GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting my 2012 in the shop to have a trailer hitch installed. While they're at it, I'm going to have them install a new front tire, Rocky Tree, All Balls and check the cables (may be pulling on the bars). My main goal is to stop the deceleration wobble and pulling to the right problems. That may be all I NEED to do to fix those two issues.

Since they'll be pulling apart the front end, I'm wondering about putting in the Progressive Mono Tubes ($500 with installation), or just a couple of Race Tech Springs (probably $250 with installation). I would LIKE a little cushier ride over small bumps, but I'm not desperately unhappy with the forks. Any money I save on this upgrade will go toward paying for the trailer and for gas and travel expenses.

What do you think?

* Progressive Mono Tubes
* Race Tech Springs, or
* Put the money toward the trailer and gas?

:shrug:

SUMMARY:

I CHOSE THE RACE TECH SPRINGS, ALL BALLS AND ROCKY TREE.

FOR MY REVIEW, SKIP TO PAGE 4 AND READ POST 91

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Monotubes

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I had to make that choice, I went with the Mono Tubes.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
if he like the stock set up for the most part and seems to be on a budget cant he just get progressive springs?just a thought

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Been on many brands of suspension seeing I work on wings.

Remember if just going with "Springs" you are going to feel a firmer ride, after all you are installing firmer springs!
Yes they all say you can get them for your weight-But they are still stiffer springs than what's under you right now in the end.

Now if you want that cushy ride, then you will get that with the Mono Tubes. (No spacers for your weight). Yet the Mono Tube are right their when you want them to be.

No doubt about it. Progressive hit it out of the park with the release of the Mono Tubes shock kit.

Years ago you only had two options if you wanted a firmer suspension. but with that you had compromises as well. There was at the time no such thing as cushy & Firm. Well That is until Progressive came out with the Gas Mono Tubes that give you the best of both worlds.

Like it or not--They are the best suspension currently available. They have a reasonable cost. That requires no additional service. And are the only shocks out there for the GL1800 with a Lifetime Warranty!

It's your money-Spend it anyway you want too! ;)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Been on many brands of suspension seeing I work on wings.

No doubt about it. Progressive hit it out of the park with the release of the Mono Tubes shock kit.

It's your money-Spend it anyway you want too! ;)
Well said! Agree100%! :thumbup: Tom :trike:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Here's how I would sum it up (MHO...)

Basic issue: The Gl1800 stock suspension sucks. It's way under sprung and the anti dive set up is a joke.

1 - if you are lightweight, don't load up your bike, and generally ride straight roads or gentle curves in good weather to your nearest Dairy Queen:
Leave the stock suspension alone and enjoy your bike.
2 - if you are bigger and/or load up your bike and/or like to ride a bit sporty in curves:
Add appropriate rate front springs and disable the anti dive.
3 - If you ride hard long distances and load up the bike and like to ride hard in the twisties:
Go with any of the known options(progressive gold valves and springs, mono tubes, taxxion dynamics). Disable the anti dive valve. Get a matching rear shock with appropriate rate spring.

Notes:
If you have any work done then include tapered bearings installed.
For option 3: MHO is that any of the set ups will vastly improve your bike. If 100 is the maximum possible improvement, and 50 is stock, then any of them will get you to 85 or so. I would say that if the difference between 85 and 100 really matters to you then you should probably be considering a differnt bike. I'd also note that the vast majority of us do not have the skills to utilize that last 15... (yellow wolf and maybe 10 others excepted).

Cheers!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have had both in my 2012. Hands down the mono tubes are better for install and ride off happy, but there is always a but. The race tech is also a good system if you take the time to tune it chances are your not going to get it like you want it on the first attempt. This will drive you nuts because your thinking one more tweak and that will be it. if you install the upgrade and take it for what it is you will be happy, either way go. If your like I was reading on the forum and expecting a complete transformation of the bike. Well it's not that way at all. Traxxion, Race Tech or Progresive Is not a wonder drug for your Gold Wing. the best advise I can offer from experience if you change the front, change the rear at the same time with any of the front suspension upgrades you need to match the rear suspension before you realize the full benifits from the upgrade. I am running mono tubes and the progressive rear spring for fraction of the cost of the other manufactures it's a a good system. Good luck hope this helped. By the way I have The Race Tech Gold Valve setup with 1.0 springs if that's what your looking for.

MONOTUBE & PROGRESIVE REAR SPRING GETS MY VOTE.

·
Registered
324 Posts
monotubes

I am putting my 2012 in the shop to have a trailer hitch installed. While they're at it, I'm going to have them install a new front tire, Rocky Tree, All Balls and check the cables (may be pulling on the bars). My main goal is to stop the deceleration wobble and pulling to the right problems. That may be all I NEED to do to fix those two issues.

Since they'll be pulling apart the front end, I'm wondering about putting in the Progressive Mono Tubes ($500 with installation), or just a couple of Race Tech Springs (probably $250 with installation). I would LIKE a little cushier ride over small bumps, but I'm not desperately unhappy with the forks. Any money I save on this upgrade will go toward paying for the trailer and for gas and travel expenses.

What do you think?

* Progressive Mono Tubes
* Race Tech Springs, or

Monotubes cost $250 springs cost $100. Monotubes give you a much bigger improvement than just springs. I have done both and I recommend the monotubes. They are very much worth it.

P

·
0 Posts

What do you think?

* Progressive Mono Tubes
* Race Tech Springs, or

The number one thing in solving a problem like this is to do only one thing at time. If your main goal is to fix the "Pull Decel Wobble and pull to the Right", don't do 5 different things to it at once! you will never identify what specific thing fixed or didn't fix, each individual problem.

Start by just putting on new tires. Ride it for 500 miles in a variety of riding conditions and see if that fixes anything. Then do One thing at a time until you hit the money pitch

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Monotubes cost $250 springs cost $100. Monotubes give you a much bigger improvement than just springs. I have done both and I recommend the monotubes. They are very much worth it.
Same here.

MONOTUBES.

Best Regards.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I went with traxxion 1.1 springs when I had the front forks redone and could not be happier. A definite improvement from stock and works well for me and my kind of riding. When I rebuilt the front again I'll probably go with the mono tubes.:thumbup: Fred

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
mono tubes, Lifetime limited warranty

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
mono tubes love mine:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Good post #6, Rocky, cuts right to the chase.

·
Vendor
17,538 Posts
I can offer from experience if you change the front, change the rear at the same time with any of the front suspension upgrades you need to match the rear suspension before you realize the full benifits from the upgrade.
How true ... when I went with Progressives only in my front, I didn't like having different cycle rates from front to rear. The other thing I don't like about Progressives it how they raise the front end about 1". To me that is a real draw back.

S

·
0 Posts
Monotubes
Definately go with the monotubes and forget all the other nonsense like the trees. No need to fix imaginary things, stick with what is real.
I would also do the head bearings - but don't torque them set them as you would normal bearings.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
How true ... when I went with Progressives only in my front, I didn't like having different cycle rates from front to rear. The other thing I don't like about Progressives it how they raise the front end about 1". To me that is a real draw back.

If you dislike Progressive for this reason, you're going to Hate Traxxion who suggest you raise the forks 10mm in the trees because of the added height they produce.

Lets be clear, whenever you go to a firmer spring no matter the brand. They all raise the front end a bit. After all that's why you are installing them because the front end feels sacked out!!.

What the firmer springs also do it allow you to regain some lost fork travel, yes that in turn naturally involves longer shocks now that raise the bike. anyone who works on bikes should already know that! :shock:

·
Vendor
17,538 Posts
Definately go with the monotubes and forget all the other nonsense like the trees. No need to fix imaginary things, stick with what is real.
I would also do the head bearings - but don't torque them set them as you would normal bearings.
Traxxion makes a triple tree that is amazing. With hands off the bars, the steering response is amazing, and it only takes a turn of the head for the bike to respond. I currently have stock suspension in good condition with tapered bearings. For mine to respond like that, I have to lift and replant my *ss. It makes the handling extreemly predictable.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts