GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monmouth Cycles Stay Away

Got a new Honda Goldwing and wanted to find a good local dealership to patronize. I would rather spend my money local and pay tax instead of spending on line and paying shipping. Let me tell you that Monmouth Cycle in Middletown NJ is not the place to shop!

I went in to buy some aftermarket highway pegs for the bike. The pegs come in two sizes, one for shorter riders and one for taller riders. being close to 6'3" I chose the style for taller riders. I was promised 2 day delivery and I paid in full. The 2 days came and went no pegs, they came in a week later, so I left on an extended trip and went to pick the pegs up when I got home.*

Went to the shop to pick up the late delivery of the pegs and when I get there the kid behind the counter finds the order and puts a box on the counter with the pegs for the shorter rider. I told him this is a mistake, I wanted the taller rider pegs. The counter kid argues with me and says this is what I ordered. I replied "no this is what you ordered, and it is not what I want". The counter kid says well I don't know what to tell you, but *if you don't take them I have to charge you a 40% restocking fee. At this point all I want is my money back and I'll go else where. Still arguing he insists I ordered the wrong item. In steps the "parts manager". He says that it is policy if an item is returned to charge the restock fee. I explained the item is not returned it never left the counter and it is not what I ordered. He could not grasp the concept. I explained it's like going to a restaurant and ordering a salad and they bring out a steak and you tell them that you ordered a salad and they want you to pay for the steak. *Ain't gunna happen. So the manager is bitching how this will cost him to ship it back. So he decides to split the difference and be a nice guy and only charge me $20 in restocking fees. Too little too late now, the relationship I was hoping to build is gone. Little does he know how much year I spend on MC gear. When i see that this is going nowhere i ask the manager if i could get in touch with or speak to the owner his reply was "yeah like ill let that happen". So I leave and call AMEX when I get home. I explained to them the problem and they agree with me 100%. As long I did not leave the store with the item no fee should be charged.*

I not looking for any special treatment just a fair shake. I may have been willing to split the restocking fee if I was not so insulted and told that I made a mistake and it was my fault when even if I went to order the shorter rider pegs a competent counter person would ask if I was sure.

Business must be good in order to treat new customers like trash. *My advice is if you are looking a shop that would value your business take your business any where but Monmouth Cycles.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
You said you paid in full for the item prior to delivery

I would think you would have a receipt with the part number and probably description of th eproduct.

Seems like it would be easy to present the receipt which presumably would have on it the correct item?? Thus nothing to argue about?? :shrug:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You said you paid in full for the item prior to delivery

I would think you would have a receipt with the part number and probably description of th eproduct.

Seems like it would be easy to present the receipt which presumably would have on it the correct item?? Thus nothing to argue about?? :shrug:
The receipt only had the part # no description. That would have been easy to spot before leaving.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From where you are, you'd be better off going to Sport Honda in Metuchen. (909 Middlesex Ave.)
Looks like some changes taking place at SportHonda. The Hondas were all moved to the back small building and now Kawasaki and BMW take up the front building. Are they going to jettison Honda?

I will not be going to Monmouth any time soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of a-holes, they don't deserve your business. In this economy one would think dealerships would be bending over backward to get repeat customers. Screw them...shop elsewhere.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Looks like some changes taking place at SportHonda. The Hondas were all moved to the back small building and now Kawasaki and BMW take up the front building. Are they going to jettison Honda?

I will not be going to Monmouth any time soon.
No, not jettisoning Honda, just making some strategic changes.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
No, not jettisoning Honda, just making some strategic changes.
Correct. It happens in all business. The young have more discresionary money so they do the buying. If it's not Honda they want, why put it out front.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Saw the same thing with Freehold Honda. They used to have the Wings up front, but then moved them all to the back wall. They are now gone and think there is a bank and a jug handle it its place. Teddy the Wing Tec and a copue of the service and sales guys moved to Extreme Sports on Rte 33. They will work on Wings and Teddy is an outstanding Wing tech. He is the tech that replaced my 02 frame in 05. Bike was better put together after that then when it came from the factory. Carmine from the old Woodbridge Power Sports is the service head.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The receipt only had the part # no description. That would have been easy to spot before leaving.
Forgive me for being stupid...but the pegs for shorter riders and the ones for taller riders have the same part number?
If that is the case how in the world can one order the correct item :bow:

As for Sport Honda...they closed the bldg that housed BMW and Ducati...they added Suzuki, KTM and Triumph (I believe they got the old Bound Brook franchise), moved all that to the front main building and gave the Honda line it's own building

I would not think the younger crowd has the $$$ to spend on Ducati and BMW, both high end machines, and Honda has some failry inexpensive products....their Honda line includes not only motorcycles but ATV's and power equipment (generators, snow blowers, lawn mowers) so it makes sense I suppose to create and all Honda shop

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sorry to her that... But I have not been able to find a decent dealer in NY either... I do know if they really exist... Kinda like a unicorn

Mark

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Saw the same thing with Freehold Honda. They used to have the Wings up front, but then moved them all to the back wall. They are now gone and think there is a bank and a jug handle it its place. Teddy the Wing Tec and a copue of the service and sales guys moved to Extreme Sports on Rte 33. They will work on Wings and Teddy is an outstanding Wing tech. He is the tech that replaced my 02 frame in 05. Bike was better put together after that then when it came from the factory. Carmine from the old Woodbridge Power Sports is the service head.
I bought 2 bikes at Freehold, both from Kevin ( who I got my wing from in Lancaster PA) for my wife. A ACE 1150 and a ST 1300. that was a dealer that took care of it's customers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts