GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been able to follow the board as closely over the past few months as I typically do. Recently I notice not so much praise and positive chatter about Progressive's monotubes. Maybe its just that they are no longer the new "in thing", or is it that they are boringly delightful, or are there chronic TECHNICAL problems that have quelled their popularity? If technical problems, what have they been?

prs

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
progressive

prs,

I put 21k on my 1st generation last year. I had a slow seal leak that I'm pretty sure was an installation issue in the left fork. I left one spacer and initially the adv hooked up. I quite soon found it to be harsh and fixed that by disabling the adv. I left the trees at the stock setting. I am pleased with the results overall and impressed with Progressives response to the small number of issues that happened. I would like to play around with the amount of fork oil a little. In the instructions, Progressive says what the maximum amount of fluid should be (later reduced for the right fork), they make no reference to minimum amounts of fluid. I intend to give our mutual friend in California a call before I button it up this spring. I have a long ride scheduled that will test the suspension, so new sliders will be done while I'm in there. I think that the conversation slowing down is simply because many of the questions have been answered.

Richard

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Had mine installed about 5000 miles ago (along with a Progressive spring on the rear shock) and I've had no problems plus I'm very happy with the improvement.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Richard! I kinda wondered about improving the front without improving the rear. I did the opposite years ago, added rear Progressive brand HD spring and test rode before adding the Progressive brand springs up front; YUK, what a horrible ride that was!

My ADG repair is holding-up very well with the Rocky clip; is yours still zipping along quietly? (Harrrrrr, hijacked me own thread.)

prs

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had mine installed about 5000 miles ago (along with a Progressive spring on the rear shock) and I've had no problems plus I'm very happy with the improvement.
Great! I have also been directed to a post by Suncrest on the general board. It seems some good things have been going on in product development. If I get a new GL1800 one of these days, I believe I will go with the monotubes right from the "get-go" and also an improved tree. For now, my trusty '02 is doing well.

prs

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I will be adding a Traxxion lower tree and monotubes to my current '06 probably within the next two weeks. I will keep you informed as to the satisfaction factor.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I'm very happy with my monotubes and improved lower tree. I didn't touch the rear because I have a 2012 that already has improved spring and shock. I think the lack of attention grabbing threads is because they're not new anymore, and it's only the few failures that get a lot of attention from the Traxxion crowd that amplify the minimal failures.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be adding a Traxxion lower tree and monotubes to my current '06 probably within the next two weeks. I will keep you informed as to the satisfaction factor.
Given your LOUSY winter has prolly been about the same as mine and your roads are probably just as devastated with slips, pot holes, and other such winter and salt damage; plus the situation with our states being too broke to pay attention, you will need the extra suspension stability.

I'm very happy with my monotubes and improved lower tree. I didn't touch the rear because I have a 2012 that already has improved spring and shock. I think the lack of attention grabbing threads is because they're not new anymore, and it's only the few failures that get a lot of attention from the Traxxion crowd that amplify the minimal failures.
Yep, I did not mention the Traxxion nay sayers 'cause I don't understand it. I have Traxxion full blow, but would I have preferred what Waldo is planning to do and keep my wallet fatter? Big yes, as long as the performance is there.

prs

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
1st gen, Monotubes, less than 10K so far but am more than happy with them. Also, a Rocky Tree on mine, but pretty sure a Goldwing Werks or Traxxion would be a great improvement to any Wing, sure was on mine. 2010 new shock and a Progressive spring, all five of these, (fork rebuild, MonoTubes, R/T, shock and spring), at the same time made my bike waaaay better than it ever was.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
it's only the few failures that get a lot of attention from the Traxxion crowd that amplify the minimal failures.
Which is a moot point since the Progressive crowd equally amplifies the minimal Traxxion failures as well......;)

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I have somewhere near 20,000 miles on my Gen1 Monotubes and I have been very happy with them. I installed them on my '05 in early 2013. I also upgraded the rear shock to a 2012 trike take-off with standard spring at the same time. The difference in ride quality over my sagged out OEM suspension is quite significant and much improved. For my money, I still think Progressive Monotubes offer the best bang for the buck and with a lifetime warranty, how can you go wrong?

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
1st gen, Monotubes, less than 10K so far but am more than happy with them. Also, a Rocky Tree on mine, but pretty sure a Goldwing Werks or Traxxion would be a great improvement to any Wing, sure was on mine. 2010 new shock and a Progressive spring, all five of these, (fork rebuild, MonoTubes, R/T, shock and spring), at the same time made my bike waaaay better than it ever was.
First 3k on mine, nearly the same setup (2012 shock, All-Balls) as this, and another happy rider. :thumbup:

I've been on a full Traxxion bike once - oh, it was nice, but this setup here is nice.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Which is a moot point since the Progressive crowd equally amplifies the minimal Traxxion failures as well......;)
The only problem I have with Traxxion is the cost. I couldn't justify it with lower cost alternatives that appear to provide comparable improvements. If I had unlimited funds I would have considered them. I have no doubt it's a quality product, but once I saw a few videos of Max I decided I didn't want to support his business. I would like to try a traxxion bike to see if there's a difference side by side though. Cost of maintaining a Traxxion system seems to be higher as well. At least that's what I've read(on the Internet).

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Cost of maintaining a Traxxion system seems to be higher as well. At least that's what I've read(on the Internet).
Regardless of the springs, cartridges etc installed in GL1800 forks, the same sliders, bushings, seals, o-rings and oil need regular attention. The other wear item when regular maintenance is ignored is the lower shock assembly. Shrug... they aren't aren't too expensive, if I recall $150.00 -190.00 depending which side.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I think i have about 30K on the original monotubes now and very happy with them so far no gas leakage no lock ups nothing knock on wood i refresh the forks every 50K or so or when there is a fork seal leak failure would i do it again maybe not i would save up and buy another class of bike but thats another story :thumbup:

·
Registered
324 Posts
monotubes

I have not been able to follow the board as closely over the past few months as I typically do. Recently I notice not so much praise and positive chatter about Progressive's monotubes. Maybe its just that they are no longer the new "in thing", or is it that they are boringly delightful, or are there chronic TECHNICAL problems that have quelled their popularity? If technical problems, what have they been?

prs
Mine have been installed for 15K miles no problem. They still ride great. 1st Generation. And i followed the original instructions for amount 0f oil. 265 one side 330 other side.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Given your LOUSY winter has prolly been about the same as mine and your roads are probably just as devastated with slips, pot holes, and other such winter and salt damage; plus the situation with our states being too broke to pay attention, you will need the extra suspension stability.
prs
Can't argue with that. Not even an ounce. Looking at sub temps in the foreseeable future too. Dem wooly bears don't lie. Here's a shot of one that I took this fall. NO BROWN at all. He was on target with his forecast.
1932491_10201348001609546_513283655_n.jpg

Regardless of the springs, cartridges etc installed in GL1800 forks, the same sliders, bushings, seals, o-rings and oil need regular attention. The other wear item when regular maintenance is ignored is the lower shock assembly. Shrug... they aren't aren't too expensive, if I recall $150.00 -190.00 depending which side.
Yup. I rebuilt my forks on my '01 and the last time I did them I went with All Balls bushings and seals. The all balls bushing required using a fork seal tool to install. The OEM never did, could put them in with fingers. Noticed an improvement in handling over OEM. too bad I only got about 500 miles on them.
2013-08-26_16-09-08_991.jpg

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
You really don't have to turn the forks that far to get them to lock. :joke:

Did I miss you posting about this? You ok?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Shattered left wrist and right thumb dislocation. The F4+4 saved my life by acting as an "air bag" of sorts. Thanks for asking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts