GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past couple of years I've started a thread very much like this one to invite people to come in and enjoy some Arkansas Ozarks Riding. I'm never really sure how it will turn out and really wonder if I might end up riding alone for the three days.

So far it has turned out great! Several people have found the time to attend. Not only do we tear up some Arkansas Roads, we have GREAT time doing it!

So lets do it again!! :thumbup:

If you working folks can get some time off, come on over. And you retired guys, you know the time is there. Just got to move some things around and come to Arkansas. The only requirement is you must be open to having LOTS of FUN!!

Just to explain the origin of the name given to this event, below is a copy and paste from @Donnieontheroad

Hey .... what's a Ride In if you don't have a special name for this event so people can refer to it in some respectful way and reminisce about how great is was later? May I suggest the MRI - Monk's Ride In? Sure ... we've all heard of the SMRI - Smokey Mountain Ride In but I would suggest Bob deserves to have his own Ride In named after his handle. After all ... an MRI does give a Doctor all the good details and in depth information about a patients condition. Bob certainly treats his patients (us poor slobs looking for a great curvy road) the same way. He gives us a detailed look and great experience riding by leading us on some of the best curvy roads in the country every time we show up in Arkansas. Without a doubt after a 3 day exam on those roads with Bob we all feel much better and know exactly what condition our condition is in.

This is a show up and ride event, no other things are planned, no rates organized with the motels, etc. etc.

We will base out of Morrilton, Arkansas which is in West Central part of the state on I-40. We have 3 motels in town including a Super 8, Holiday Inn Express and a Days In. The first two are located at the 108 exit which is closer to where we will meet each morning. If your not able to get accommodations in Morrilton my suggestion would be Russellville where there are several choices of places to stay.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I sure hope I can do this ride again. I had a little mishap back in December totaled a bike and am not 100% yet. Our weather has not been kind to us either. It is snowing now as I type this. I need some seat time. But I am mentally recovering but slowly. My spirited pace will probably not going to be what it has been in the past.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I sure hope I can do this ride again. I had a little mishap back in December totaled a bike and am not 100% yet. Our weather has not been kind to us either. It is snowing now as I type this. I need some seat time. But I am mentally recovering but slowly. My spirited pace will probably not going to be what it has been in the past.

Well I hate to say it but I know EXACTLY how you feel. Don't worry about it, come on down. An MRI is what you need. After three days you will feel a lot better.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
If I come, are you going to send me out front to be attacked by the mega chicken again? Just wondering...

:thumbup:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I come, are you going to send me out front to be attacked by the mega chicken again? Just wondering...

:thumbup:

That is sooo funny!!!! We will be talking about mega chickens and grey vans for a very long time! :wink2:

We never know what the Ozarks will give us besides curvy roads. Just have to be prepared for whatever. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Great! Now we have mega chickens driving minivans around the Ozarks??? ????

I don’t want THAT confrontation! ?

·
Registered
352 Posts
chichen ??

Good job @revrunt on the 'fowl' control!!!!

That was a big'un..his neck must have been 4' long.

IT was looking down at you when you went around.:grin2:

Much like the van driver, it didn't want to be passed at first..

Also...........Looking forward to the MRI with Dr Monk !!!!

·
IronMan
17,628 Posts
Good job @revrunt on the 'fowl' control!!!!

That was a big'un..his neck must have been 4' long.

IT was looking down at you when you went around.:grin2:

Much like the van driver, it didn't want to be passed at first..

Also...........Looking forward to the MRI with Dr Monk !!!!
JUST WHEN YA THINK YA SEEN IT ALL ! A 6 FT 400 LB CHICKEN SHOWS UP ! WTH ! :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
You retired guys are killing me. 3 weekdays works awesome when you're retired, not so much before.

I'll try. Probably can't do 3 days...maybe one.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
You retired guys are killing me. 3 weekdays works awesome when you're retired, not so much before.

They do enjoy rubbing it in while we working folk fund their SS checks!

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They do enjoy rubbing it in while we working folk fund their SS checks!

Someone has to blaze the trail for the future retirees. It might as well be us!! :wink2:

You working guys can enjoy this to. It has already been pointed out, this is an MRI. It just takes a few days rather than one visit. It is a very extensive deal!! We like to call it our annual exam!! :thumbup:

·
IronMan
17,628 Posts
Someone has to blaze the trail for the future retirees. It might as well be us!! :wink2:

You working guys can enjoy this to. It has already been pointed out, this is an MRI. It just takes a few days rather than one visit. It is a very extensive deal!! We like to call it our annual exam!! :thumbup:
FOUND THAT WE KEEP THE TIRE PEOPLE WORKING ALL YEAR ! ( US RETIRED FOLKS ) !!:wink2::laugh:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fours Weeks Out

It is fours weeks until we can ride the Ozarks again. The good news, our weather is beginning change. Maybe we wont need boats to get into the mountains. :wink2:

If you have not done so it would be good to get reservations. We have some highway construction on highway 9 just north of town. It looks like a lot of those people are staying at the Super 8 during the week. I would suggest checking the pricing between the Super 8 and the Holiday Inn Express. Last I heard the Super 8 had gone up a few dollars and their pricing was closer to that of the Holiday In?

Looking forward to this!! Just need to diet a little to be ready for my next serving of Pie! :thumbup:

Reactions: Arizona16

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmm.. I do LOVE that western Arkansas riding...

We will be doing some of that! Actually during the three days I will try to cover all the really good roads in all of Northern Arkansas and if time and weather allows make it to southern Missouri as well. :thumbup:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
MRI routes

I want to throw out another option for those who are considering coming to this event. There could be several who would like to attend, but would really rather ride alone and/or with a couple of buddies during the event.

With that thought in mind, give me a little notice ahead of time and I will work up some printed routes for you. When I say notice, a couple days to a week should be plenty of time. I've been over these roads so much it would only take me a few minutes to put one together. The only problem would be having to come up with several different routes for various attendees. For that I would probably need some additional time.

The only unknown factor when doing these would be knowing the weather forecast ahead of time. And since the weather guessers don't know, then I sure wont. :wink2: You may wonder how this could affect the routes. Most of the time I don't make a final decision on which way I want to go in the mountains until the night before when I have a pretty good idea of where it may rain or storm?

Hope this helps riders who are on the fence about coming to this event. At least it provides another option. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If you have not done so it would be good to get reservations. We have some highway construction on highway 9 just north of town. It looks like a lot of those people are staying at the Super 8 during the week. I would suggest checking the pricing between the Super 8 and the Holiday Inn Express. Last I heard the Super 8 had gone up a few dollars and their pricing was closer to that of the Holiday In?
FWIW...

I stayed at the Holiday Inn last March instead of the Super 8 because it was only $14 more at the time. I found it to be FAR superior, and the breakfast was excellent. It’s a much newer facility and very comfortable beds. We just stayed there again for 3 nights and it averaged about $30/night more.

Of course, having provided this valuable info, I can’t go to the MRI! ?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I just booked into the Super 8. Called motel they have went up. Business must be real good with the constrution. I went online and rates much better. I could not get the reservation to go threw on website. Called the 800 number on Wyndahm site and they took care of it. Desk clerk at motel said they could not even come close to that rate.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts