GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monmouth Cycles Stay Away

Got a new Honda Goldwing and wanted to find a good local dealership to patronize. I would rather spend my money local and pay tax instead of spending on line and paying shipping. Let me tell you that Monmouth Cycle in Middletown NJ is not the place to shop!

I went in to buy some aftermarket highway pegs for the bike. The pegs come in two sizes, one for shorter riders and one for taller riders. being close to 6'3" I chose the style for taller riders. I was promised 2 day delivery and I paid in full. The 2 days came and went no pegs, they came in a week later, so I left on an extended trip and went to pick the pegs up when I got home.*

Went to the shop to pick up the late delivery of the pegs and when I get there the kid behind the counter finds the order and puts a box on the counter with the pegs for the shorter rider. I told him this is a mistake, I wanted the taller rider pegs. The counter kid argues with me and says this is what I ordered. I replied "no this is what you ordered, and it is not what I want". The counter kid says well I don't know what to tell you, but *if you don't take them I have to charge you a 40% restocking fee. At this point all I want is my money back and I'll go else where. Still arguing he insists I ordered the wrong item. In steps the "parts manager". He says that it is policy if an item is returned to charge the restock fee. I explained the item is not returned it never left the counter and it is not what I ordered. He could not grasp the concept. I explained it's like going to a restaurant and ordering a salad and they bring out a steak and you tell them that you ordered a salad and they want you to pay for the steak. *Ain't gunna happen. So the manager is bitching how this will cost him to ship it back. So he decides to split the difference and be a nice guy and only charge me $20 in restocking fees. Too little too late now, the relationship I was hoping to build is gone. Little does he know how much year I spend on MC gear. When i see that this is going nowhere i ask the manager if i could get in touch with or speak to the owner his reply was "yeah like ill let that happen". So I leave and call AMEX when I get home. I explained to them the problem and they agree with me 100%. As long I did not leave the store with the item no fee should be charged.*

I not looking for any special treatment just a fair shake. I may have been willing to split the restocking fee if I was not so insulted and told that I made a mistake and it was my fault when even if I went to order the shorter rider pegs a competent counter person would ask if I was sure.

Business must be good in order to treat new customers like trash. *My advice is if you are looking a shop that would value your business take your business any where but Monmouth Cycles.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Pre Paid? So would not the receipt prove or disprove the whole issue??

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pre Paid? So would not the receipt prove or disprove the whole issue??
Good point, but when I paid the receipt handed to me only had a part # not the item description.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well part numbers are different for different items.

But it is all irrelevant anyways. Whomever made the mistake, the end result is the customer is not happy.

I would have simply politely told you I am very sorry for the mistake we have made and I can refund your money or I can order you the correct items right now, immediately. I will have them shipped overnight air also.

As for the other pegs, and restock fee....hey I would sit them on the counter for sale at cost. They would be gone in a week.

Sounds like the dealer is struggling if they are worried about a restock fee and shipping and all that . A lot of them are, a great many have closed already and more will.

I would not take a lawnmower to our local dealer. And will not waste the time to even drop by to see if they have something because I know they will not. As for letting them work on my bike.....:eek:4::eek:4::evil::evil::evil: Not a chance, I do not even want them to air up the tire. I indeed comprehendo the frustration. A great many of them just do not get it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I can only assume that since you live in Woodbridge that you don't like Sport Honda in Metuchen. I personally don't like their sales staff and the owner isn't on my list of favorite people but the service staff and the parts department have been okay in my book. Ryan in service always goes out of his way to help out where he can. If you're having a bad day, you can always just go over and see Donna in the clothing department, and you soon forget your problems. As far as them working on my bike though, the only thingh I let them do is tire replacement and even then I double check everything when I get home.

If you are looking for top notch service though and a place to get accessories, go see Satch at Satch's Cycles right next door to Sport Honda in Metuchen. He claims that he will beat anybody's prices on accessories and get them just as fast as the dealer too. He's a fantastic mechanic and highly respected in the Central and North Jersey areas.

Good luck,

Ron

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I as many others find it unexcusable that in today economy, we as Americans should be doing all we can to keep customers happy.

After all, If we don't have repeat customers the doors will eventually close and jobs will be lost. I just don't get it! Must be the Obama plan....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a beef with the crew in Metuchen. I was just trying to spread the wealth. Yeah that worked well :p

·
Registered
175 Posts
Power Sports in East Hanover

These guys will go out of their way to make you happey they are a high volume parts and good service dealer, ALSO in Bellville Motorcycle Mall is another place to get parts. I don't know about their service but they are spending allot a money to relocate to a new building too. Sound like the parts manager and sales staff are ArseHoles If they are recharging a restocking fee for a part that will sell anyway all I can say is SIONRA SONNY! Ill go someplace else..

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I WOULD talk to the owner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
This story just doesn't make sense...the part number would indicate the exact pegs...short or long...no way two different pegs would have the same part number

Should be simple to sort through...could be the dealer entered the wrong part number

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Manager makes good.

To end a saga that took way to much time and energy the store manager at Monmouth Cycles made good and did the right thing in the end. Omar was professional, and although we agreed to disagree he refunded my card 100%.

Lessons learned;

Check the receipt and double check it again before leaving. Don't take anything for granted.

Escalate when not satisified.

Amex will side with the merchant ! No renewal on the gold card after 16 years they can shove that thing.

I so want to only spend my money local, I don't need a 3rd party to order from the Internet, I can do it myself. So other than on the shelf items, I'll order it myself.

Will I go back to Monmouth Cycles ? Since Omar did the right thing and solved a problem when summer rolls around I would like to stop in and meet him face to face.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts