·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
Molly 60 I can no longer get what’s the new lube called for the splines
Actually, according to Honda's Service Manual, Honda's Molly 60 is not used any where on a 5th gen. Below is what Honda says to use. I use MolyKote BR-2 Plus because when I checked with Mitsubishi, they had no idea what I was talking about.

"Use molybdenum disulfide grease (containing more than 3% molybdenum disulfide, NLGI #2 or equivalent).
Example: Molykote® BR-2 Plus manufactured by Dow Corning, U.S.A. Multi-purpose M-2 manufactured by Mitsubishi Oil, Japan"

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I recently removed the rear wheel from our nearly new shaft-driven Moto Guzzi - and the splines were dry. And rusty. No grease from the factory. Hmmmmmm.

A brass brush cleaned it up nicely and then a good coating from this antique tube of Honda Moly 60.

BUT - In my mind, the spline lube is to protect against corrosion, so that the wheel may be easily removed and replaced. It's not a pleasant task to use a large rubber hammer and beat the crap out of a rear wheel, trying to separate it from the hub.

I mean, that joint is immobile, once the wheel is mounted, right ? So, what we want is some manner of persistent lubrication that will enable us to separate the rear wheel from the hub - possibly years and years later. Yes?

So, why are we using a heavy moly grease - other than Honda originally recommended it ?

A couple of our "other" bike shop manuals recommend a generic lithium-based NGLI-2 with 3% moly.
I actually have that very grease in my grease gun.
:smile2::smile2::smile2:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
The best driveline spline grease

Molly 60 I can no longer get what’s the new lube called for the splines
The Molly 60 Paste by Honda was used on the wheel hub splines mostly on the rear wheel hub on the VTX bike series. The VTX series is history and is probably why the Molly 60 Paste is tough to find. The tube uses listed were misleading. It was great to keep the grease from flying off as the wheel rotated but not so good for lubricating the driveline splines. On the driveline splines it dries up leaving a silver looking powder. The product Greg mentioned from DOW is the best and won't dry out. The DOW grease is recommended by Honda and I have a container of it if I ever have to replace my final drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts