GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the rain starting in Oregon, thought I'd get a feel for the ABS on my bike. I had a K1100LT that had ABS, and it was very obvious when I engaged it for testing (dry conditions). All the testing on both bikes was with the rear brake only.

On the GL, is there a minimum speed above which ABS engages?
Is it obvious when it is engaged?

I did a couple of test runs on a private road the other day in the rain, and it really didn't feel like it was engaged: no pulsing. I couldn't tell if the rear tire was skidding. It was ~20 mph. The ABS light functions as normal (going out shortly after starting). Next time, I'll have someone watch the rear wheel.

thanks
GaryV

·
Registered
918 Posts
When you start the bike the ABS light is on. As soon as you start to move the ABS light goes off, indicating that it is activated.

I've used mine a few times, most times because I had no choice. I've never felt any pulsation or tire stopping/starting and I have stood on the rear brake in the rain for testing.

The Wing's ABS is just very smooth. If you hold your front brake, for example at a stop light, every once in a while you'll feel a pulsation and as I understand it that is the ABS doing a self test.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
As dchance pointed out, once you start moving the ABS is "ON"

The ABS system "activates" when the tires start to lock up. Unless you are in a "skid" ABS and non-ABS systems operate essentially the same.

And yes every so often you wil feel a pulse in the brake lever or brake pedal...it is the ABS doing it's check or whatever it does.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks. That's the type of information I was looking for. The 94 BMW ABS wasn't too smooth. It was very smooth on the GL. So once the light goes out, the ABS should be activated? I'll still try and get a witness to confirm, but thanks.

GaryV

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you can find some sand, you will be able to get the ABS to activate easily. It is a lot smoother than the R1100RT-P BMWs I have driven.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
If you really get on the brakes hard you will leave short skid marks on the pavement. There will be no feedback through the levers. Try it using both brakes.

My RT feels like it's coming apart when the ABS activates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts