GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw the thread saying 2018 was the last one. I never was aware of this and I'm sorry I missed it. I am not far from Casey and was wondering if anyone who went could post some good roads/routes around there. I'm having a hard time finding any roads in S. Illinois that are worth riding. They are either flat and straight or the surface is El-crapo.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Take an extra day and ride over to western Missouri where you will find many fun rides!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just saw the thread saying 2018 was the last one. I never was aware of this and I'm sorry I missed it. I am not far from Casey and was wondering if anyone who went could post some good roads/routes around there. I'm having a hard time finding any roads in S. Illinois that are worth riding. They are either flat and straight or the surface is El-crapo.
Or both. I'm in the Charleston, IL area with the same issues. Sometimes, even on beautiful, wind-free, glorious days, I'll sometimes not bother to ride. That never happened when I lived in the far NW IL area. Gorgeous roads in great condition (especially when riding Wisconsin's dairy roads) just a short ways away. Down here, I can't even think of good places to go without committing to an overnight and the few places that might be fun (you mentioned the, RIP, Moonshine Run) have horrible roads and are infested with gravel-trucks. Takes a lot of the fun out of just taking shorter day-rides.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Check out motorcycleroads.com. They have roads and rides in every state. They have a break down of what kind of roads your looking for, from excellent to not so good.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
KUGO, I'm with you!
I never rode a mcy until I moved to NW IL from Champaign in 1970.

Purchased a Honda CB 450 soon after and have never looked back.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Talked to a couple riders that went to Moonshine this year, even though the event has been cancelled he claims a couple hundred bikes showed up.
My opinion Moonshine was a great event and I’m very thankful I got to attend a few times.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take an extra day and ride over to western Missouri where you will find many fun rides!
I'm originally from Missouri and know quite a few routes in that area, but it sucks to have to ride 2 hours there and 2 hours back just to find a decent ride. Sometimes I just have time on a Saturday morning or something like that. A local ride would be great. I have only found one that's close, but that's going to get old pretty fast, was hoping to find a couple others.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't know if any of you have tried the CALIMOTO app. It plans rides for you based on the criteria you give it for the type of ride you want that day. You enter any places you want to go, if any, tell it time and/or distance preference, twisties and fun roads ?, or just "gotta get there" info and go ride. They have a premium (pay) level, too, of course, but someone who's interested would have to try it and report back as I knew that paying for the service's extra-super-duper features wasn't going to improve the basic problem for me. See caveat below.

One caveat: if you live in a place like I described above in Charleston, IL, the app just responds with a "Ya gotta be kidding me! Ya gotta gimme somethin' to work with!" and an emoticon with shrugged shoulders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts