GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be in Maine for a week of R&R in mid-July. We'll be staying at a B&B on Moosehead Lake for three nights and then we'll head down to Acadia National Park and Mt. Desert for a day before heading back home.

I'm looking for some good riding roads, points of interest or great eating places in the Moosehead Lake area. What should we not miss while we are there?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Moosehead trip

Just got computer back up & saw your note. Hope this is not too late. Not much in Moosehead area except scenery and whitewater activities. Roads probably little rougher than what you have in Fl. but scenery compensates. Of interest to you is a boat ride on the lake, out of Greenville, 1914 ferry built by Bath Iron Works. (kathadinecruises.com).
Which way you coming into state, may lead to other worthwile options. also where and when you staying, maybe I can visit if you like.
Eating, most towns have good local inns/restaurants but some of the inns tend to be pricey. Save you seafood cravings till the coast, right now lowest they have been in a while. Not much info for you but anything specific let me know. v/r Easy ED

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got computer back up & saw your note. Hope this is not too late. Not much in Moosehead area except scenery and whitewater activities. Roads probably little rougher than what you have in Fl. but scenery compensates. Of interest to you is a boat ride on the lake, out of Greenville, 1914 ferry built by Bath Iron Works. (kathadinecruises.com).
Which way you coming into state, may lead to other worthwile options. also where and when you staying, maybe I can visit if you like.
Eating, most towns have good local inns/restaurants but some of the inns tend to be pricey. Save you seafood cravings till the coast, right now lowest they have been in a while. Not much info for you but anything specific let me know. v/r Easy ED
Thanks Easy Ed,
You're not too late. We plan to leave NJ on July,15. Our route is still tentative at this point, but we will most likely come into ME on Hwy 2 from Gorham, NH. In ME, we'll use a combination of 2, 150, 151, 16 and 15 to get to Greenville. We're staying three nights at the B&B, so we're looking for some nice rides and good eating places in the Greenville/Moosehead Lake area. We plan to take a ride on the Steamship Katahdin and I already have a few recommendations for some rides, but information from a local would be appreciated. The morning of the 19th we will head down to Bar Harbor and tour around Acadia National Park/Mt. Desert. Got any secret favorite places you'd like to share? ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
moosehead

Hello again, According to my son, a neat thing to do is a float plane ride in the area.
A day ride, 6/15N to Rockwood-Jackman, 201S to Bingham thru Forks along the Kennebec River and back home via 16 to Abott Village& to Greenville. Approx. 150 mi. but could be all day. From Gorham on always be on alert for wildlife, deer or moose.Usually dont see any during day
but sunset on highest danger.
If time permits, riding up Mt. Washington in Gorham area cool, usually best in AM before cloud coverage, and at Bar Harbor definitely climb Cadillac Mt. About all I know of that area, I am in Freeport. Let me know if you're coming thru outbound. v/r Easy Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts