·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time again :chef2::beer2: :thumbup:
http://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/Default.asp

Schedule of Events

*NOTE - Current as of January 19, 2009

Once again, this isn't just a one day event. The main event will still be Saturday April 18th, 2009 in Moonshine, IL, but other things will be planned during the 16th - 19th.

Thursday April 16th - Cookout
5 - 10PM is a cookout at Terry's house where you bring nothing. He furnishes it all for free. There will be Brats, BBQ, Pork Loin, Salmon and Shrimp along with side dishes, iced tea, coffee and dessert. Can't beat that, can you? Here is a Map to his house. *Note - The map shows the house number as 455. This is to show the physical location of the house. His house number is actually 410. I could let Terry step in here and explain this, but I'm afraid I don't have enough bandwidth and he may run out of gas telling you the story. Park out along Main Street as it is a "National Road" and the Casey street lights will really make this look so cool. Sign up/in will begin and and continue until noon on Saturday. If you don't sign up/in, we won't know you showed up. Long distance rider awards will be presented to the ones who make this event at Terry's house between 7:30-8:00PM.

Friday April 17th - Lunch, Ride and Dinner
10:30 AM, Sharp! We will leave the Comfort Inn parking lot in Casey and ride up to Stovepipe Grill & Smokehouse just off RT 16 East of Charleston to eat this year. Map of the area where it is at. Tim Yow has taken charge of this and will lead us on a scenic way home with some interesting sights on the way. Well, worth attending! We will be stopping off on the way up at a New/Unique/Old place the Oilfield Store for a brief stop on our way to the Stovepipe Grill & Smokehouse. We will leave The Oilfield Store at 11:00 AM, Sharp! We will be sitting down to eat at 11:30 AM.

Between 6:00 - 9:00PM, we will once again meet at Richards Farm Restaurant in Casey, IL. This place has great food and is always a great time socializing. We will once again have the almost legendary "Awards Banquet" during the meal. We will shoot for 7:00PM. We will highlight the Iron Butt Association members, past Iron Butt Rally riders, those who rode over 1,000 miles round trip, 1,000 miles 1 way and 2,000 miles 1 way to Moonshine. Everyone will get a chance to show how far they rode and we will end with the Longest Distant Riders of all. It is a "Must Make" if at all possible! Here is a Map.

Saturday April 18th - Moonburgers!
Starting at 7:00AM, come by the Casey Comfort Inn/Moonshine Headquarters. Everyone come by and sign up/in. If you don't get signed up/in, you are not an official "Moonie"! Sign up/in will end at noon Saturday. Make sure you are on "The List" before it is to late. Here is a Map.

Free coffee and the sweet roll lady will once again be there selling delicious sweet rolls. She will be set up at the Comfort Inn. She donates her time, ingredients and all money taken in goes to the Moonshine Mission Fund. She will only be there from 7:00 - 9:30 AM make sure and get there early as these are GREAT. Make sure you thank her for all she does!

At 8:25 AM, there will be a "Back Road/Follow the River Ride". Don Scott has agreed to take riders out on about a 75 mile trip. There will be a stop about half way and it will make it back in time for a Moonburger. It will cross flowing water and possibly be a muddy ride. This ride may not be suitable for certain types of bikes. It will all depend on the weather if we go or not. If it is raining and the creeks are way up, we will not go. You can see Terry's write up here. If your interested, email [email protected].

At 8:30 AM, there will be a "Blessing of the bikes" in the Comfort Inn parking lot. Thanks to CMA Chapter #836!

Between 8:00 - 10:00 AM, We will have a "Long Distant Motorcycle Show". At least, we will showcase bikes that you just do not see everyday. All will be chosen by a very elite panel that will showcase Long Distant bikes and their riders. It will be at the Comfort Inn and we will have 20 or so bikes that will show the clever ways Long Distant Riders make their bikes able to ride such great distances. Also, this will be a GREAT opportunity to chat with some of the "Unique" riders that can span the country in days and keep going for weeks on end. This will be great and we all can learn a trick or 3.

We will start sending groups of people down to Moonshine with "guides" to get us all there starting around 8:30 AM and about every 30 minutes until the last group leaves at 11:45 AM. Remember, Helen will serve food until 12:30 PM or until the line finally dies out, but lets try and get ordered before 12:30 PM SHARP like Moonshine is famous for! If you go straight to the store, here is the Map.

Between 6:00 - 8:00 PM, because of having so many people wanting to eat together, the Firefighters in Casey are going to put together a great Chilli Supper for a great cause. We will probably have a 50/50 drawing too. We can park on Main Street under the very cool Casey street lights and the School/Community Center will be set up for us all.

You can even buy Chilli Supper tickets in advance for 6.00 dollars or pay at the door for 7.00 dollars. We will have a list at the door of who has paid. Prepay will end Wed April 15, 2009 at 6:00 PM.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone on here made it to Moonshine:?: Its makes for a really neat destination :chef2:

·
Registered
202 Posts
It is certainly a "different" place. The hamburgers are very good and fresh. During the summer, and on Saturday, the place is elbow to elbow trying to get those burgers. Once you get your order, go outside to the picnic table and eat. Once you finish eating, go back inside and pay. It is totally on the honor system that you return to pay. I went up summer before last and there was probably a couple hundred people there then.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The Comfort Inn in Casey is booked, so I got reservations at the Budget Host in Greenup. Does anyone have knowledge of this motel? It is cheap, but the Budget Hosts in Texas can be iffy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Comfort Inn in Casey is booked, so I got reservations at the Budget Host in Greenup. Does anyone have knowledge of this motel? It is cheap, but the Budget Hosts in Texas can be iffy.
The Budget Host is okay it's probably around a 1-2 star hotel.
There are several nice hotels in Mattoon if you're willing to ride about 35 miles to Casey.
List of hotels in Mattoon. Hope this helps http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=mattoon+il+hotels&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&ei=J9OpSbXfE4aaMpyXnLEC&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1

Map to Moonshine http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=N+600th+St+%26+E+300th+Rd,+Martinsville,+IL+62442&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.357014,59.238281&ie=UTF8&ll=39.198671,-87.891483&spn=0.008448,0.014462&z=14&iwloc=addr&om=1&source=embed

:thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anyone makes the Moonshine Run and is in the Mattoon area my garage will be open to any anyone in need :thumbup:
I have 2 bike stands air compressor with a whole slew of tools. I know it can really suck to be away from home and in need or a wrench :tools1:

We don't have a GW yet but were working on it ;) So hope no one minds a VTX guy hanging around :lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ron,

You might see what you could find around Marshall,Illinois that is a little way's east of Moonshine
About 20 miles If my memory has not failed me.

Robinson,Illinois might also be good

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen this on CBS. Need info: Best places to stay, GPS directions and/or coordinates, etc. I've wanted to do this & better make motel reservations now.
Here are the coordinates for Moonshine latitude 39.191 and longitude -87.896.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Their will be about five of us going to the run from bolingbrook, il friday night.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m gonna be real honest here. I come to this forum once in a while (not sure why yet) and a read a bit then get irritated by some of the comments and personal attacks that banter back and forth. And, to be honest, web based forums solve nothing; I’m a get in the mud and fix the problem type person. However, I think I come back to this forum because sometimes out of the blue I come across something that just fits the bill. The Moonshine Run is just one of those things. An event that started out of the blue and has prospered into a yearly event with a purpose; that purpose being to donate to missions, helpful charities and just all-round good things. :thumbup: I rode to Moonshine a few years ago with a friend and always wanted to hit the burger joint again but back to back deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan have precluded that desire for about three years. :-( Some friends and I have been planning a trip for a couple of months and was going to do it last weekend the day before Easter; poor planning on my part. :frown: So we rescheduled for this weekend. We were going to run over to New Salem State Park. ..NOT. Expect us at Moonshine for Lunch.:biker:
Thanks you sooooo very much for your efforts and your dedication in ensuring excess funds go to good causes. Look forward to seeing you all… it will give you a chance to check out one of Tom Finch’s World-class :bow: Tailwind Trailers.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Mrs. Trek and I were going but I called and cancelled our hotel reservations last week so we could go to the TN Lunch Run. So many rides, so little time.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I went and had a great time and a great burger, the weather was 75 and sunny, and their were a lot of people, well over one thousand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went as well. I was toward end of the line to get served. When I was leaving they were shutting down the grill. I don't know the final count, but at that time they had set a new record of 1,081 Moonburgers sold!

The burger I got was one of the best I've ever had!

Ride Safe and Ride Often,
Dave

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
anyone headed to Moonshine 2011 ?

Maybe not to the gathering, but definitely on my summer RTE list.

Always eager to help support a mom and pop operation and meet like minded friends.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I wouldn't mine going

Cycledude.would like to go we will have to talk in march and see how many WI boy's we can get together?? Let's keep in touch on this!!!:yes1::cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts