GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning a trip to Glacier, yellowstone and the jackson hole area the last of the month and the first of august is it a problem to find motels in these areas without reservations? i hate to have to be on a schedule and would rather play it by ear since we have never been to this area and don't know how long we will be staying in each area when we get there. I have checked a few and they don't have any vacancys for the dates I tried but I'm wondering if they don't offer a lot of rooms thru expedia, hotels.com and so on. Any ideas? Also we may try camping some since we will have our stuff with us and if the weather cooperates. Thanks for any help.:?:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Travel to Montana

You should have pretty toasty weather during your trip though you may get the occasional thunderstorm in the afternoon. Don't have suggestions on hotels in the immediate area but leading up to it you should have no problems.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You'll find plenty to choose from, although pricing seemed awful high, at least in my mind, when I was there a week and half ago...

Lots of nice campsites, but within the Nat Parks, many, if not all seemed primitive..

Regardless, I'm sure you will have great time, the sights are never ending, each one more picturesque than the last...be safe and enjoy

Doug / AG5I

·
Registered
949 Posts
Limited availability near those NPs isn't uncommon in the summer. Call ahead or stop early in the day to secure a room and then continue to tour the area. A couple years ago every motel room was sold out in West Yellowstone so we had to go up to a motel just out of Big Sky to find a room for the night.

And be very careful about traveling those roads in the dark . . . and don't if you can help it. On that trip, a pickup in front of us hit one of the 3 elk that appeared in the roadway after dark. We were following in a rental car and it was very hairy to see the elk get hit and then avoid him as he did a break dance on his back in the middle of the road. Just glad we weren't on the Wing. :eek:4:

The elk managed to barely make it off the road. My wife was very upset for him. I said he would be better in 20-30 minutes. She sighed a relief until I told her that his mewing would attract coyotes and/or wolves who would enjoy a fine dinner of fresh elk meat. :lol:

By the way, if you've never tasted elk, you're missing a treat. Better than beef!!!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
A lot of the popular national chain motels that are closest to the parks will be booked well in advance, especially on weekends. Sometimes it works to try the various internet booking services and you may get lucky that way if you can get online somewhere.

The last time I tried to book a room on a walk-in basis in the Glacier area led to a 150 mile nighttime ride to find a place to stay....not that much fun! I pretty much knew 3-4 days in advance that I'd be in that area but I procrastinated and paid the price later.

These days I try to plan ahead enough so that such "motel madness" doesn't occur. I also carry the motel directories for major chains so I always have access to the locations and most importantly the local phone numbers of those motels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts