GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the issue. We only have a couple riders who have the SENA wireless system. Everyone else has the standard GL1800 Honda com and CB units.
I - we don't want to spend the bucks to convert to SENA just to communicate with these two others. Our standard systems work just fine.

So what's a good affordable way to just monitor the SENA riders transmissions when he's leading a group? Would be nice to know where he's going and making stops on a long trip without relying on hand signals or surprise sudden stops and turns!

Is there a SENA gizmo I can plug into my AUX to just receive his transmissions? I know he can get a CB and Freewire. And I don't want to go to the expense of the Freewire and a headset that has to be paired, charged and also get another one for my passenger.
Any advice out there?

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
If you just want to monitor and you are willing to commit your bike system to its AUX input for this use, any Sena unit that has the audio out for earbuds (I know 20S and 30K do) will give you a jack you can feed the audio from and into your bike. Just put the Sena in your left pocket and plug the aux input into it. Note the jack is in the base unit (the part that usually stays on the helmet), not the little removable brain unit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You might want to take a look at this from ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS. This would require pairing to a sena unit in the group.

I too, am looking for a solution to this issue as I ride with people who now going to Bluetooth on their new Goldwing and not using CB anymore because of the high price to have one installed.

If this should work out, I might just invest in it also.

Dennie

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
You might want to take a look at this from ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS. This would require pairing to a sena unit in the group.

I too, am looking for a solution to this issue as I ride with people who now going to Bluetooth on their new Goldwing and not using CB anymore because of the high price to have one installed.

If this should work out, I might just invest in it also.

Dennie
Call them before you get seduced by that attractively low price. I suspect that's not going to do it. It seems to be set up to receive the Bluetooth media streaming profile (A2DP). It probably does nothing for the intercom profile or headset profile which is how you need to connect to the pool of headsets you want to listen to. The Sena does not stream out; at least I could not make it when I tried to use it to pair to a bluetooth speaker to use like a PA.

So many flavors of Bluetooth. One size does not fit all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bluetooth_profiles

·
Registered
835 Posts
Dave, please don't take this as a wiseguy answer, BUT....

If there are only 2 guys using Sena in a much bigger group of riders, why should the larger number of riders have to spend the money to accommodate only 2 riders? That's backwards.

First of all, neither of those 2 riders should ever be leading a group if they don't have comm connectivity to the rest of the group. They need to change, not the rest of you. And THAT is m main problem with all this so-called Bluetooth Technology. It isn't at the stage yet to be TRULY universal. Many Poo-Poo the "outdated" CB technology, but it still can't be beat for universality in the Comm World. You group is an excellent example.
Those two gus could get a small handheld CB and mount it to their handlebars for use when they ride with the BIG GROUP. That would be an inexpensive way for them to accommodate the rest of the group.

Of course this is my opinion only and many will disagree I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave, please don't take this as a wiseguy answer, BUT....

If there are only 2 guys using Sena in a much bigger group of riders, why should the larger number of riders have to spend the money to accommodate only 2 riders? That's backwards.

First of all, neither of those 2 riders should ever be leading a group if they don't have comm connectivity to the rest of the group. They need to change, not the rest of you. And THAT is m main problem with all this so-called Bluetooth Technology. It isn't at the stage yet to be TRULY universal. Many Poo-Poo the "outdated" CB technology, but it still can't be beat for universality in the Comm World. You group is an excellent example.
Those two gus could get a small handheld CB and mount it to their handlebars for use when they ride with the BIG GROUP. That would be an inexpensive way for them to accommodate the rest of the group.

Of course this is my opinion only and many will disagree I'm sure.

Actually GOV5, I am completely in agreement with you. The biggest issue I see with these Bluetooth systems is the one installing it has to invest a bunch more $$ for something like the Freewire, or everyone with the standard systems, has to spend a bundle more just to communicate with everyone.
I see a bigger split in communication between riders, kind of like when some put the Chatter box on their helmets. I myself am completely happy with the wired system. Then again I'm a bit of a dinosaur !
Perhaps we should just all install loud exhaust systems and not worry about verbal communication! :22yikes: Talk about stepping back!:wink2:
We'll see how long the new systems take to become standard. It won't happen overnight. I'm thinking at least 10 years or so.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
As with others I would tend to agree that the easiest solution would be for the fellows with the Sena systems to match the rest of the group. A fairly inexpensive option (which another fellow on this forum MountainRider turned me on to) for them would be the Midland 75-822 Portable CB. New they're about $90.00-$100.00. Used they seem to run about $80.00. So there's not much incentive to buy used IMHO. Anyhow, they can be configured all sorts of ways that work well on a motorcycle. If you spring for a Throat Mike/Ear Bud set-up (~$7.00-$10.00) it works quite well. You can use regular batteries, but it comes with a rechargeable battery pack -or- it can be plugged into a cigarette lighter power port and doesn't need batteries at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
Actually GOV5, I am completely in agreement with you. The biggest issue I see with these Bluetooth systems is the one installing it has to invest a bunch more $$ for something like the Freewire, or everyone with the standard systems, has to spend a bundle more just to communicate with everyone.
I see a bigger split in communication between riders, kind of like when some put the Chatter box on their helmets. I myself am completely happy with the wired system. Then again I'm a bit of a dinosaur !
Perhaps we should just all install loud exhaust systems and not worry about verbal communication! :22yikes: Talk about stepping back!:wink2:
We'll see how long the new systems take to become standard. It won't happen overnight. I'm thinking at least 10 years or so.

Corventure Dave
Well if you are a dinosaur, we're BOTH extinct! I don't mind my corded setup on my bike either.

It will talk to anybody on the road with a CB, and there are still many that use them because of their Universality. I haven't seen anything yet that beats the CB for group rides of multiple riders...like more than 2 or4 folks.

Lots of folk get enamored with the so-called 'high tech" solutions and just have to have the so-called "latest and greatest". Well, I'll wait until it really is "the greatest". And it ain't there yet!!! LOL!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts