a great many custom products, I prefer foam ear plugs for hearing protection and often use stock flanged ear bud cuffs for inserts.

prs

·
Registered
516 Posts
PaulC...
I got BigEars and they recommend to start wear them for 15mins, then 30mins, strech it out to an hour and so forth. I did that and now comfortable.. Also a product called Oto-Ease also helps. It's a glycerine based product. Kinda like K-Y jelly for your ears!
Mike

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PaulC...
I got BigEars and they recommend to start wear them for 15mins, then 30mins, strech it out to an hour and so forth. I did that and now comfortable.. Also a product called Oto-Ease also helps. It's a glycerine based product. Kinda like K-Y jelly for your ears!
Mike
One of the sets is from Big Ears, so maybe I just need to suck it up. If I could start this all over again I'd probably go for the wax or the foam. But I'm far enough into it that I'd like to see if I can make it work. Plus, one of the sets of ear plugs has little speakers in them and plugs into the audio system The sound really is quite nice. I can set the volume from 1-4, even at highway speeds. And I assume I'll be able to hear a whole lot better on the CB at highway speeds too.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I have a nice set that I use for work, wouldn't put them in under a helmet on a bet though.
The softest foam possible works well. It still depends on exactly how the lower curtain falls around your head. Very comfortable plugs hurt sometimes. I lucked in to a set that are washable, long lasting and in the end disposable. they have to be in properly though and are only 26db reduction. They muffle the trash and the usefull stuff to hear is still very much there. http://www.earplugstore.com/qureearpln26.html
pretty good and all day wearable for us.

Happy hunting

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Me too ... I bought a set of custom moulded plugs from an audiologist and wear them for lawn mowing and chain sawing ... for that they work great but get VERY painful worn inside my helmet ... seems there is not enough space in my Nolan 103 around the ears ...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Paul I had a set with speakers made a couple years ago so I could listen to mp3s on my Zumo while riding my ST 1300. I never did get used to them. After a lot of use they did take longer to bring on the pain but they always did.

Now that I have the Wing I will probably never use them again and just count it as a part of the price of owning the ST.

I hope you have better luck with yours,

Pete.

·
Registered
557 Posts
the other thing you can do. t is go to a toy store and buy Silly Putty it works great for ear plugs. My sones ear surgeon recommend this when he had tubes in to keep the water out

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Universal plugs will just take some getting used to. I use Musicians style earplugs, and when I first started wearing them, 15-30 minutes was about all I could do. Although I wear them a lot, I don't put them in for very short rides, but now after wearing them on longer rides, I can go over an hour before some pain starts. I stop, take them out for a few minutes and I am good for another hour.

Tried the foam plugs, but they kill all the high frequencies. I like to listen to my tunes and CB, and the musicians (sometimes called motorcycle plugs, but they are exactly the same) plugs give great sound, and clearer CB. I even can have conversations with them in, just have to be careful not to yell!

I get my plugs here:

http://www.earplugstore.com/er-20-blister.html

they have other styles, but these really work for me.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
If the custom plugs touch any part of the helmet they will start to hurt in short order. I needed to recess my helmet speakers slightly to eliminate the pressure on the plugs now all is well. I can not feel the plugs at all even at the end of 14 hours riding. Others might not be so lucky depending on how tight the helmet or speakers fit the rider.

I use DGPlugz.

Foam plugs would irritate my ears after a couple of long days.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I have two sets of molded ear plugs from two different vendors. One set I used last year. The other set has not been used much. I tried them both out this week. After maybe 15-30 minutes they start to feel pretty uncomfortable. Even painful after awhile. Both sets have the same discomfort, so I don't think it's a situation where they were made incorrectly. Is this just the nature of the beast? Do they, or my ears, have to go through a break-in period? TIA.
Do your ears hurt with the plugs in and you are NOT wearing the helmet?

As some have suggested, it may be an issue with the helmet's ear pockets not being large enough. It could also be that the plugs stick out to far from the ear and contact the helmet liner.

I've had 4 sets of custom molded plugs made from 2 different vendors (one set I did the mold impression myself) and my wife has had 3 sets from 2 different vendors (again one set we made the impressons ourselves) and all were perfectly comfortable for both of us. Some sealed better than others. My set from Big Ears were the poorest of the sets for fitment but they were not uncomfortable. They just wouldn't seal out the noise completely all the time.

I thought I had pretty sensitive ears because I couldn't wear the foam or "generic" in-ear plugs for more than 30 minutes before my ears began to hurt. I could wear the molded plugs all day the first day.

Perhaps you have really sensitive ears and you just need to "break in" your ears to the plugs as suggested? :shrug: An experienced audiologist sounds like a good place to look for answers though.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Had a pair made at the Laughlin River Run in 2000. Remember that when the tech injected the material, it HURT...felt like he was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. They do function well in reducing the sound, but the irritation makes for short term use...with or without helmet.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
There was no pain at all when DG did my plugs at Daytona this spring.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank everybody for your suggestions. I persisted in wearing the earplugs, and they are feeling better and better every time. And Mike, thanks for the Oto-Ease suggestion. Picked up a bottle. Only tried it once, but combined with my getting used to the earplugs it felt pretty good. Plus, the audiologist at the Oto-Ease retailer took a look at my ears. She noticed that when I had the earplugs inserted, if I gave the plugs a slight twist they set into the ear better.

So a combination of getting used to the plugs, Oto-Ease, and inserting them properly have all combined to make them starting to feel more and more comfortable. Thanks again for your help.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everybody

Just to finish off this thread on a happy note, as I mentioned a couple of weeks ago I've been trying your suggestions. I persisted with the ear plugs. And I've used Oto-Ease. I can now wear my earplugs all day with minimal discomfort. Also, as I posted in another thread, there was a loud static in the earplug speakers whenever I had the cruise on. LarryM suggested trying a Radio Shack in-line volume controller. It masks the static completely. And for less than $10.:excited:

I'm doing a lot of 2,000-3,000 week-long rides for work these days :biker:, and I am one happy camper!:biggrin: Thanks for your suggestions. :thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts