GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our fellow GL Forum members responded to my urgent cry for help regarding "Monkey Butt." I was intrigued with his idea and jumped on it with both feet. Here is his recommendation:
Purchase a seat cushion from Wal-Mart that has a jell pad inside the perforated cover. The cover zips so installation is a breeze. Perforation allows for air circulation.
Go to a tire store or a hardware store and buy one inner tube that is 4 inches in diameter and one inner tube that is 8 inches in diameter.
Remove the jell pad from the inside of the seat cushion. Place the 8 inch inner tube in the seat cover and then place the 4 inch inner tube inside the 8 inch tube.
Air both tubes a little dab, place the seat on your bike and test the feel. You may have to play with the air pressure until you find just the right fit. BINGO!
Although I haven’t made any significant trip yet, this arrangement feels terrific. I will let you know how my posterior fairs on my trip to Utah and back. I will also be wearing "Under Armor" shorts and textile pants, if I can find them.
By the way, anyone know where I can find the "Textile Pants?" Thanks.
PS: I spent a whopping $35.00 for this seat. The credit for this idea goes to Obi-Wan-Knobi. I am forever in his debt. Thanks, Obi.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
My understanding of "monkey butt" is that it is a reddening or the skin on ones buns and quickly becomes a painful, burning, rash.

I believe that it can be prevented by keeping the butt dry and can be done so by different ways such as air beads or moisture wicking undergarments.

The two inner tubes sound like they would be great if a person has a painful tailbone or hemorrhoids. Let us know how it works out after a day in the saddle.

The most comfortable seat is one that loads the most square inches of posterior over the seat and thus reduce the lbs per square inch supported. Sort of like a snowshoe reduces the lbs per sq. in. supported by snow.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
My understanding of "monkey butt" is that it is a reddening or the skin on ones buns and quickly becomes a painful, burning, rash.

I believe that it can be prevented by keeping the butt dry and can be done so by different ways such as air beads or moisture wicking undergarments.

The two inner tubes sound like they would be great if a person has a painful tailbone or hemorrhoids. Let us know how it works out after a day in the saddle.

The most comfortable seat is one that loads the most square inches of posterior over the seat and thus reduce the lbs per square inch supported. Sort of like a snowshoe reduces the lbs per sq. in. supported by snow.

Agree. I was kind of thinking along the same lines. I recently picked up a roller bead seat and got some different underwear. So far so good. I think the key is air circulation to key dry. I previously thought it was caused by an abrasive action on the seat and butt. For me sheep skin was worthless, maybe worse.

One thing I've noticed is that women don't normally get monkey butt as much as men. My theory is their butts don't sweat. Still learning about this elusive problem.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I used LD underwear with mesh pants on IB. I also applied a little monkey butt powder before leaving. Added 2 wally world gel pads stacked. My butt never did get sore, though my back and neck did a little.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Velour seat by "Hartco". "Under Armor" under wear. Great combo. Also carry the "Monkey Butt" powder. That stuff is awesome. Tom :biker:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Your butt can hurt because the seat does not support your weight as it should. If the weight is not supported across a wide area, but rather is supported by smaller areas, you are gonna get hot spots and it ain't gonna be comfortable after a while. But that, to me, is a separate problem from what I call 'monkey butt'. That is when your sweaty rosca is further irritated by wrinkles in your cotton underwear that is soaked with and is holding all the moisture that collects the longer you ride on a hot day. A rash develops!! The second day it gets worse, and so on each following day. Your butt begins to glow with a red glow that can be seen from the horizon!!

Non cotton, moisture wicking underwear that has no seams or wrinkles from excess material across the area that comes into contact with the seat is the first thing you need to have, especially if you have a vinyl or leather cover on your seat. A cloth seat cover helps a lot. It also helps if the pants you are wearing are loose enough to allow your butt skin to spread out naturally, rather than to hold all that sensitive stuff wadded up into a tight lump. Being willing to stop more often for just five minutes, get off the bike, walk around and let everything relax and regain blood ciruculation also helps.

Powder can be a help, but it's a mess to reapply during a long hot day! I have begun to use a product called Butt Wax. It's easy to apply, it allows hot chafed skin to move against other hot chafed skin and avoid further aggravation annd irritation. It's easy to apply and it washes off your hands easily. It works the best of anything I've used so far to keep down the irritation that inevitably comes when riding long on a hot sweaty day.

There is no substitute for a well fitting, well supporting seat, but wet and soaked cotton underwear with wrinkles and seams underneath too tight clothing is a guaranteed recipe for me to get monkey butt!! Try the Butt Wax and see what you think ... I like it better than the powder!! But give either a chance by choosing betting riding gear!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bag Balm is good as well. Can get it at most agriculture stores.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Steve,

Do you recommend lithium base, or perhaps moly??:bow:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well, I for one, have no doubt that gun grease would also get it done. The residue would probably also soften wind dried and calused hands. Not sure if the environmentalists would approve, since they say that even a drop of motor oil on one's hands is a very bad thing. I guarantee that gun grease would be extremely cheaper than the other stuff ...

Then again, my constant and long standing exposure to oil and gun grease over the past 65 years could be just the thing that has caused me to be as squirrely and incorrigilbe as I am today!!!

·
Registered
687 Posts
My understanding of is that it is a reddening or the skin on ones buns and quickly becomes a painful, burning, rash.

This Corbin seat took care of my "monkey butt" :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Don't you just love it....

when all you proctologists get together! roflmao:joke::thumbup::22yikes:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Rode 690 miles in Texas heat this weekend. Ultimate Seat and LD Comfort shorts made for a fine time. For those interested in my bottom, its fine. Pictures not forth-coming.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Glad to hear it, Comanche! There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that your relief is a significantly wonderful thing ........... glad things worked out well in the end!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Glad to hear it, Comanche! There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that your relief is a significantly wonderful thing ........... glad things worked out well in the end!

Great play on words.

Had major a$$ surgery in June. Went through a hellish recovery period, but did not give that a thought until reading this thread.

Only thing on my mind this weekend was navigating the twisties and not killing my passenger.

I am a very lucky almost 73 year old man.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts